McKagan: a downward spiral after the "Illusion"

auad

Great book. One of the best autobiographies I've read. And I like that it isn't all about drugs and debauchery, like most rock-bios are. I feeli like I don't need hope for anything, cause my life is pretty good, but the book has that feeling. That hopefull, everything's gonna be alright at the end -feeling. It oozes somekind of wisdom.

• Like 1

basically duff and slash were too bombed to really make the the next GNR album. not for real anyway. baby u got

I think Duff was sober by the point they started trying to work on it. Duff seemed to side more with Axl in a creative sense during those sessions. He said that Slash's southern rock songs didn't seem like the right thing to do. Slash seemed almost disappointed that he had 1 less party buddy.

Thanks everyone!!!! I really need to get his book. I read Slash's and did enjoy it. But he did point the finger at Axl too much imo. I figured Duff would be more "politically correct". The fact that both Izzy and Duff are on good terms with Axl does give Axl side more strength. I don't completly blame anyone for the break up of gnr. It was clearly all of their faults, but Slash might of been a lot more responsible for it than he likes to admit. Especially if both Axl and Duff didn't like his songs, it probably really pissed him off. Thats probably the main reason why he quit, not Axl's contract.

I thought that Duff's book was very poorly written. There was no structure to it, and most paragraphs seemed either too long or too short. I still enjoyed it very much, but mostly because (like all of us) im a big GNR fan. In comparison, even though it was ghost written, i found Slash book to very entertaining for the reverse reasons to Duff's. Still, i didn't find any of them very revealing, to be honest.

What does Duff say about leaving gnr and CD in his book? I need to get it. But I'm just curious what his "feelings" towards the whole thing are now.

About CD nothing but he said he likes the new band. He says he is ok with Tommy playing bass because he was a big Replacements fan. But keep in mind he wrote the book just after his reconciliation with Axl. He was in good terms with Axl at the time. After the HOF thing I´m not so sure

About leaving the band. There was more than one reason. Slash was no longer there, nothing was going on with the album or the band. Also his wife was pregnant so he had other priorities other than music. He was not the same guy he was back in the 80s. He was sober, he was in college and he was mostly living and Seatle. He had many things going on in his life at the time. So one day he asked Axl to have dinner with him. There he told Axl he was gone. They shook hands and that was it. They never saw each other again until London 2010

I doubt Axl cared who attended. Duff's been in 20-something bands and GNR is a part of the story, but not the whole story.

I thought Duff was done with GNR once Matt was kicked out and wanted to relocate his family to Seattle. Now the way things are, he might not have left the band because most of them are spread throughout the country.

There is a print version. There was, anyway. I remember hearing about this book quite a while ago so I don't know if it was ever picked up for re-print or not. I wouldn't spend more than bargain aisle prices for it. It was...interesting. I can sum it up for you if you want the cliff notes version?

Yeah, wow. Matt Sorum. Tracii and his "son." That was all pretty, uh....explicit?

• Like 1

Damn! Didn't GNR know that after the fiasco at the Stones concert in the 60's with the Hell's Angels, you never hire those fuckers to do security.

Duff is lucky to be alive after what he went through with his drinking. I'm glad now he's found happiness with his now wife and 2 girls.

The story of the original members of GNR is something for the history books. I'm just glad they are all still here to talk about it.

There is a print version. There was, anyway. I remember hearing about this book quite a while ago so I don't know if it was ever picked up for re-print or not. I wouldn't spend more than bargain aisle prices for it. It was...interesting. I can sum it up for you if you want the cliff notes version?

Yeah, wow. Matt Sorum. Tracii and his "son." That was all pretty, uh....explicit?
Seriously. And Synyster Gates? Just....wow. But I have to say, I didn't expect Matt to be such an Energizer Bunny. Good on him! ;)
  • Like 1

Seriously. And Synyster Gates? Just....wow. But I have to say, I didn't expect Matt to be such an Energizer Bunny. Good on him! ;)

Yeah, I thought it was hilarious how she said he started doing one arm push ups.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

Axl seemed to really care about his band mates. He was the only one to call duff an he stayed by Stevens bed whilst he was in the coma, until he woke up.

I have read all 3 books, Stevens is the worst, although a good read, he just bashes axl and slash for his downfall and never really takes responsibility. Always making excuses up, like when recording civil war, he was I'll not drunk. Then when he's touring with gilby, gilby starts having a go at him for playing shit, he just blames it on the speakers.

He just seems like a cry baby.

Also I wonder why he doesn't mention meeting axl in 2006, he skips over that part. Anyone know why?

Axl seemed to really care about his band mates. He was the only one to call duff an he stayed by Stevens bed whilst he was in the coma, until he woke up.

I have read all 3 books, Stevens is the worst, although a good read, he just bashes axl and slash for his downfall and never really takes responsibility. Always making excuses up, like when recording civil war, he was I'll not drunk. Then when he's touring with gilby, gilby starts having a go at him for playing shit, he just blames it on the speakers.

Also I wonder why he doesn't mention meeting axl in 2006, he skips over that part. Anyone know why?

I just started reading Steven's book today and so far he comes across as a selfish junkie that to this day,refuses to take responsibility for his actions. I heard him say that he doesn't point fingers or say anything negative, but that's all he seems to do. I've read all the other bios too- Slash, Duff, WAR, Watch You Bleed, and a few other GNR related books. Out of all of them, I found Duff's probably the most honest, but Slash's the most entertaining.

I also got Ace Frehley's "No Regrets" bio today. I imagine it should make for a good read as well

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

basically duff and slash were too bombed to really make the the next GNR album. not for real anyway. baby u got

I think Duff was sober by the point they started trying to work on it. Duff seemed to side more with Axl in a creative sense during those sessions. He said that Slash's southern rock songs didn't seem like the right thing to do. Slash seemed almost disappointed that he had 1 less party buddy.
either way they didnt seem in great shape physically or mentally to really do anything more than Slashs songs. Shame slash wouldnt work on TIL or Catcher by the end of 90s they could have had a half way decent album. Izzys songs they coukd have used too.

I just started reading Steven's book today and so far he comes across as a selfish junkie that to this day,refuses to take responsibility for his actions. I heard him say that he doesn't point fingers or say anything negative, but that's all he seems to do. I've read all the other bios too- Slash, Duff, WAR, Watch You Bleed, and a few other GNR related books. Out of all of them, I found Duff's probably the most honest, but Slash's the most entertaining.

I also got Ace Frehley's "No Regrets" bio today. I imagine it should make for a good read as well

Ace's book is a pretty disappointing/light read, Peter Criss' book is excellent though.

What strikes me in the books of both Slash and Duff--- well, they were barely sober, and they remember so much details...

Its kind of odd some of the finer details they "remember," but for the most part it seems there's a lot about how the band got started and got going, then there's not a whole lot of stuff from Illusion tour era. Most of the stuff about that era are things that people can read in the press.

I thought it was funny how some incidents they remember and interpret completely differently. Like the Stones show where Axl calls out the band- Duff saw that as a betrayal (even though it wasn't really about him) and the beginning of the end, the nail in the coffin for the old lineup. Meanwhile Slash, says he understands why Axl said what he did and you almost get the impression that he thought it helped motivate the band to get their shit together and turn things around (if only for a little while). There's also some discrepancy about how and when Slash and Steven joined the band.

Edited by Mr. Dude

The only thing Duff has done that is tolerable since leaving Axl's band, Beautiful Disease, was never officially released

You are entitled to your opinion. I am a fan. I like his stuff.

On a different note, I have Watch You Bleed and Reckless Road. I enjoyed both. Not particularly enlightening if you have followed the band, but entertaining. I have also read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. It wasn't bad but felt very disjointed. Considering it was literally his thoughts during addiction, this fits. I tried to read Vince Neil's book. I couldn't get through it. A few chapters in, I was so sick of the name-dropping, hearing about his expensive cars, hearing how great he feels he is....I just had to put it down. I kind of want the $3.97 back that I paid for it in the bargain bin. I just started "Love, Janis" by Janis Joplin's sister. I got this, as well as "Scars of Sweet Paradise", another Joplin book, for Christmas. I would like to say I would like to read a book by Sebastian Bach but...as much as I love his vocal ability, I'm afraid I would be annoyed by a book he wrote. I think I would like to read the story of Skids, but I think his penchant for name-dropping and his 12-year-old mentality would grate on my nerves.

• Like 1

The only thing Duff has done that is tolerable since leaving Axl's band, Beautiful Disease, was never officially released

You are entitled to your opinion. I am a fan. I like his stuff.

On a different note, I have Watch You Bleed and Reckless Road. I enjoyed both. Not particularly enlightening if you have followed the band, but entertaining. I have also read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. It wasn't bad but felt very disjointed. Considering it was literally his thoughts during addiction, this fits. I tried to read Vince Neil's book. I couldn't get through it. A few chapters in, I was so sick of the name-dropping, hearing about his expensive cars, hearing how great he feels he is....I just had to put it down. I kind of want the $3.97 back that I paid for it in the bargain bin. I just started "Love, Janis" by Janis Joplin's sister. I got this, as well as "Scars of Sweet Paradise", another Joplin book, for Christmas. I would like to say I would like to read a book by Sebastian Bach but...as much as I love his vocal ability, I'm afraid I would be annoyed by a book he wrote. I think I would like to read the story of Skids, but I think his penchant for name-dropping and his 12-year-old mentality would grate on my nerves.

I don't think Vince should have ever gotten into tequila and winemaking.

I don't think Sebastian has anything to hide and is going to do a warts and all book, I'm sure Axl's not thrilled about some of the things that he's going to bring up, but I doubt it'll be anything embarrassing. Why would he trash talk someone who hooked him up with a bunch of support gigs and spent time working on his album? ChiDem hadn't been out yet and it was the first time he sang on someone else's album in ages.