Lou Reed & Metallica: The View

droezle

The two styles just don't mesh, in my opinion.

It's not for everyone...or most perhaps.

But I'm sure they knew that going in.Kudos for forging ahead anyway.

I find the blend somewhat compelling myself.

New territory.Art for art's sake and all that.

Shake things up for the hell of it. :shrugs:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god.

How can they think this sounded good? Lou Reed is probably a worst singer than Bob Dylan. I mean, this stuff is just fucking dreadful.

This is shaping up to be one of the worst albums of the last decade, if not century. I really don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that.

Edited by Black Sabbath

Oh my god.

How can they think this sounded good? Lou Reed is probably a worst singer than Bob Dylan. I mean, this stuff is just fucking dreadful.

This is shaping up to be one of the worst albums of the last decade, if not century. I really don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that.

I heard two things on there that sounded okay, but the rest of it just sounds completely off. It's like Metallica wanted to stay Metallica, Lou wanted to stay Lou, and just didn't mix well. The way they should've done it is have half of it be Metallica songs with Lou doing some spoken word stuff and throwing a guitar solo or two in there, and on the second half, let Lou take over and have it more Metal Machine meets New York. Metallica should've delivered the wall of guitar noise with Lou, Kirk, and James playing off each other, and not let Lars do much except timekeep or minimize the type of drumming he does.

I just think Lou doing his thing, then Hetfield coming in to do his thing didn't work.

We get to hear them experiment, but it's going to be something hardcore fans of either are going to buy, so it'll sell well just because Metallica guarantees sales figures.

People don't listen to Lou because he's got a golden voice. The Velvet Underground stuff was pretty melodic, but then they'd throw this really twisted stuff in back in 66-67 in like "Venus in Furs", "Heroin" or "The Gift". The third album they did to me is the best out of their catalog if you're talking about being able to write killer ballads and melodies. "White Light White Heat" is very guitar heavy and meant to be played loud. "Sister Ray" is pre punk rock, and just meant to be an assault on your hearing, at least if you were in a small club hearing them play it. Then Iggy Pop changed the Stooges from being a garage band into a confrontational band.. but they mixed The Doors with VU and a little bit of MC5.

But it all goes back to Dylan going electric at Newport and doing Maggies Farm behind shades, polka dot shirt, and crazy ass hair that looks like he didn't sleep in a year.. Lou Reed was a college student who studied poetry, but he was also a rock musician as a trade.. played on those discount bin recordings in the mid 60s,as Elton would do a few years later, and Paul Simon had done pre-Simon and Garfunkel. Paul and Lou came from similar backgrounds, but the music was worlds apart.

Tom Wilson is the common thread between Dylan, Velvet Underground, and Simon & Garfunkel who "electrified' "Sounds of Silence".

In the 70s and 80s, Reed had a bunch of hit and miss stuff, but there's no doubt "Rock and Roll Animal" was a shared favorite of James and Lars. VU was seen as a novelty band that was seen as a bunch of Warhol proteges, that played background music to his all night raves. After Andy cut ties with the band, they pretty much made Boston their homebase for a couple of years and built a following there. Then went back to NY and broke up... well, Lou quit and the rest of them carried on for a little while.

It's what he writes about and how he delivers it. He def. was influenced by Dylan, but also did a bunch of doo wop and novelty stuff since he was 14 or something like that.

A lot of people who have met Reed said he's a cool guy you can have a conversation about anything with, or a major dick who will tell you to fuck off & call you a piece of shit. Or choke you (I'm not kidding). He's as volatile as Axl even at his old age, but the martial arts seems to keep him in check. I mean, if you saw either one eating lunch outdoors, you know it's a proceed with caution situation.

"Loutallica" Tweeted this link of 30 sec samples

I'm used to spoken word/band collaborations from the punk/hardcore scene back in the day when experimentation was considered a positive,healthy avenue to explore.

When testing and expanding your boundaries was encouraged.

I'm interested by what I've heard so far.

I think this might work really well as a live presentation.

If I get a chance I'd really like to check one the shows out,if they do any.

"Loutallica" Tweeted this link of 30 sec samples

I'm used to spoken word/band collaborations from the punk/hardcore scene back in the day when experimentation was considered a positive,healthy avenue to explore.

When testing and expanding your boundaries was encouraged.

I'm interested by what I've heard so far.

I think this might work really well as a live presentation.

If I get a chance I'd really like to check one the shows out,if they do any.

completely serious here, check out the new William Shatner album.

The Velvet Underground stuff is undoubtedly genius. However I don't really think it's Lou himself that people are laughing at. It's the fact that Metallica have made a shite job of orchestrating the music to Reeds words and also the fact that Hetfield is shouting hilariously ridiculous things throughout. Whilst it's cool that Reed has obviously taken a big risk by working with a band who are so different stylistically and sonically from his own work, the songs just don't work.

The Velvet Underground stuff is undoubtedly genius. However I don't really think it's Lou himself that people are laughing at. It's the fact that Metallica have made a shite job of orchestrating the music to Reeds words and also the fact that Hetfield is shouting hilariously ridiculous things throughout. Whilst it's cool that Reed has obviously taken a big risk by working with a band who are so different stylistically and sonically from his own work, the songs just don't work.

I think Kirk Hammett guesting on a Lou Reed album should've been as far as it went. He did fine playing at the Rock Hall concert.

But I feel like I'm listening to Justice outtakes and someone's playing Lou Reed talking at the same time.

I can understand Lou as a guitarist wanting to join in with Metallica, but to set songs he had planned for another project and make them his backing band... I would've gone with Kirk Hammett and Thurston Moore playing off each other and Lou keeping it in a direction. Metallica is the only band that the lead guitarist isn't the strongest personality. I love free form shit, but Metallica wanted to stick with their sound for most of it. Thankfully the whole thing isn't like that.

Watched a doc about the VU, and Lou is a guitar geek who's taken his guitars apart and messed with effects.

At least it's constructive criticism. No one's bashing it without reason.

Curious to see what Rolling Stone gives it. Wenner reviews Yoko and gives her a 5 star.