I think This I Love is an embarrassment.

inthisriver

I think you need to have some personal experience of having your heart ripped out of your chest to undestand this songs magic because this i love captures the sound of a breaking heart perfectly. great song

Like there isn't a billion of those already, that song says nothing that a tune from Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand or any number of country artist doesn't say as well, or much better.

Besides, the last thing this world needs is another silly love song.

Their music is radio fluff, created to make money. "This I Love" is one mans inner torture, created to express said inner torture. Two completely different things.

Edited by Nintari

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to have some personal experience of having your heart ripped out of your chest to undestand this songs magic because this i love captures the sound of a breaking heart perfectly. great song

Like there isn't a billion of those already, that song says nothing that a tune from Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand or any number of country artist doesn't say as well, or much better.

Besides, the last thing this world needs is another silly love song.

Their music is radio fluff, created to make money. "This I Love" is one mans inner torture, created to express said inner torture. Two completely different things.

so he wrote a horrible cliche power ballad to express the torture he was feeling?

ya know, that actually kinda makes some sense

While I agree some of the lyrics may be pushing into the andrew llyod weber area... I think it takes extreme cahonahs to be a touch guy rock star and record and put out this tune. To me This I Love is truly the unadulterated sound of a heart breaking.... I Love it.. and Robins Solo really knocked it out of the park.

I get how some people may not like it... those are probably people that shut off the emotion valve after a certain point rather than feel things in there entirety. Anyone who has ever had their heart broken should be able to relate to this tune.

I also think it takes some time to grow on some. My girlfriend thought it was crap when she first heard it but then I put it on a gnr mix cd to get her primed for the Saskatoon show and one day she busts out "wow that really is a beautiful song" ... I should add she is someone who shuts off the emotion valve when things get too intense.

Just my two cents

I get how some people may not like it... those are probably people that shut off the emotion valve after a certain point rather than feel things in there entirety. Anyone who has ever had their heart broken should be able to relate to this tune.

Never that simple. There's people who don't shut off the emotion valve, and have had their heart broken, and still don't like the song.

Never that simple. There's people who don't shut off the emotion valve, and have had their heart broken, and still don't like the song.

Look at the difference of the two different songs, both deal with heart break. Unrequited love isn't an enjoyable experience at all and it practically ripped my heart out, and Axl doesn't sound like a sobby, woe me, I forgot to take my antidepressants and just watched phantom of the opera while singing it, same with Estranged.

All these songs deal with, in essence, the emotional sorrow of heart break and or unrequited love. This I Love is just.... well I've always shared how I feel about it. The whole, "well you just haven't experienced true pain, or aren't emotional confident" argument is bullshit. This I Love is a pitiful song.

Some may like it, and that's cool, but the far, far, far, majority of rock n' roll and Gn'R fans probably don't -- and for just reason.

His intro few verses would have been epic if it turned into something a little heavier instead of the whiny "so if shes somewhere near me..." into the melodramatic piano section, and then it goes onto to him pleading like a bum fifteen years removed from a relationship who still can't get over it. The solo almost saves it, but instead no.

well hey you can't please everyone all the time.... I think it rocks, tons of people hear think it rocks and no matter how many times you say "it sucks people who like are retard" blah blah it won't change the fact some people really enjoy the song...

I just imagine Axl in this dimly lit room, with pictures of Stephanie Seymour all over the walls, a la Dexter's kill room, with the only illumination coming from an old VHS playing scene in November Rain where she gets into the car after the wedding with the look of regret in her eyes on loop, wondering where things went wrong and mustering up his all these feelings of regret and animosity, wondering why Aphrodite has bestowed upon him such despair and emotional heartache.

I hate this song with a passion and the first time I heard it I couldn't help but laugh and figured I would just skip when ever I listened to CD. Then GNR started the CD 3.4.6 tour and they were playing it live. I never thought in a million years Axl would play it live. It's by far the most cringe worthy song I've ever heard. What the fuck was axl thinking?

I'm thinkin' your a fkn idiot, who wouldn't know a good song if it splattered on your face, you are cringe-worthy as well as tone deaf, insensitive,and it's real easy to knock somone.*s efforts from behind ur puter keys,how many songs have u written? and your signature is more relevant and revealing than you probly meant it ta be,so suck on that behind your cyber safety net

Congratulations! Shittest post of the day award! Here's tip bud, it's a discussion forum, not everybody has to agree. I love the song to be fair but DB's entitled to his opinion.

I just know fuck, money, blood, and "stop, she said no".

True dat! :rofl-lol:

Dazed and very confused, someday maybe you'll not be afraid to show your real emotions to the world and stop hiding behind false bravado, It''s a brilliant song with heartfelt lyrics, but who really cares what a fake Bowie and a rip-off of a zepplin song think on a fkn message board? Won't change my opinion at all kids ;)

I think Axl delivers in this song. It would be even better if recorded with Slash. To me "Sorry" is the worst. I love the beginning of This I Love.

Completely agree with this.

The whole Album is let down by the music, Axl delivers but the music is fucked.

This song is the biggest example of that.

Dazed and very confused, someday maybe you'll not be afraid to show your real emotions to the world and stop hiding behind false bravado, It''s a brilliant song with heartfelt lyrics, but who really cares what a fake Bowie and a rip-off of a zepplin song think on a fkn message board? Won't change my opinion at all kids ;)

What are you on about you bellend? I said I think it's an amazing song! That means I like it in case you struggle to read without moving your lips. I think live it's one of the best songs in the current live set especially the live recording from Calgary in January.

The point is you were making personal attacks on DB for no reason, and he's alright. So take your business elsewhere thankyouplease!

Here's what I said again just to clarify:

Congratulations! Shittest post of the day award! Here's tip bud, it's a discussion forum, not everybody has to agree. I love the song to be fair but DB's entitled to his opinion.

I don't mind waiting a while for your apology if you need to go get somebody to read it to you. :thumbsup:

Here's a tip for you, don't underestamate the mental capabilities of whom you may be trying to convey a thought, it's cute to use 6th grade insults but not very effective, TIL was great in the London 02 gigs as well,

Do you share an account with DB? Wondering why you are jumping up to defend his honor,and what does he expect making a topic like this? TIL is far from "an embarrassment" but the reasons for disliking the song are shallow,at best, TIL is one of the highlights of the concerts, it is beautifully written and the heartfelt lyrics are expressed sincerely, I guess true feelings are not something everyone is comfortable with, but the song has gone over well in all the shows so far,

I expect it to do well in Austrailia as well,Its far from

"an embarrassment",relay this to DB please,as he seems unable to respond for himself, kids :rolleyes:

Here's a tip for you, don't underestamate the mental capabilities of whom you may be trying to convey a thought,

Nuff said.

:shrugs: whatcha gonna do? this topic is mygnr at its worst and best at the same time.

Song is still poor though...

nah, just your judgement and lack of taste that is poor,

go listen to Justin Bieber,that may be more up your alley ;)

Here's a tip for you, don't underestamate the mental capabilities of whom you may be trying to convey a thought,

Nuff said.

:shrugs: whatcha gonna do? this topic is mygnr at its worst and best at the same time.

Song is still poor though...

nah, just your judgement and lack of taste that is poor

nah, it's the song :thumbsup:

2 songs wrong with chinese democracy and this is one of em.

Its simply just gay as fuck. simple.

There was a time was fucking awesome there was shit goin on musically and it was nuts. Same with if the world, even street of dreams didnt getthat bitchy.

This song is just whiney and the only good part of it is the solo. the rest is just shitty to listen to.

Its almost as bad as sorry.

If the vid had Axl playing piano on a snow capped mountain it would go No. 1.

..with Robin out of the band, who would they show playing Robin's guitar work? ..as I doubt Dj Ash would want to be seen as the face to a sound that isn't his.