McKagan: a downward spiral after the "Illusion"

auad

I love Classic Crüe, but Vince should've died instead of Razzle in that car crash.

John Corabi was a better singer anyway, even for classic songs.

Personally I don't wish death on anyone. Comments like this are really unfortunate.
I think the fact that Vince only served a few days in jail and that the Crüe named their boxed set "Music to Crash your car to" is what you would call unfortunate and a great occurence of bad taste considering Razzle's death.

Stop playing internet white knight without sufficient knowledge.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 3

I just read Last Living Slut today. I am seeing Matt Sorum in a whole new light. If I ever run into him, I'm giving him a standing ovation.

Just read this, cheers for linking etc. was interesting reading about rock stars from a different perspective.

Out of the GN'R autobiographies, I'd agree Duff's seems like the best, also to me it felt the most honest.

Slash's and Adler's books were both interesting too (hearing the story's from different people'so viewpoints is intruiging Shame about the controversy surrounding Adler's book. Also got Reckless Road (very insightful)!

I have read unofficial biographies on the band too, The Band That Time Forgot by Paul Stenning and the Slash book he wrote too!

I have an AC/DC book to read next and Johnny Cash's Autobiography too. Would also like to read Steven Tyler's autobiography.

What strikes me in the books of both Slash and Duff--- well, they were barely sober, and they remember so much details...

Its kind of odd some of the finer details they "remember," but for the most part it seems there's a lot about how the band got started and got going, then there's not a whole lot of stuff from Illusion tour era. Most of the stuff about that era are things that people can read in the press.

I thought it was funny how some incidents they remember and interpret completely differently. Like the Stones show where Axl calls out the band- Duff saw that as a betrayal (even though it wasn't really about him) and the beginning of the end, the nail in the coffin for the old lineup. Meanwhile Slash, says he understands why Axl said what he did and you almost get the impression that he thought it helped motivate the band to get their shit together and turn things around (if only for a little while). There's also some discrepancy about how and when Slash and Steven joined the band.

Yes there is discrepancy, But both makes it clear that other members may remember things differently. During the UYI Tour that was the time when they were really in bad shape. So I´m not surprised they mostly talk about the riots, Axl being late, how much they hated that situation and that they lost a lot of money because all went to pay extra hours or damages

I got the feeling that Duff really didn't remember a whole lot. or he kept quiet.

Likewise, I had the feeling that Slash held back a bit as it concerns Axl- as if he was wanted to leave the door cracked open in case Axl were to ever change his mind regarding a reunion.

The only thing Duff has done that is tolerable since leaving Axl's band, Beautiful Disease, was never officially released

You are entitled to your opinion. I am a fan. I like his stuff.

On a different note, I have Watch You Bleed and Reckless Road. I enjoyed both. Not particularly enlightening if you have followed the band, but entertaining. I have also read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. It wasn't bad but felt very disjointed. Considering it was literally his thoughts during addiction, this fits. I tried to read Vince Neil's book. I couldn't get through it. A few chapters in, I was so sick of the name-dropping, hearing about his expensive cars, hearing how great he feels he is....I just had to put it down. I kind of want the $3.97 back that I paid for it in the bargain bin. I just started "Love, Janis" by Janis Joplin's sister. I got this, as well as "Scars of Sweet Paradise", another Joplin book, for Christmas. I would like to say I would like to read a book by Sebastian Bach but...as much as I love his vocal ability, I'm afraid I would be annoyed by a book he wrote. I think I would like to read the story of Skids, but I think his penchant for name-dropping and his 12-year-old mentality would grate on my nerves.

I'm definitely seeing what you mean with the Adler book- talking about finer details of his sexual exploits, name-dropping, blame-deflecting, etc. I suppose you could say its revealing in that sense- you definitely get a feel for how immature, irresponsible, and selfish he is. I almost feel like I'm being a bit harsh, just because he seems like such a kid...like he doesn't know any better.

I can't remember how it was addressed in Slash's book, but I always found it interesting that in Duff's book when he tells the story of signing over GNR's name rights, he doesn't give any detail on who presented it to him. If I recall he just says "an executive" or something vague like that....because if he were to specifically mention someone by name and it turned out to be true he could face a lawsuit. Just interesting.

I liked Duff's book. Regarding his memory, I do find he has more details and memories of the early days and then starts to gloss over things a bit more - so the period of time he would have been really out of it doesn't have the detail of the early days. He comes off as honest and just a really likeable guy who just wanted everyone to get along and make music together.

I love Classic Crüe, but Vince should've died instead of Razzle in that car crash.

Personally I don't wish death on anyone. Comments like this are really unfortunate.
I think the fact that Vince only served a few days in jail and that the Crüe named their boxed set "Music to Crash your car to" is what you would call unfortunate and a great occurence of bad taste considering Razzle's death.

Was going to say all of that, but you already did. On top of that stuff, Vince sat there on the Behind The Music with that stupid "proud of myself" face and dropped that "I was the OJ of the 80s!" line. Shut up Vince.

Guest cbgnr666

Its usually alot of the same story when you read or hear from people who were down and out and Axl was the one that was there for them.Sometimes the only one when the chips were down and they needed a friend or a helping hand.

Edited by cbgnr666

Was going to say all of that, but you already did. On top of that stuff, Vince sat there on the Behind The Music with that stupid "proud of myself" face and dropped that "I was the OJ of the 80s!" line. Shut up Vince.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xngc2p_lifestyles-of-the-rich-famous-w-vince-neil_shortfilms

I just read Last Living Slut today. I am seeing Matt Sorum in a whole new light. If I ever run into him, I'm giving him a standing ovation.

Just read this, cheers for linking etc. was interesting reading about rock stars from a different perspective.

Out of the GN'R autobiographies, I'd agree Duff's seems like the best, also to me it felt the most honest.

Slash's and Adler's books were both interesting too (hearing the story's from different people'so viewpoints is intruiging Shame about the controversy surrounding Adler's book. Also got Reckless Road (very insightful)!

I have read unofficial biographies on the band too, The Band That Time Forgot by Paul Stenning and the Slash book he wrote too!

I have an AC/DC book to read next and Johnny Cash's Autobiography too. Would also like to read Steven Tyler's autobiography.

That's funny- just the other day I got Adler's, Steven Tyler's, Ace Frehley's, and Ac/Dc's biographies. I've just finished the Adler book and started on the Frehley bio.

Internet white knight? cause I don't go around saying this or that guy should have died, because somebody else was a better singer? That's an odd take on nobility.