Rhiad......Scraped

Apollo

Riad and the Beduins is my favorite song on Chinese Democracy.

Scraped is the only song on the album I don't like. It's the intro that kills it for me, if I make it to the end, when it gets faster it's passable. The intro and Axl's voice, terrible choice for that (when he does the 'pessimistic' lyrics).

Its a little hard to say what I like about these tracks. After Chinese Democracy, Scraped was the song was the next song I heard playing on one of the music channels on satellite and back then I loved it and it was an influence on me to go to buy the album. However as time goes on Scraped just doesn't hold up like that original listen. I like it and the solos are good, but it feels like it was rushed and the introduction I just never cared for. Its still a good song, but its my least favorite after If The World. Riad has been the opposite effect, its gotten better overtime for me, the intro sounds (May they be stolen or not) are great, but what seals the deal is the great way it switches throughout the song and the great outro performed by Buckethead is a great solo from him. So I like Riad better than Scraped, honestly I would have taken Oh My God over Scraped if given the chance (The actual CD still has about 8 unused minutes that could have easily allowed it to sneak in anyway though). Also whats with the hate on I.R.S. I love it myself, seems more akin to old GNR more than anything else on CD.

I love Riad, its my favorite song. E guitar riffs, the chorus, Robin's lead following Axl on the chorus, the BBF solo and the ending with Bucket's killswitch - everything is awesome on this song, but Brain's drums in the begining are out of this world. Such a kick-ass track.

I love Scraped too, really love the solos and the heavy guitar+bass slide in the chorus (missing in the live version).

I like both but I REALLY want to hear Buckets solo on Rhiad. I think both Rhiad and Shacklers are on the top of my "wanna hear Bucket's version" list. Not that Ron ruined it or anything but I just wanna hear the original versions and see how good they were.

I assume you meant Scraped instead of Riad, because we do have a version of Riad with Robin and Bucket playing the main solo.

Really? I've never heard it!! Is it on youtube?

Didn't find on youtube anymore, but I'm sure you can ask for anyone here for a mp3. It was leaked in 2008 by that guy who got arrested along with If the World with Brain drums and Prostitute in that shitty mix.

Scraped is ok, but not very interesting. But I can't think of a single thing I like about Riad.

I loved the rest of the CD, though. Shackler's, Sorry, TIL, and ITW especially. Shackler's, in particular, sounded like modern metal with more tonal variation and a catchy chorus, and I'd love to see them explore that more.

These two songs in particular really do tend to split the fanbase most often.

I'm actually very fond of Rhiad - great fast pace, ferocious guitar work, awesome vocals and interesting lyrics. Those orchestral stabs during the main solo are neat too. And I concur with a post above that mentioned the "neon" color to this song - For some reason, whenever I think of this track, I think of green/neon colors.

Scraped has pieces that really hit that sweet spot for me, but as a whole, the song doesn't really work for me. It feels a little disjointed. Still, some parts are amazing, particularly the "sometimes I feel like there's nothing that's stopping me" bit.

I liked Rhiad when I first heard the live version and I was looking forward to the studio one,

until I heard it. I the studio version sounds older like its from 1999 or so. Of all the songs

Ax lhad re-recorded he should have done Rhiad again, It would have been better.