Did Guns pull it off at Rio?

ssiscool

Did Guns pull it off at Rio?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Null vote. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't particularly great either. Certainly not the "comeback" some people expected.

Exactly. It was just a regular concert. Shit, nothing too bad about it other than not pleasing expectations of being 'the comeback'....

Null vote. It wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't particularly great either. Certainly not the "comeback" some people expected.

Exactly. It was just a regular concert. Shit, nothing too bad about it other than not pleasing expectations of being 'the comeback'....

It was appalling, what was the "not bad by any means" part of it?

I've seen GNR do bad shows in the past, but nothing like this. I've seen other bands put in shit performances but nothing like this. Axl was struggling to stay in key, hit his vocal cues, he has forgotten how to breath when singing, and put zero effort in. Which i think is what has made it even worse, and harder on ppl.

TBH I don't understand how Axl can sit back and think he did a good job, he was butchering his own songs. (suppose he has every right to do wtf he wants to them, but have some self respect and respect for the geeky fans.....fact that the hardcore Axilites are agreeing it wass crap says something)

This is comparable to Robert Plant singing in '85 with Led Zeppelin. Plant and Page were embarrassed by it that they refused to let Live Aid release it on DVD. Proceeds from No Quarter DVD went to Live Aid. I wouldn't say he didn't care, he looked frustrated, but if he ever watches it, he'd cringe.

And anyone who went to Live Aid had said they loved seeing Zeppelin there. I already know the difference between seeing a live show and when I hear it on You Tube or see it on TV, it's never as good as what I saw and heard in person.

Zep was the worse of the two because they only had to do 3 songs. GNR still put on a full concert.

Maybe this is how Axl gets when he's been working in the studio.

• 2 weeks later...

In a word: no.

Right before Jungle when Axl said something like "I'm going to try and focus on singing instead of being an idiot, but I'm better at being an idiot," it seemed like he was in a great mood, which he probably was at the start. His singing was arguably the worst it's been for the first time since 2002, but had his good spirits and stage performance remained consistent, I, and I'm sure others, would have been a lot more forgiving of his voice as long as it was clear he was still giving it his all.

The point where I got turned off was when he started acting like a cry baby, with the obvious example being November Rain. So what you screwed up some lyrics? Every musician has messed up at some point (hell, Axl himself has messed up lyrics many times before) but you either laugh it off or just keep going. You don't sit there with a depressed stare and stop. Sure, it's a piss off and maybe he was angry because he had really wanted the performance to go off smoothly. He has nobody to blame but himself for not preparing his voice, but messing up one lyric isn't the end of the world. A lot of people were saying he forgot/messed up the end/outro of November Rain, but I saw it as him purposely half-assing it and messing it up on purpose just because he was pissed.

With so many people in attendance and watching online, it was sad to see him basically shut down.

In retrospect, all the RIR's seem to have had problems relating to Axl. In 1991, Axl pretty much lost his voice the first night, but the rawness of the show plus it being the first with Matt and Dizzy makes it special. In 2001, it was the first major performance of the new line-up and even though Axl didn't sound great, he was still energetic. Now we have 2011 - instead of carrying on like he did those previous years, Axl just got pissed off and stopped. THAT is why I don't feel that the band pulled it off, Axl anyway. The band itself DID play great, Ron especially.

• 1 month later...

It doesn't matter what we think. We weren't there. If you watched it online - that means you were likely sober, acute, and paying attention in the comfort of your air-conditioned home.

You weren't having your ears bleed out with distortion. Or feeling a little high from the questionable hash. Or a bit sloshed from the shots you took with the pretty girl you want to take home. If you were there, I'm sure the guitars, and booze would've drowned out any off-key Axl moments. In the end, it's rock n' roll. A bit sloppy, maybe a little gay with the pasty axeman donning the Hot Topic fedora. But rock n' roll nonetheless.