Official TV Show discussion

SunnyDRE

Oz would've benefited from more turnover of characters. Most of the main ones become boring halfway through.

Miguel Alvarez and Adebisi benefited greatly from leaving early. I wish Miguel would've stayed gone. Poet too, as before his release he was a really cool surreal voice in the show and afterwards he was just another thug in Emerald City. I also wish the Beecher-Keller-Schillinger arc hadn't lasted till the end because frankly for the most part it was not a good story.

I think the writers tried to make it a point that nothing changes and nobody escapes, same as in the Wire, but in The Wire it was done with a lot more flair, while in Oz it came across to me as a bit blunt and amateurish. There was no feeling of finality, no arc (except for seasons 1 and 4.1 which are by some distance the best) and that almost invariably drags a tv drama down.

Still, considering it was HBO's first attempt at a one hour drama it was really good and it started an extremely impressive run.

I can see that the storyline is starting to drag. Such as Beecher-Keller-Shillinger. I am getting tired of it. But HBO has learned from the show's flaws. I think they were just competing with primetime shows at the time except they can throw in more violence, sex, nudity and issues that were too sensitive for the time.

I can see this going nowhere until season six, but I will keep watching until the end. At least in The Sopranos they stir things up. Whether it is Ralphie, Blundetto or New York City.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems that OZ had was the fact that it had these weird stories that cropped up which made absolutely no sense......and then went nowhere with them. The prime example was when the inmates were allowed to take part in an anti-aging drug experiment. Stupid, stupid storyline.

Guest bellastar2355

One of the problems that OZ had was the fact that it had these weird stories that cropped up which made absolutely no sense......and then went nowhere with them. The prime example was when the inmates were allowed to take part in an anti-aging drug experiment. Stupid, stupid storyline.

I totally agree with that! I hated that storyline

and I thought that death row photoshoot was pretty silly

There was just so much going on in the series is why it intrigued me, completely fit the prison type of environment. Some storylines were borderline lame but I think we can all agree that the series started to spiral down when

Adebisi got killed. He was my favorite character.

There was just so much going on in the series is why it intrigued me, completely fit the prison type of environment. Some storylines were borderline lame but I think we can all agree that the series started to spiral down when

"ADEBISI LIVES!!!!! *STAB-STAB-STAB*

Was a completely badass moment - one of the highlights of the whole show for me.

"ADEBISI LIVES!!!!! *STAB-STAB-STAB*

Was a completely badass moment - one of the highlights of the whole show for me.

Yeah, such an epic scene all around.

Man I miss the good ol shows HBO used to produce. They are good now but I don't think they are generally as good as Oz, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under were.

Guest bellastar2355

They messed up with O' Reliey though. He was such an interesting character.. but once he fell in love with the nurse, his character kinda sucked in my opinion

Edited by bellastar2355

They messed up with O' Reliey though. He was such an interesting character.. but once he fell in love with the nurse, his character kinda sucked in my opinion

O'Reily was a badass, but he was a sucker for a woman while serving a life sentence. Can't blame him though. He was probably my 2nd fav next to Schillenger

I'm not sure if this was discussed anywhere yet, but Guillermo Del Toro and HBO are apparently planning on creating a TV series based on the manga (Japanese comic books, essentially) Monster.

Link.

Now I know that Japanese manga/anime tend to have a pretty bad reputation among people that don't know much about them, but I think this could be pretty successful in the west given the source material. I'm just not sure about Del Toro's style fitting the series. But it really is a great story that doesn't suffer from any of the cliches generally associated with the medium. If this live-action adaptation can be as good as the anime adaptation, then I'm very excited.

I am fighting every urge not to click on spoiler tags. I am happy people like Said, I thought he wasn't going to be liked. Adebesi is something else though.

I almost puked when that disgusting CO who banged McManus and O'Riley took off her shirt. Did not need to see that.

Guest bellastar2355

I am fighting every urge not to click on spoiler tags. I am happy people like Said, I thought he wasn't going to be liked. Adebesi is something else though.

I almost puked when that disgusting CO who banged McManus and O'Riley took off her shirt. Did not need to see that.

Guest bellastar2355

What the fuck were these writers on? Its a fucking soap opera now.

What part are you at though? Cause there are still some really good moments after season 4.1