How do you rate DJ Ashba as a guitarist?

Towelie

I've seen a fair few live clips from the last tour and he seems pretty competent. He's definately more polished than Finck was. Do you think he's for keeps? Will DJ and BBF be the Finck/BH of the next album or do you think he's more of a hired hand for touring ala Gilby Clarke??

Edited by Towelie

He's good live, I love what he brings to live GNR.

But I can't rate him yet, he's just playing other peoples shit. I'll really judge him when he hits the studio and we see what he brings to the writing process. Don't really care for his solo stuff and I've yet to listen to Sixx:AM

Ballad of death is good though, nice solo spot to listen to while you're taking a piss, having a smoke or getting a beer.

You'd have to go off the Sixx:AM material as far as his work goes. I think if/when GNR work on new music, he's going to be helping Axl out immensely. I don't think Axl hired him just as a "gunslinger for hire". Part of his job is to handle other people's solos that came before him.

So far, Axl hasn't done the Diamond Dave move by going to GNR tribute bands and picking band members.

Don´t like him at all. Ballad of death is ok, but other than that, I don´t like him.

what is it that you don't like about him? just wondering :)

i really like him, he seems like an awesome performer and a great guitarist. first i was a little unsure about what he could bring to guns but now i think he can make some really good songs and solos in the future. his sixx am stuff is really great, i think everyone should give it a listen. he is really a quality guitarist and a great guy.

Guest siliconmessiah

Answer to Henfjel:

not very original.

And I also like the 2002-2004-5-6 lineup better than the last one.

Finck & Bucket were my favourites.

Edited by siliconmessiah

I've liked him since I saw Sixx: A.M.

His stage presence is insane, I think we can all agree on that.

I really like the Ballad Of Death, and I can't wait for the new Sixx: A.M. album. He's better than Robin in about every way - I've said this since it was first announced: He's the best guitar player for Guns N' Roses since Slash.

What songs are his best work in Sixx am?

Life is beautiful is their most famous song, and it's pretty good, but my favourites that he wrote are Pray for Me (rocker, up tempo) or Accidents can Happen, Girl with Golden Eyes (ballady kinda songs), or Intermission, which is almost an instumental- Nikki does some voiceover stuff :)

Life is beautiful is their most famous song, and it's pretty good, but my favourites that he wrote are Pray for Me (rocker, up tempo) or Accidents can Happen, Girl with Golden Eyes (ballady kinda songs), or Intermission, which is almost an instumental- Nikki does some voiceover stuff :)

lies of the beautiful people and oh my god from the new album 'this is gonna hurt' is pretty good too. there's a snippet from ballad of death in oh my god too i think. there was a thread about it somewhere

He has what the band needs. Excelent stage presence. The way he interacts with the crowd is great.

+1.

I love Ballad Of Death, I always enjoy hearing him play that solo and I love his work in Sixx:AM. I can't wait to hear what he and Axl can do together musically. DJ deserves a lot more credit than he gets.

Life Is Beautiful, Pray For Me, Tomorrow, Heart Failure, Intermission, Girl With Golden Eyes....honestly, I love that record top to bottom. And the new one sounds pretty awesome too. There's previews of the songs on YouTube and its sounding damn fine.

He's great and has a great stage presence, but he can't play Finck's rough/sharp (whatever you would call it) AT ALL. Is it the equipment, style, both or what? All I can say is that Chinese Democracy's intro and Better just don't sound right.

Agreed. But I think its safe to say that Chinese Democracy, and more-so Better are "Robin songs" so to say. Don't get me wrong, I loved Finck, just sometimes his style didn't fit the greatest. But what can be admired is that he took what already was and put his own little twist/style on it. DJ's on stage chemistry with Axl and the fans is far superior to Robin's though. no question about it.

Also if you're looking for some Ashba solo stuff, check out a band called Beautiful Creatures. Thats a band that should have gotten more exposure than they did, their first album was awesome in my eyes. "1 A.M." and "Wish" and "New Orleans" are probably my favorite tracks off that one.