THE OFFICIAL DEC 01/2010 Townsville, QLD (Australia) @ Reid Park Update Thread

gunsguy

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing they don't do Scraped or Shackler's much?

Maybe as the band hasn't played for a few weeks they decided to leave them out. Vocally both of those songs are pretty demanding so maybe Axl will wait a couple of shows until his voice gets back into the regime of being excercised regularly.

I thought AC/DC were Scottish the last time I checked??

Nope, they're an aussie band, I think Brian Johnson is a scott though?

Angus & Mal were born in Glasgow and Bon Scott was from Kirriemuir (only about 30 mins North from me) but moved to Oz when they were still kids. Brian is from Dunston in Gateshead in the Northeast of England.

I see. So technically they're Scottish then.

I'm just amazed he finally ditched that appalling silver jacket! Lookinj good Axl! Now if he cud just shop for a new pair of trousers.... :xmasssanta:

Also can someone please post "Don't Cry" vid from this concert??

Edited by Janis

I see. So technically they're Scottish then.

Indeed. Scottish by birth and they lived here certainly enough years to understand and absorb the culture.

Brian is what's called a "Geordie" which is someone from Newcastle in Northeast England. Technically Brian is from Gateshead which is classed as a separate town from Newcastle but it's essentially just at the other side of the Tyne river and is only a few minutes drive. Brian is also a Newcastle United supporter.

How was the security, any shit about bringing cameras into the venue?

Nope. You can bring cameras - just no "professional" gear or "video recording devices". Point and click cameras were fine - they gave us more shit about water bottles than anything else.

I was happy with the setlist and the crowd loved the show in the end

Agreed - and you and I both knew which songs were coming next. Guys, this was essentially a big country town. I shit you not, more than half the people I spoke to yesterday had only just found out Slash wasn't in the band. They wanted to hear the hits! I'm not saying the new songs weren't well recieved (Sorry and TIL went down really well, got some huge cheers), but if they'd played a set of new stuff, they would have lost the crowd halfway through. The length? Unless they had gone on earlier, they couldn't have played any longer. By midnight, I couldn't stand anymore - I would have had to leave, and I think a lot of people were feeling drained. We'd already had 30 mins from Shihad and an hour from Korn, 2 hours from Guns was perfect otherwise it would have dragged a bit.

I checked some of the phone videos - video is perfect, audio is useless. You can hear some parts in Sorry, but most of it is distorted by the heavy bass at the front. Tad disappointed. That song was my highlight of the night and I don't even like it all that much on the album.

(Sorry and TIL went down really well, got some huge cheers)

At the gig I went to I felt these two went down the best of the new songs too, which again is peculiar as of the ones they played they were probably my least favourite on the record. I have a feeling that it may be to do with because they both have choruses with an easy to follow melody and so its easier to follow the song, and also that as they are the less musically cluttered songs, you can hear Axl very very well on them, not only the quality of his voice but actually the words he is singing aswell - which just makes the songs resonate immediately more.

Pleased to hear the show was great.

Edited by JAC185

How was the security, any shit about bringing cameras into the venue?

Nope. You can bring cameras - just no "professional" gear or "video recording devices". Point and click cameras were fine - they gave us more shit about water bottles than anything else.

I was happy with the setlist and the crowd loved the show in the end

Agreed - and you and I both knew which songs were coming next. Guys, this was essentially a big country town. I shit you not, more than half the people I spoke to yesterday had only just found out Slash wasn't in the band. They wanted to hear the hits! I'm not saying the new songs weren't well recieved (Sorry and TIL went down really well, got some huge cheers), but if they'd played a set of new stuff, they would have lost the crowd halfway through. The length? Unless they had gone on earlier, they couldn't have played any longer. By midnight, I couldn't stand anymore - I would have had to leave, and I think a lot of people were feeling drained. We'd already had 30 mins from Shihad and an hour from Korn, 2 hours from Guns was perfect otherwise it would have dragged a bit.

I checked some of the phone videos - video is perfect, audio is useless. You can hear some parts in Sorry, but most of it is distorted by the heavy bass at the front. Tad disappointed. That song was my highlight of the night and I don't even like it all that much on the album.

Whats the deal with Korn? Lets be honest GNR, new or old dont mix well with them. Did some of the fans show up late or were the Korn and Guns fans more or less seperate?

Just met Pitman, dizzy, Tommy, rich and the foot at Townsville airport! They all looked tired as hell so I didn't want to bug them, just went up, shook hands and said hi. :)

Awe that's awesome man! :thumbsup:

Not nearly as cool as it would have been to meet Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steve.

Plus, it's just 1 more shred of proof that Axl feels he is to good to travel with these guys.

Just met Pitman, dizzy, Tommy, rich and the foot at Townsville airport! They all looked tired as hell so I didn't want to bug them, just went up, shook hands and said hi. :)

Awe that's awesome man! :thumbsup:

Not nearly as cool as it would have been to meet Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steve.

Plus, it's just 1 more shred of proof that Axl feels he is to good to travel with these guys.

and so is Frank and DJ? :rolleyes:

Haha actually I met frank too- Dj was there but I didn't get a chance to meet him. Too good? Bringing a full sized jet to Aus is way too expensive for 4 dates - Axl is probably flying chopper or a small charter to the other dates. He can't fly cattle class, he'd get swamped!

Thought it was great that we made it 15 pages before some moron had to step in. Oh well - see you on your next account, Duke/BBA/whateverthefuckothernameyoucomebackunder - get a life and go annoy someone else.

any idea of attendance?

Hearing Axl sounded great has got me pumped for saturday!

Anyone know what the expected crowd is for Sydney? What's the capacity of Telsta Stadium? The V8 website said over 100,000?

thats the expected attendance for the whole weekend, including shit like tony hawk and the day events etc. i'd say thered be about 30-50000 at the actual GNR concert.

Axl is probably flying chopper or a small charter to the other dates. He can't fly cattle class, he'd get swamped!

Exactly!!!

Thought it was great that we made it 15 pages before some moron had to step in. Oh well - see you on your next account, Duke/BBA/whateverthefuckothernameyoucomebackunder - get a life and go annoy someone else.

Lol. :thumbsup:

I thought AC/DC were Scottish the last time I checked??

Nope, they're an aussie band, I think Brian Johnson is a scott though?

Angus & Mal were born in Glasgow and Bon Scott was from Kirriemuir (only about 30 mins North from me) but moved to Oz when they were still kids. Brian is from Dunston in Gateshead in the Northeast of England.

Cliff Williams, the bassist is English too. Only Phil Rudd was born in Oz. Bon Scott had a 'Scotland forever' tattoo. AC/DC seem quite Anglo Australian. The bottom line though is that they are true hard rock gods and to put it simply, just awesome.

Haha actually I met frank too- Dj was there but I didn't get a chance to meet him. Too good? Bringing a full sized jet to Aus is way too expensive for 4 dates - Axl is probably flying chopper or a small charter to the other dates. He can't fly cattle class, he'd get swamped!

I have a question in regards to Axl and cattle class, does anyone know of him flying without Beta? If he doesn't then I know he has atleast 1 cattle class flight in Australia!