Worcester, MA 11/25

GNR fan Boston

They've been playing to mostly half empty arenas. I saw them at Target Center a couple of weeks ago...capacity is 18,000+, they sold about 8,000 on that one. Axl has some difficult decisions to make once this tour wraps. Does he keep pushing this version of the band? Does he go and do a solo album & tour? Or...does he reconcile with Slash, Duff & Izzy and do a reunion tour? IF they make it into the R&R HOF, my bet is on the latter.

The best they can do now imo is releasing a new album. Chinese Democracy turned 3 years old a couple days ago and we all know how big of a succes it was. No album promotion, no video's, no band promotion, no interviews (beside of the Eddie Trunk interview but that one came 3 years too late)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've been playing to mostly half empty arenas. I saw them at Target Center a couple of weeks ago...capacity is 18,000+, they sold about 8,000 on that one. Axl has some difficult decisions to make once this tour wraps. Does he keep pushing this version of the band? Does he go and do a solo album & tour? Or...does he reconcile with Slash, Duff & Izzy and do a reunion tour? IF they make it into the R&R HOF, my bet is on the latter.

So, basically your saying Axl should reunite with the old band to increase record sales in the U.S.? Are you serious? I don't think any of the five men you mentioned would consider ever doing that, because it would have to be a mutual decision to reunite, not a money factor.

And besides, they haven't had much success in the US since the 2001 tour, but everywhere else they play to packed hours with 50k, 60k sold out shows in South America. So it's not like their not popular worldwide, it's just the U.S.

This is what 4,000 look like in a 'B' town.

http://www.rrstar.com/multimedia/galleries/x2043512859/Poison-concert-a-big-hit?photo=13

I once saw Poison/Great White/RATT/LA Guns in the same building, probably 4,000 or 5,000. Tell me how anyone made money on *that* tour if you "need" 10,000 tickets sold every night to make a tour and show profitable.

Say you do 35 US dates and you gross 400,000 (8,000 tickets at an average of $50) at each, that's $14,000,000. Take some for the building, and the promoter's profit, and the production expense from GNR's fee... I don't understand the obsession with sold out shows or filling huge buildings. Full buildings are better than half-full buildings, but some of these buildings are very large. And there's got to be a sweet spot for where, on the business end, the shows have to perform.

Since I don't know where that is, and don't have the gate receipts, and there's parking and merchandise and concessions, I don't know. But they probably don't need 15,000 people in a 15,000 person building in order to call a show a "success", and just because they can "only" sell 8,000 tickets out of 12,000 it doesn't mean they need to do club or theater shows.

Edited by Gagarin

This is what 4,000 look like in a 'B' town.

http://www.rrstar.com/multimedia/galleries/x2043512859/Poison-concert-a-big-hit?photo=13

I once saw Poison/Great White/RATT/LA Guns in the same building, probably 4,000 or 5,000. Tell me how anyone made money on *that* tour if you "need" 10,000 tickets sold every night to make a tour and show profitable.

I seriously doubt their break even is 10K tickets per show. Maybe 2000 or so.

Sort of sucks that a Friday night show starts and end a little earlier than weeknight shows...

Edited by Coma16

So, basically your saying Axl should reunite with the old band to increase record sales in the U.S.? Are you serious? I don't think any of the five men you mentioned would consider ever doing that, because it would have to be a mutual decision to reunite, not a money factor.

And besides, they haven't had much success in the US since the 2001 tour, but everywhere else they play to packed hours with 50k, 60k sold out shows in South America. So it's not like their not popular worldwide, it's just the U.S.

They are doing very well in South America, but they are not playing 50k or 60k sold out shows:

Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile

Oct. 5, 2011

$586,306

9,071 / 14,841

1 / 0

Estadio Unico Ciudad de La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Oct. 8, 2011

$2,145,810

27,200 / 37,593

1 / 0

Jockey Club, Asuncion, Paraguay

Oct. 15, 2011

$1,052,320

26,419 / 30,683 (+31,917 from Aerosmith)

1 / 0

Palacio de los Deportes, Mexico City, Mexico

Oct. 18-19, 2011

$1,522,850

31,912 / 39,124

2 / 0

no interviews (beside of the Eddie Trunk interview but that one came 3 years too late)

There were interviews. Axl even came to the forums to talk directly to the fans.

And that's the problem. Not only fans visit their shows but also the regular man in the street who only know the classic G N' R songs but don't know shit about this new band because of the lack of communication.

does anyone has an idea how many tickets where sold for this show?

I just got back from the show and it looked pretty full to me. That picture doesn't really represent how full that section was, from memory at any-rate.

This is a true statement. I was against the stage and looked back a few times and the place was pretty full. Few spots here and there with open seats, but overall that house was packed.

The band isn't giving the cupcakes much to bitch about here lately!!

They are getting on stage at an earlier time than normal GNR time, They are playing close to 3 hours every night. Set list even if it doesn't change that much has a good mix of the new and old stuff.

The only thing to bitch about has been how many empty seats are there and the one cancelled show. But they are playing to 7,000+ FANS just about every stop.

There are not many bands rock, country or whatever, that can sell 10,000+ seats every night in the winter, close to Christmas in an economy that is in the shitter. The list would be very short and GNR are not on it.

Why would Axl do anything different after this tour. There will be no reunion or solo album.

I think they have GNR firing on all cylinders with line up.

I also think Bumblefoot and DJ are getting Axl into the more modern way of doing things and he seems to be really enjoying it. It's really like after Dj had played a several shows Axl started to look like he was having fun again, more band and fan interaction

Edited by bigcountry

not sure if it's right but still sth like this;

Intro

Chinese Democracy

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

Scraped

Estranged

Richard Fortus Solo

Live And Let Die

This I Love

Rocket Queen

Sonic Reducer Tommy vocals

Dizzy Piano Solo

Street Of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

Dj ASHBA Guitar Solo

Sweet Child O' Mine

Axl Rose Piano Solo

November Rain

Don't Cry

Knockin on Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Madagasgar

Shackler's Revenge

Patience

Paradise City

Edited by DrDrei

They are doing very well in South America, but they are not playing 50k or 60k sold out shows:

Oct. 5, 2011

$586,306

9,071 / 14,841

1 / 0

Oct. 8, 2011

$2,145,810

27,200 / 37,593

1 / 0

Oct. 15, 2011

$1,052,320

1 / 0

Oct. 18-19, 2011

$1,522,850

31,912 / 39,124

2 / 0

haha yeah right Paragvay was with more than 60000 ...prove tv report on youtube

I'm from Serbia but my brother have lived in UI more than 25 years...He was on the show,and we were chating about show...

He is old school guy,and his favorite bands are acdc,led zeppelin,pink floyd...But he said that Axl was apsolutelly amazing,and especiallly likee Ron Thal...

About audience he said that there were about 10000 people but after nighttrain 5000 left the building...I don't get it.Across the globe gnr doing late shows,but only in US people left before the end...

Oct. 5, 2011

$586,306

9,071 / 14,841

1 / 0

Oct. 8, 2011

$2,145,810

27,200 / 37,593

1 / 0

Oct. 15, 2011

$1,052,320

1 / 0

Oct. 18-19, 2011

$1,522,850

31,912 / 39,124

2 / 0

haha yeah right Paragvay was with more than 60000 ...prove tv report on youtube

These are official numbers. Paraguay was a double concert with Aerosmith. 26,419 were listed for Guns and 31,917 for Aerosmith, but with a ticket for one band you could see the other for free.

Edited by MK83

no interviews (beside of the Eddie Trunk interview but that one came 3 years too late)

There were interviews. Axl even came to the forums to talk directly to the fans.

And that's the problem. Not only fans visit their shows but also the regular man in the street who only know the classic G N' R songs but don't know shit about this new band because of the lack of communication.

Yeah, they could have promoted more, but still, interviews were done both with Spinner and Billboard. People tend to forget that.

Still mighty sore from jumping around/drinking...

Axl didn't say much, in fact, all I can recall him saying was something about being early, and that he was at 10:22.

Scraped isn't one of my favorite Chinese songs by any means, but I was real happy for us to get something "special."

Highlight of the show was during Brownstone in the pit when I looked to my left and watched a guy carefully dump a bag of white powder on a girls clevage and then proceed to dig his nose in some titties. That was a riot.