The New Stage Props - Inflatable Mao head/Hand and red hand on screen

Guest Gunns

Yes, the roller coaster cover is awesome. So is the cover with all of the red people coming out of the hand.

Unfortunately when the album came out (about 8 years after it should have) it came out with a shitty picture of a bicycle leaning against a wall in what has to be one of the lamest covers i can remember. Of course it was followed up with shitty promotion, no interviews, no videos, etc.

You don't just get to reboot this stuff. A "re-release"? For real? Axl has made about a million terrible decisions and this would be another terrible one.

Oh yeah, the general public would really respond to a "re-release" of an album that is considered to be one of the greatest disappointments in music history and the Waterworld of the music industry.

Personally I love the album and think it is phenomenal, but Axl screwed up. People don't just get amnesia and give you chances to just completely undo what you did and get a re-do.

The promotion for the album was horrible. The artwork was horrible. There were no videos. No supporting tour.

Sorry, but these were conscious decisions by Axl and his "re-release" would just further make Chinese Democracy into a public joke.

The best thing Axl could do is create a new fucking album of really good music.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

How would you feel if the head inflatable was of Hitler?

If you think that would be cool, you're sick.

Mao Tse Tung was a much larger monster than Hitler ever was. He made Hitler look like Mickey Mouse. I won't go into details, but if you have a brain and any sense of History or the ability to look it up, you'll understand.

It disturbs me to know GNR (let's face it... Axl), is using Mao as some sort of promotion or selling point. I understand it might be all in some sort of political statement, but we have ass holes here saying 'I'm going to buy a Mao head and hand balloon at the next show' thinking it's just cool to do because Axl and GNR are promoting it in some way or another. Next thing you know, you have people wearing t-shirts promoting a guy who was the biggest murderer and general self consumed ass hole of all time, ahead of the likes of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin, as if it's some kind of 'cool' thing to do, without knowing who in the hell that person really was!!!

It's disgusting, and I just surrendered my GNR ticket to Camden for it.

Fuck this. It's one thing to make a statement about some goofy government and it's founding leader that's since long been dead, but this is borderline insanity. This is a tour that's ridden on the premise of this for 10 years now. Arguably 12 years, or more.

Now, we have fuckheads on this forum and elsewhere wanting to spend their hard earned mommy allowance on Mao shit, because they think it's 'cool'.

I'm surprised Bumble even wants to be around this crap, considering what Hitler meant to his people.

Making a statement about a dictatorship and genocide is one thing on one tour, but to keep glorifying it with huge inflatables like this, that give idiots that know nothing about history something to be proud of, is just disgusting.

RIP, GNR. Give it up, Axl.

Question:

Mao Tse Tung was a much larger monster than Hitler ever was. He made Hitler look like Mickey Mouse. I won't go into details, but if you have a brain and any sense of History or the ability to look it up, you'll understand.

It disturbs me to know GNR (let's face it... Axl), is using Mao as some sort of promotion or selling point. I understand it might be all in some sort of political statement, but we have ass holes here saying 'I'm going to buy a Mao head and hand balloon at the next show' thinking it's just cool to do because Axl and GNR are promoting it in some way or another. Next thing you know, you have people wearing t-shirts promoting a guy who was the biggest murderer and general self consumed ass hole of all time, ahead of the likes of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin, as if it's some kind of 'cool' thing to do, without knowing who in the hell that person really was!!!

Fuck this. It's one thing to make a statement about some goofy government and it's founding leader that's since long been dead, but this is borderline insanity. This is a tour that's ridden on the premise of this for 10 years now. Arguably 12 years, or more.

Now, we have fuckheads on this forum and elsewhere wanting to spend their hard earned mommy allowance on Mao shit, because they think it's 'cool'.

I'm surprised Bumble even wants to be around this crap, considering what Hitler meant to his people.

Making a statement about a dictatorship and genocide is one thing on one tour, but to keep glorifying it with huge inflatables like this, that give idiots that know nothing about history something to be proud of, is just disgusting.

i consider this art

for example u have this

10217_bigpic-bg.jpg

would u say the same about that artwork? (consider the gnr show as the rollercoaster like BS said earlier)

well, for me it applies the same as a GnR show, they used that painting to get some inspiration for the image of the show, now if some idiot kid/guy dont know nothing about history, thats their problem, not axl...

whats next? complaining about the drugs reference in some songs? or the inflatable of the appetite creature that raped a woman in the art?

thats what i think

off to bed now :sleeper:

Edited by AGS

Question:

You never watched, listened to, or seen "The Wall" performed, have you?

Or any other Roger Waters work?

Art is shocking sometimes.

If this thread is now a history lesson, then allow me to say it would appear Mao is #1 as far as being the most ruthless fearsome ruler ever: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

I'm not offended by it whatsoever. I think it's a multi-dimensional multi-meaning type thing.

On another note, I'm gonna throw a dolphin in mao's hands, mebbe film it and upload to youtube. ; )

Do you guys think the hand is supposed to symbolize the masturbation that Axl talks about on Chinese Democracy?

Isnt that the "iron fist" lol

seriously if you want to know why axl included the mao/chinese art read his open letter, think it was called fear and freedom.

Also the themepark idea was cool, mickey mao anyone?

Question:

interesting take.

This reminds me of the case when a kid killed himself to an Ozzy Osbourne song (the song was Suicide Solution)

To make a long story shot - it is NOT Ozzy's fault the kid was an idiot and took his own life and his parents wanted to blame Ozzy because they didn't want to take responsibility for their own shitty parenting

It is not Axl's fault if someone buys a shirt with the dude on it because they think it looks cool. And even if they do - who cares? Its not like they are going "Yeah dude Mao was a cool guy and did cool things" - they just see it as sort of a GNR-related logo. The inflatables are there because it is related to the album title "Chinese Democracy" and is part of the concept of that.

Giving up a ticket over this is just silly. If someone misinterprets the intention of the aforementioned things - well that is their problem. It has no bearing on the point Axl wants to get across

I am sorry, but I find it extremely offensive that you call people who killed themselves idiots without knowing the story. And also that you assume that it was a case of bad parenting. So fucking ignorant.

When kids commit suicide a common reason is life long bullying, for example. And often the parents have done all they can to help. Blaming Ozzy might have been low, but I don't think you can imagine the pain you feel when your child kills himself.

With the possibilities surrounding the album being removed from Best Buy stock and the new stage props I would like to think that CD is going to get a re-release before, or early into, the forthcoming US dates.. Either that or something else, like a live album or DVD..

well, there where mics+recording consoles everywhere in the last two shows i went (La plata n Rosario)

remember what the guy from the DVD/Documentary of the SA tour? that they needed more material to finish it... here is hoping...

Needing more.... idd....what's a nice GNR DVD without Estranged....and maybe even more !

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

China really needs to steal this idea for a Mao theme Park. Great way to boost tourism.

Would sort of undermine China’s supposed communism with the epitome symbol of capitalism, a theme park.

The Mao head is pretty chilling and profound.

You’re an idiot (see Chinese Democracy the single and Axl’s extensive critique on China for details).

Axl isn’t glorifying Mao; it’s all relative to the theme of oppression and brutality apparent throughout the album.

New stage props = new music.

Does the appearance of alternate artwork fuel the notion of a possible re-release? Particularly with Best Buy ridding themselves of all original Chinese Democracy copies? Yes.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

In the article that somebody recently posted, Axl is quoted as saying that it just sounded cool, when pressed about why he came up with the title chinese democracy.

Nobody cares about the name of the second album

Fans just want a new album, with new music.

THe name of the album isn't important. Nobody wants a remixed album.

We just want new music.

In the article that somebody recently posted, Axl is quoted as saying that it just sounded cool, when pressed about why he came up with the title chinese democracy.

Nobody cares about the name of the second album

Fans just want a new album, with new music.

THe name of the album isn't important. Nobody wants a remixed album.

We just want new music.

Maybe we don't care, but calling the next album Chinese Democracy would be giving it a big commercial disadvantage. We represent about 0,1 % of the fanbase and with many other, Chinese Democracy is associated with something bad.

Three years after the release, the last thing I want is a re-release. WTF is the purpose besides making a few more bucks? It'd be the very thing Axl has despised Slash for - selling out to make a few bucks.

A NEW fucking release would be nice, especially given the fact that he's admitted to having 2+ albums worth of music plus whatever else is locked up in a vault. But let me guess, he's going to blame it on lawsuits and personal problems right?

I also hate when rockstars or actors make any sort of political statement.

What about a re-release with a second disc containing a bunch of new songs?

Why the need to rerelease the old songs though?

They're just stage props to spruce it up a little. Not everything Axl does is some coded message to the true believers or something. They're probably something that Axl/management just didn't get around to actually commissioning for the past 10 years. A lot of bands have weird things on stage. I'm sure Rush isn't trying to make some big statement having rotisserie chickens in their cabinets. The album and lead single were called Chinese Democracy and art work in the case had a red hand and Mao's head. That's all there is to it.