Civil War: Just how badly do we all want to hear this song live?

ITW 2012

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly prefer to hear this band do "Locomotive" moreso than Civil War and Oh My God, but I don't ever see that as an option. I'd like to hear Oh My God first I think, mainly because Slash is playing Civil War and playing it fairly well. Definitely top 3 GNR songs for me, but we haven't heard a good live version of Oh My God yet and I think this group could do it.

I'd certainly prefer to hear this band do "Locomotive" moreso than Civil War and Oh My God, but I don't ever see that as an option. I'd like to hear Oh My God first I think, mainly because Slash is playing Civil War and playing it fairly well. Definitely top 3 GNR songs for me, but we haven't heard a good live version of Oh My God yet and I think this group could do it.

I think Oh My God is a really tough one for Axl to sing live. Plus, not a lot of people know it. Civil War will get a great crowd reaction.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Civil War would be so appropriate when you consider the political and social condition of the US.

However this was the #1 desire of all fans and GN’R delivered upon that, so Civil War not appearing wouldn’t disappoint me greatly:

There are tons of songs that they need to play at every show and then there are tons of songs they play at every show that they really shouldn't. It's So Easy, Live and Let Die, ACDC covers, maybe even Mr. Brownstone. I really wish they'd do something like Metallica, where you get the majority of the songs everybody knows and likes and then you have 4 or so blanks that allow you to rotate and fill with whatever you like. I really do think they have too many good songs for Axl to be playing up to four covers a night.

That really IS strange. You've got 30 songs to pick from successful albums, among the staples are 2 covers and then a couple of more songs, and the rest is ditched for AC/DC covers every night. I don't get it. If they want to play a non recorded cover it would also make sense to rotate them a lot; make it a surprise each night.

That really IS strange. You've got 30 songs to pick from successful albums, among the staples are 2 covers and then a couple of more songs, and the rest is ditched for AC/DC covers every night. I don't get it. If they want to play a non recorded cover it would also make sense to rotate them a lot; make it a surprise each night.

Exactly. I think it becomes a problem when the band is so predictable that this entire board can list the songs they'll perform that night in the correct order that they'll be performed. Change it up. Make the encore three or so songs that rotate every night. It'd be too logical I think.

And is Live and Let Die even that good? Why is it a "must" at their shows? Didn't like McCartney's, don't really like Guns' that much. I think they keep it for the pyro.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

Exactly. I think it becomes a problem when the band is so predictable that this entire board can list the songs they'll perform that night in the correct order that they'll be performed. Change it up. Make the encore three or so songs that rotate every night. It'd be too logical I think.

And is Live and Let Die even that good? Why is it a "must" at their shows? Didn't like McCartney's, don't really like Guns' that much. I think they keep it for the pyro.

Haven't really ever seen any love for Live And Let Die. Some would say "but it was a hit", but anything GN'R would've released as a single at that point would've had at least some success.

Bobbo......"milking the old band's success"........would you agree that since Axl helped make those songs what they are that he has the right to play them? Especially considering that the fans who attend the shows WANT to hear Axl singing them?

People don't get mad when VR does GnR songs, it when Slashs solo band does GnR songs.......but it isn't ok for Axl to do GnR songs? I guess I don't understand the double standard.

What would you say -in your opinionn Axl should do. No old songs, only as many as Slash plays, equal songs per albums, etc.

Bands typically play 4-6 songs off of new albums, and then all the old classics. That's what GnR is doing. I would guess when we get a second album a few more old songs will be dropped.

You said that you think the majority of people want to hear the old songs.....so isn't Axl giving the fans what they want then?

If it was up to me, they would keep the classics and new songs.....but change the lald, otgm, easy, heavens door, acdc covers and replace them with songs we haven't heard forever. Civil war, yesterday, crazy (slow version), don't damn me, etc.

I just have to chuckle at this type of thread. I would say 90% of bands play the exact same setlist night in night out on the same order on any given tour and we bitch. The fact that there"s any variation in the setlist at all is nice for me.

I'm not a musician, but I really don't get why a band would want to play the exact same songs every night. Think about it, doing the exact same thing for 3 hours every other night for months? One would think it would be more exciting and fun to mix it up a bit.

People can't make petitions and complain about the setlist all the time, 'cause it loses credibility. The Estranged campaign worked 'cause it was a first. If a Civil War, an Oh My God and a Pretty Tied Up Campaing all appear at once, or even one shortly after the other, it'll completely lose credibility. Fans need to unite and decide, then do another campaign, and it's still not the time for it.

People can't make petitions and complain about the setlist all the time, 'cause it loses credibility. The Estranged campaign worked 'cause it was a first. If a Civil War, an Oh My God and a Pretty Tied Up Campaing all appear at once, or even one shortly after the other, it'll completely lose credibility. Fans need to unite and decide, then do another campaign, and it's still not the time for it.

What do you mean its not the time for? The tour is over at the end of the month, this is exactly when you campaign; Estranged got the beginning of the tour, whatever we campaign for now gets the end.

What do you mean its not the time for? The tour is over at the end of the month, this is exactly when you campaign; Estranged got the beginning of the tour, whatever we campaign for now gets the end.

It's still not the time. People should start this in between this and the next tour. Chances they'll pay attention to a campaign while on tour, and having just added Estranged by request to the setlist are small. While on hold 'till their concert in Poland, that's the time. They have plenty of time to rehearse too.

It's still not the time. People should start this in between this and the next tour. Chances they'll pay attention to a campaign while on tour, and having just added Estranged by request to the setlist are small. While on hold 'till their concert in Poland, that's the time. They have plenty of time to rehearse too.

They already have these songs rehearsed - you saw the setlist of options they've posted, no?