FACT: Chinese Democracy is a success

MANETS.FOREVER

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ridiculous compared to the album production post. The music of the album is paied and finished, that's what I meant.

And what about if the record company, having seen how much they put into CD 1, compared to how much they got back, reject the rest of the material?

That's ridiculous compared to the album production post. The music of the album is paied and finished, that's what I meant.

And what about if the record company, having seen how much they put into CD 1, compared to how much they got back, reject the rest of the material?

I dunno about that. It's still a new Guns N' Roses album, and while CD didn't sell millions in the U.S. as was expected, it (meaning the follow up album) would probably still sell extremely well compared to most rock album releases these days. I don't think the record company is in any position to say "Pass." when Axl comes to them with the finished next album.

Now, the current standstill may very well come from exactly what kind of release and support the record company is willing to give the next album. I'm sure, ideally, they'd give it a similar marketing treatment that CD got, which isn't much. We've seen how much that upset Axl, and while he could have done more himself to promote it, so could they. My guess is that's what's going to hold the release of the next album, if it is indeed held up. We really have no idea what Axl's up to right now.

but you're counting songs that aren't either done, or released yet, what if he decides to re-record them?

You're counting chickens that haven't hatched yet.

Exactly! If GN'R decides to release an album with the remaining songs, the album has a guarantee of profit, even it sells only half copy, because all the costs to it are paied.

Axl is genius B)

You're assuming those songs are finished and won't be worked on any further or have DJ or Frank or any other musicians re-record parts on to them. Axl may decide to re-record his vocals. There's a hundred variables there. Plus the label isn't going to be keen on ponying up more dough for work on a subsequent release or promoting said release when they spent millions and millions on CD and got burned. Best Buy, Wal Mart or another retailer isn't going to throw a bunch of money at an exclusive after Best Buy is left with millions of unsold units of what was supposed to be the biggest comeback album ever. Moreblack is right.

CD is what I would call a successful failure.

It sold a good number of copies by today record sales standards. Successful

Best Buy deal for the record company and band as far as money... Successful From Best Buys side it was a....... Failure

It did not sell like everyone thought it would and fell short of expectations. If anyone thought that CD would sell 15 million copies is completely stupid considering todays record sale climate... Failure

A$L RO$E!!!... who said he wasn't in it for the money???? lol

either way this doesn't make any sense at all

what you're saying is that CD 2 and CD 3 are ready to go and buy??? no they're not...

Guns N Roses had to pay the 14 millions regardless of how many songs they released... what they did is bring the balance to US$0 (maybe?), got rid of ChiDem and have about 22 demos... they're back to 1993

Edited by dario27

what you're saying is that CD 2 and CD 3 are ready to go and buy??? no they're not...

Guns N Roses had to pay the 14 millions regardless of how many songs they released... what they did is bring the balance to US$0 (maybe?), got rid of ChiDem and have about 22 demos... they're back to 1993

Axl Ro$e = Ok

A$L RO$E = FAIL

I don't think the record company is in any position to say "Pass." when Axl comes to them with the finished next album.

Of course they are. They're not going to promote a product they don't like.

and won't sell. Without a "single", no way a follow up sells even half of what CD did; and the alleged 5 million sold (not even a mill in the US) isn't exactly what I think the label would call a success.

They didn't give Axl 14 million to produce a CD, that wouldn't even go platinum in his home country. They didn't give him 14 million, with the idea that when everything was said in done, they would ONLY JUST MAKE THEIR INITIAL INVESTMENT BACK.

The hype and myths surrounding the album made it hard to be a success. The media was making it seem like Chinese Democracy would the musical equivalent to the second coming.

And when it was released with typos in the booklet and few "mind blowing" songs on the actual record, success was a word that was taken out of the equation

Edited by WhazUp

less then a million sold in the US...

none of the members in gn'r have Bieber or GaGa as their last name so it's obvious they wouldn't sell 8+million copies

more like none of its members were named slash, izzy, or duff. The only reason the album sold as well as it did was because of the huge GNR name made famous by the past lineup. Had this album sold under Axls name or under a new band name, it would've been a massive failure. Some would argue it still is.

The huge GNR name failed to sell The Spaghetti Incident? with the classic line-up.

1993 November: First Week respectively:

GNR - The Spaghetti Incident? = 190,000

PJ - Vs = 950,000

GNR classic line-up was failing since then.

Guest siliconmessiah

less then a million sold in the US...

none of the members in gn'r have Bieber or GaGa as their last name so it's obvious they wouldn't sell 8+million copies

more like none of its members were named slash, izzy, or duff. The only reason the album sold as well as it did was because of the huge GNR name made famous by the past lineup. Had this album sold under Axls name or under a new band name, it would've been a massive failure. Some would argue it still is.

The huge GNR name failed to sell The Spaghetti Incident? with the classic line-up.

1993 November: First Week respectively:

GNR - The Spaghetti Incident? = 190,000

PJ - Vs = 950,000

GNR classic line-up was failing since then.

AFD and the UYI-albums are state-of-the-art classics in the music world, and got airplay on MTV and radio.

The Spaghetti Incident wasn´t a commercial success at all.

awesome production on Spag Inc. I like it, I heard it in a bar in full a few years ago.

CD is the most important since Sgt. Peppers. If you listen you can hear The Beatles influence in the whole thing, but it's more an attitude than anything sonic.

The "Success" or failure of Chinese Democracy does not come down to the numbers.

Since you can't equate the fact that, A whole record label was burned because they invested in Axl and his new album in the nineties, which Axl promised and didn't deliver. It's actually, a horrible testament to the unpredictable nature of childish eighties style rockstars.

What can we learn from the failure of Axl Rose Band & Chinese Democracy? It's to never let someone like him lead you into believing that an album will come if you write a blank cheque and put him in a recording studio with free rein over management&producers. It'll just turn into a complete clusterfuck nightmare, no album and a burnt record label.

True story.

However, when the album did come out, there is no denying that it shifted an impressive amount of records, especially when you take into consideration zero promotion and very little media exposure.

Critically, it really is a meh album. And expectation wise, well, that one is fairly obvious: over a decade of built up expectation, what else can you do than fail. Impact wise, I'm sure the record label felt that it was hugely lacking but at that point, no one expected it to become a hit. Time moved on and the world was no longer waiting for Axl and his "masterpiece" ... :(

Axl Ro$e = Ok

A$L RO$E = FAIL

Everybody got all the money

Everybody got all the beautiful clothes

Everbody got all the flowers

I ain't got a single rose

I feel a change comin' on

And the best part of the day is already gone

Axl Ro$e = Ok

A$L RO$E = FAIL

The "Success" or failure of Chinese Democracy does not come down to the numbers.

Since you can't equate the fact that, A whole record label was burned because they invested in Axl and his new album in the nineties, which Axl promised and didn't deliver. It's actually, a horrible testament to the unpredictable nature of childish eighties style rockstars.

What can we learn from the failure of Axl Rose Band & Chinese Democracy? It's to never let someone like him lead you into believing that an album will come if you write a blank cheque and put him in a recording studio with free rein over management&producers. It'll just turn into a complete clusterfuck nightmare, no album and a burnt record label.

True story.

However, when the album did come out, there is no denying that it shifted an impressive amount of records, especially when you take into consideration zero promotion and very little media exposure.

Critically, it really is a meh album. And expectation wise, well, that one is fairly obvious: over a decade of built up expectation, what else can you do than fail. Impact wise, I'm sure the record label felt that it was hugely lacking but at that point, no one expected it to become a hit. Time moved on and the world was no longer waiting for Axl and his "masterpiece" ... :(

edit: since I obviously posted the most thought out piece in here, and since you guys only read the last page, I decided to repost. =^;^=

Success is measured by pre-existing circumstances and history - In that perspective GNR will never have success again.. !

Success is also measured by overcoming obstacles and staying true to yourself, no matter what forces try to corrupt you, be it cloaked by the love of fans or blackmailing pressure of a record company !

This album is a huge success, because the obstacles overcome has been severe ! It is a success because Axl managed to defy that powerful side of him which demands perfection and overthinks everything - He chose action over anxiety, which he has'nt been able to since the other guys left ! For this I applaude him !

A wise man once told me - Do not worry about the things you can't control !

Easier said than done when your that way in nature, I'm sure someone here can testify to that.

Imagine then, being Axl, dealing with that pressure, I'm amazed that he has'nt gone down with some psychich illness, he is definately very strong !

I think everybody here would benefit from applauding his accomplishment, and trying to remember a time where you were under alot of pressure, I can't even begin to fanthom how he has coped with it - Pressure don't exactly get smaller when you don't deliver, and 14 years of that, would get the best of most men !

Regardless of my personal feelings for Axl Rose, it is without a doubt an achievement, and for anyone denying that or trying to trifle it, I wish that you will face the same in time of great pressure, that might invoke some sort of understanding to what has been done here !

It is not just about Chinese Democracy, it is the epitomy of Guns N' Roses, of which we are all part, Guns N' Roses is overcoming obstacles thrown at us, fighting against it and standing together as a gang !

If the fans don't reflect it, how can the band ?

I see this album as a huge success, not on the basis of sales but on the basis of will !

I applaude you and I applaude it !