Why do people wear Gn'R shirts to Gn'R shows?

GnR Chris

I wear my old GNR shirts to shows (UYI tour shirt especially) because I am proud to have been a devoted fan of this band for so long. I guess I'm trying to separate myself from the casual fans at the show. I follow the unwritten rule when I go see other bands too. I only suit up for GNR shows.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't anyone ever get the memo? You don't wear a band shirt of the band you're going to see live. I've never seen more egregious offenders than at the Guns show in Chicago.

Going to the Phx show..I was just thinking of wearing my GNR shirt from a 1986 concert at Clebrity Theatre. It has the banned album cover on the front, and Guns N Roses was here on the back. I Sat in the 3rd row w/ my sis. The band was about 2 or 3 hours late, but when you're 16, and me....that was expected and made it cooler. It meant we stayed out til 2 am. Unbelieveable show w/ Adler on drums, Izzy, and of course the other 3 dudes. There was probably not anyone over 30 at those shows because it was a new band. Now in 2011, their original fanbase is around 40..not saying they dont have young fans. But I am saying there are some older rockers at a GNR show who probably dont care about the "You don't wear a band shirt of the band you're going to see live" rule at this point w/ GNR. Metallicas early shows - every person in the place would have someting metallica on. So maybe thats what we are missing. In some ways, I do see your point though. Imangine wearing say-- a Muse shirt to one of thier shows?? Then maybe the rule might............

Rock on F#$%ers!!

@bionic,

Actually, I weigh the same today as I weighed 13 years ago when I was 16. Booya.

I actually think it's cool to see people where their old your shirts. I saw one guy with a Get in the Ring shirt. That was badass.

@reckless,

Great point, dude. I think some of it might be generational. I did indeed see more of the older crowd wearing the assorted Guns shirts at the arena.

Didn't anyone ever get the memo? You don't wear a band shirt of the band you're going to see live. I've never seen more egregious offenders than at the Guns show in Chicago.

Wearing their shirt shows you are into them enough to drop money on their merchandise, why would that be a bad thing? Every GNR concert I've attended, half the audience was wearing their gear. It's no different than sporting events, the majority of the crowd wears the home team's gear.

Exactly! Just to show support. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. This past time when I saw them in Houston I took my Sturgis shirt. The next day in Dallas, I didnt wear a Guns shirt.

Its true, this is the rule. Also if you are driving a fair distance to see a band you shouldn't have that band on the stereo all the way. Its just not the way to do things.

Always heard this as well.

Huh, see I got this one backward. If it's a long trip I'll try to get through the whole catalog by the time I get to the venue!

Hey OP I was at Chicago and didn't get the memo along with most of the other people there. Probably has something to do with that nonexistent memo.

Guy in front me mine had a long sleeve 2002-2003 shirt, so I knew he was a hard core fan. Guy next to me was singing the new songs too like me.

Ever been to a gun show? A race? People tend to dress according to the event they attend.

Edited by Sweersa

Its true, this is the rule. Also if you are driving a fair distance to see a band you shouldn't have that band on the stereo all the way. Its just not the way to do things.

Always heard this as well.

Huh, see I got this one backward. If it's a long trip I'll try to get through the whole catalog by the time I get to the venue!

I try to spend a few days prior to the concert without listening to the band.

So on the way to the concert we're not supposed to listen to the band we're seeing, but while we're tailgating in the parking lot before the show it's okay? :crazy:

I'm not an idiot. It's pretty common knowledge. Of course people can do whatever they want.

If you want to look like a relic or someone's parents on their first night out in years, go ahead and wear the band shirt.

Might you also be the same grown men who wear sports jerseys with other men's names on your backs when you go to live sporting events?

i am a relic.......and a parent of two........this WILL be my first night out in forever, and i am going to put on the shirt i buy at merch the second they let me into the venue.....the chinese worker one....if there are any left!!

I don't have anything against wearing a Guns show to a Guns show...I think it's weird if you wear a shirt from another band to the show...I saw a guy with a Stone Temple Pilots shirt at the Worcester show...and I was like...why? what does that even mean?....or a generic AC/DC shirt just to show...oh yeah, btw, I listen to rock music...but a Guns shirt...fuck yeah I'll wear one

I'm not an idiot. It's pretty common knowledge. Of course people can do whatever they want.

If you want to look like a relic or someone's parents on their first night out in years, go ahead and wear the band shirt.

Might you also be the same grown men who wear sports jerseys with other men's names on your backs when you go to live sporting events?

i am a relic.......and a parent of two........this WILL be my first night out in forever, and i am going to put on the shirt i buy at merch the second they let me into the venue.....the chinese worker one....if there are any left!!

I got that shirt at the Chicago show and have it on now. It really stood out from the others so I had to have it!

See, I buy a shirt AT the show, and simply putting it on beats carrying it around.

I wore my 2010 tour shirt and put on the two I bought at the show over top so I didn't have to carry them.

Wearing your favorite bands tshirt at one of their shows is fine.