Pyros on LALD

JAC185

When I was at the London show a little while back I felt that not only they were out of place, but they were slight out of time too, it really makes that section of the song a little awkward, which is disappointing because its just before Axl launches into his awesome scream. Anyone else noticed this at the gigs they've been at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljoQCs5HmWM

I was at the same show and didn't notice anything wrong with them. I think they're fucking awesome regardless, you have to be right down the front/on the barrier to get the full effect, the heat is intense and really adds to the anger in the song.

I think they put them 1 seconds or less out of time on purpose to avoid the 2002 version of LIVE AND LET BOOM! It is fine in the song though, and is loud poppers pretty cool

I dont know for sur eif they are doing it on purpose but I think they are, the song is called Live And Let Die, not Live And Let BANG

Edited by gunsguy

When I was at the London show a little while back I felt that not only they were out of place, but they were slight out of time too, it really makes that section of the song a little awkward, which is disappointing because its just before Axl launches into his awesome scream. Anyone else noticed this at the gigs they've been at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljoQCs5HmWM

I remember that actually in Belfast (possibly Dublin too, I can't remember), they were slightly out of time. That said, I was in the front row and the intense heat pretty much stopped you from caring, it was great.

Whoever is triggering the pyro probably hits them on perfect time some nights and a little off on others. I know nothing about how the pyro works but I imagine that once it's triggered it is still a second before it actually goes off. In other words, if they are doing it "in time" to the music, the pyro doesn't explode instantaneously upon hitting the button which triggers it. It also depends on the band, sometimes Axl might leave a bit of extra space before he says "Live and Let Die" so the pyrotechnician has to try and judge the timing right. Thus, some nights it is better than others.

I was at the same show and didn't notice anything wrong with them. I think they're fucking awesome regardless, you have to be right down the front/on the barrier to get the full effect, the heat is intense and really adds to the anger in the song.

you should go to a rammstein show and feel the heat, 20 meters from the barrier:D

At the show in Denmark the pyros were out of time too. Which made me feel like a retard when I threw my hands in the air everytime it was supposed to say BOOM, and it then first did a second later..

Made me LOL

and yes, they were a bit off at Sweden Rock festival as well

Edited by CheapJon

I think Gunsguy was onto something with the not drowing out of the "Die" with a loud explosion. The band all seem to come in on the explosion which implies they are used to it being in at that point.

But there is always a timing problem with things like that, it can't be helped.

The main issue would probably be making one last check to see that no band members are near the flames. I would much rather have some late pyro than have a band member horribly burned.

Edited by plonker88

This is an outrage. I refuse to see GNR if they come around here becuase of this inexcusable event. How could they????

....the pyro.......why???? *cries.......*dies*>>>>

dfDFDDFgfhsfjGEWSJKDGJD

if you feel that way, you're a retard

if you think that's what we're saying, you're a retard

are you a retard?

I distinctly remember this from the Hamilton show. I like how it is delayed, I think it is better that way.

Nevermind. Wasn't delayed at Hamilton. Don't know why I remember that, maybe it's like that on one of my bootlegs I listen to regularly.

Edited by CoBrA2168

^ Well that was a superb contribution to this discussion, thank you for your insight.

I really feel the pyro detracts from Live and Let Die, it just about slows the song down to the point of stagnation, they were perfect in 2006.

I always assumed it was the difference in distance between pyro at the rear of the stage - and front of house sound reaching you at different times...

I don't think sound travels that slow!

It does, relative to light anyway - this is why the bloom from the pyro hits way before the sound, and that people near the back of the venue are regularly convinced the singer is miming!!!

You gotta remember, GnR play HUGE stages, and the distances involved between back of stage and the front of house PA (which often hangs way out front of the stage) are large. I'm not saying that this accounts for all of the delay though, which seems pretty intentional - but it's certainly a factor.

Yeah gotta admit, although not the end of the world, it does sounds a little shit and unprofessional the way they're so behind the music.

I assume the Jungle one is on time as it's just a simple 'one shot' pyro and bang, so perhaps the pyros for LALD aren't up to the job and they should just have 1 bang or get rid of them altogether.