DJ Ashba "Working on the new Guns record"

The Glow Inc.

Maybe DJ will write a few new song's or solo's for the new album, but they'll keep song's like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Thyme, Silkworm's on the album.

I really hope that's the case. I have no problem with DJ & Axl writing new songs, but it would be a shame to loose songs that have reached an almost mythical reputation among fans, like The General, Atlas, Soul Monster etc.

Also, I really hope DJ was hinting at a near-Christmas release on not just being a smart-ass. :xmasssanta:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ also said he's with GNR for the "long haul." So that's good news! :thumbsup:

(This was a public chat- so it's not like I'm telling secrets or anything.) (I asked questions and he answered them Simple as that.)

Just to be clear, I couldn't find any of these comments on DJ's twitter feed. Was this from his Twitter feed or from an Ashbaland chat room session?

Ali

dj_ashba_sm.jpg

Why does he insist on the top hat? I like him and his style but ur clearly copying slash after replacing him in his band. Lame.....there's countless other items he could wear.....why not go with a kfc bucket while your at it some nights

I KNEW this shit would happen. He wore the hat BEFORE getting in GNR! He's inspired by Mick Mars of Mötley Crüe who also wears a tophat a lot, so get over it already. Is he also copying Axl cause he wears a bandana? :rolleyes:

DJ's style is obviously very inspired by Mötley Crüe (Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars, Tommy Lee) you'd know that if you bothered paying attention to DJ and not just his hat.

Anyways, cool news :) It's great to know that there is being worked on GNR music. DJ always has a lot of things going on at once and as Sixx:AM is planing on touring (I don't now why Nikki don't wanna do it) I don't see it as weird that Ron or Richard hasn't mentioned anything cause they are touring etc and cause DJ isn't he has time to record and write atm.

I KNEW this shit would happen. He wore the hat BEFORE getting in GNR!

Is it not possible he was inspired by Slash BEFORE joining GNR?

I mean,

Top hat, cigarrette, Les Paul, AND a Seymour Duncan Humbucker endorsement (and Alnico II Pro no less), GNR guitarist.

What are people supposed to think? :shrugs:

Edited by moreblack

I reckon Axl can tell the difference between bland rock music and real stuff that he would want on a Guns' album, he wouldn't let any rubbish onto it, CD was pretty much all killer no filler, and one things for sure: every track was unique

Eh Riad and IRS are decent but they sound like filler to me

Some of you are just incredible. 2001-2007 Robin sucked because he wasn't enough like Slash in his style and playing. In 2009-2011 DJ sucks because he's too much like Slash in his style and playing.

Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing what DJ adds to these tracks.

I mean,

Top hat, cigarrette, Les Paul, AND a Seymour Duncan Humbucker endorsement (and Alnico II Pro no less), GNR guitarist.

Cigarette? Really?

I mean,

It's possible that Slash was an influence on him some way, much the same way that Joe Perry and others influenced Slash, yes. But, the point is, as someone who saw DJ in Beautiful Creatures and Sixx: AM before he joined GN'R, he had his look established before joining GN'R. Therefore, no one can rightfully say that it is a contrived look to appear like Slash now that he's in GN'R.

And just like Bucket, Finck, and Ron didn't change their looks once they joined the band, DJ shouldn't have to, either.

Ali

I mean,

It's possible that Slash was an influence on him some way, much the same way that Joe Perry and others influenced Slash, yes. But, the point is, as someone who saw DJ in Beautiful Creatures and Sixx: AM before he joined GN'R, he had his look established before joining GN'R. Therefore, no one can rightfully say that it is a contrived look to appear like Slash now that he's in GN'R.

And just like Bucket, Finck, and Ron didn't change their looks once they joined the band, DJ shouldn't have to, either.

Ali

I agree with you, but remember Robin in 06 went for the homeless look. Then when he got back with nin he was goth again. What was up with that?

Edited by batman007

I mean,

Ali

:thumbsup:

Of course he was influenced by Slash, everyone can tell. But is that wrong? Fuck no!!! 99% of the people on this forum who play guitar were influenced by Slash, because he used to play such great music in Guns. The good thing for Dj is that he developed his own style with some Slash topping. Listen to Dj's work on 'the lies of the beautiful people' it almost sounds like he creates Classical piano music with his Les Paul, very cool and very unique. Some of the haters just refuse to get a life, that's the problem.

I mean,

Ali

I agree with you, but remember Robin in 06 went for the homeless look. Then when he got back with nin he was goth again. What was up with that?

Yeah, but look at Robin circa 2001-2002. When he first started playing live with GN'R, his look was still more goth. He didn't change it, nor did Buckethead, when they started playing with GN'R live to fit in or to purposely not remind people of someone else.

Ali

Sorry, but it's true. You can no more accuse DJ of copying Slash than you can accuse Slash of copying Marc Bolan and Welcome to My Nightmare-era Alice Cooper.

Slash was not the first rocker to wear a top hat :shrugs:

Ali

No, but he was the first to make it iconic in rock and especially in GNR which Ashba is now in. It struck me as odd at first but then hey, whatever. He's gonna do what he's gonna do.

Uh, no, that is completely your opinion as a GN'R fan. Ask a T-Rex or Alice Cooper fan about that and it's entirely possible, if not likely, they'll have a different opinion.

Ali

T-Rex never had the massive popularity that GNR had. As for Alice Cooper, it never became his trademark (he'd still be wearing it now)

Sorry, but it's true. You can no more accuse DJ of copying Slash than you can accuse Slash of copying Marc Bolan and Welcome to My Nightmare-era Alice Cooper.

Slash was not the first rocker to wear a top hat :shrugs:

Ali

No, but he was the first to make it iconic in rock and especially in GNR which Ashba is now in. It struck me as odd at first but then hey, whatever. He's gonna do what he's gonna do.

Uh, no, that is completely your opinion as a GN'R fan. Ask a T-Rex or Alice Cooper fan about that and it's entirely possible, if not likely, they'll have a different opinion.

Ali

T-Rex never had the massive popularity that GNR had. As for Alice Cooper, it never became his trademark (he'd still be wearing it now)

The point is that your opinion is just that - your opinion. Even as a GN'R fan myself, I have always been aware of the fact that he never was the first to wear it and that my association of the top hat as being a signature Slash accessory was merely because GN'R was my first and always my favorite rock band.

And, I hate to break it to you, but Alice Cooper DOES still wear the top hat.

See this review from a 2010 show of his for more:

http://alicecooper.com/latest/news-item/weekender-review-scranton-show

Ali

Lets assume they are recording, we know Axl usually does the lyrics last so I imagine they are consulting the vault from the last sessions, axl is hacking away editing copying pasting etc and DJ is just shredding and recording. Do we know where the drummers are at or what they have going on? What kinds or music do u anticipate? Some rockers like schacklers and better followed by the ballads of Atlas shrugged etc.? Or will it be yet another seperate direction? That seems unlikely given the cast and their backgrounds.... Are there other working titles we know of?

It doesn't matter if DJ wore a top hat prior to the band, just put it away after joining gnr. All it does is feed the haters that think this band is a travelling cover band. I don't feel that way I was just commenting on the picture posted...end of that story.....

I think it does matter that DJ wore a top hat prior to joining the band. If he didn't wear the top hat because of GN'R, he shouldn't have to take it off because of GN'R - he should just be himself, no matter what. Anyone who thinks that he wore the top hat just because of GN'R and desire to mimic Slash is a completely misinformed "hater", and that's on them.

Ali

You think it matters, congratulations. My opinion was based on that specific pictureand u are putting waaay to much weight into it or have nothing better to stress about. Please post 14 more times about why it is ok. We are dying to hear it.....

I'm def not a hater, I like dj, and can't wait to see what he comes up with. Do you have anything to add to the topic or are you just filling it with uninformed nonsense?

Uninformed? I saw DJ twice before joining GN'R and expressed a differing opinion based in part off that and I'm uninformed? Or, are you one of those of the opinion that irrespective of how many other musicians have worn a top hat, Slash has the market cornered somehow on the right to wear top hats in rock? If taking into account all those factors in forming an opinion constitutes uninformed nonsense, then, yeah, I'll keep spouting that off.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Uninformed? I saw DJ twice before joining GN'R and expressed a differing opinion based in part off that and I'm uninformed? Or, are you one of those of the opinion that irrespective of how many other musicians have worn a top hat, Slash has the market cornered somehow on the right to wear top hats in rock? If taking into all those factors in forming an opinion constitutes uninformed nonsense, then, yeah, I'll keep spouting that off.

Ali

Post something about the actual topic. You spend too time arguing with others about things that don't matter.....

Uninformed? I saw DJ twice before joining GN'R and expressed a differing opinion based in part off that and I'm uninformed? Or, are you one of those of the opinion that irrespective of how many other musicians have worn a top hat, Slash has the market cornered somehow on the right to wear top hats in rock? If taking into all those factors in forming an opinion constitutes uninformed nonsense, then, yeah, I'll keep spouting that off.

Ali

Its not about Slash being the one able to wear a top hat. Its that he is very closely associated with it in GNR, which would make it very easy for a casual fan (who has never seen or heard DJ before) to say "lolololo he's copying Slash."

At the end of the day, the people who are bitching about his top hat are mostly the same people who do not accept the idea of a new band to begin with. It's not like he is turning his own fanbase away by wearing it...

So...Who cares...

The new band isn't new any more, it's like an ever evolving monster. it's pretty interesting this seems to happen with the big rock stars. nothing really to hold back their creativity.

I reckon Axl can tell the difference between bland rock music and real stuff that he would want on a Guns' album, he wouldn't let any rubbish onto it, CD was pretty much all killer no filler, and one things for sure: every track was unique

I found CD to be the exact opposite, pretty much all filler and no killer

I mean,

Ali

That was pretty weird, but it's glad he listened to the fans. Jesus Robin looked more in keeping with the vibe of the band. Fans are always right.