A concept album

Unknown Caller

I'm listening to Dark Side and with the exception of the song Money which I don't really care for this album is phenomenal.

But beside the point, I think if Axl ever did release another album (I doubt he ever will), it would be great to hear a concept type album that just had nice transitions between everything. If Axl did one about his life, like his childhood, his journey into fame, his downfalls and to his withdrawals from society, he could write his magnum opus. The story I'm thinking of reminds me of The Wall in a way. It would be the perfect way to end his career because I feel like he set himself up with unfinished business.

Opinions and/or concerns?

There seem to be recurring themes and a story or journey. It's like a concept album about the making of a concept album.

It's not like one of those metal albums where there's a fictional character and the lyrics tell the story. Wasn't Maiden's Final Frontier a concept album.

I don't think of Dark Side as a concept album, but if you take a look at this tour schedule, how did they have the time to go in the studio and work on the album? Keep in mind they were also working on the music for "Obscured by Clouds" (you can hear hints of "Dark Side" here and there), "Live at Pompeii", and playing the backing band to a ballet.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/concert-dates/1972-tour-dates-concerts.html

They actually worked most of the music out at the concerts through 1972, and might have been the least amount of studio time they've ever used since the band started.

I'd like to see Axl collaborate with a writer to come up with a story that can function on its own. But when artists take on concept albums and musicals, the outcome is really iffy, and few of them succeed as a concept. "Quadrophenia" is prob. the most successful concept album, which they've made into a play without the Who music. "Tommy" and "The Wall" already tackled on what fame can do to a person. Alice Cooper did something cool teaming up with Neil Gaiman on "Last Temptation" and came up with that graphic novel.

Crue's "Saints of Los Angeles" is a hit and miss concept album, but it was still pretty good.

I thought CD was kind of a concept album.

This.

It kind of is. amirite

What's the concept though?

Being fucked over by people you trust, overcoming struggles and emerging stronger in some way? Defeating those who either try to block your dreams/ambitions or who don't believe in them?

That seems to be the constant themes throughout the record anyway.

This.

It kind of is. amirite

Being fucked over by people you trust, overcoming struggles and emerging stronger in some way? Defeating those who either try to block your dreams/ambitions or who don't believe in them?

I get what you mean, the songs are mostly about getting shit after shit and being strong and loving through it all, especially IT'S and scraped. The dramatic intro and beautiful outro difinitley give the album a climatic feel too.

This.

It kind of is. amirite

but what's any of that got to do with Democracy in China?