Civil War: Just how badly do we all want to hear this song live?

ITW 2012

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly prefer to hear this band do "Locomotive" moreso than Civil War and Oh My God, but I don't ever see that as an option. I'd like to hear Oh My God first I think, mainly because Slash is playing Civil War and playing it fairly well. Definitely top 3 GNR songs for me, but we haven't heard a good live version of Oh My God yet and I think this group could do it.

one thing is sure, the band would sound better than the old one on locomotive.

People can't make petitions and complain about the setlist all the time, 'cause it loses credibility. The Estranged campaign worked 'cause it was a first. If a Civil War, an Oh My God and a Pretty Tied Up Campaing all appear at once, or even one shortly after the other, it'll completely lose credibility. Fans need to unite and decide, then do another campaign, and it's still not the time for it.

What do you mean its not the time for? The tour is over at the end of the month, this is exactly when you campaign; Estranged got the beginning of the tour, whatever we campaign for now gets the end.

It's still not the time. People should start this in between this and the next tour. Chances they'll pay attention to a campaign while on tour, and having just added Estranged by request to the setlist are small. While on hold 'till their concert in Poland, that's the time. They have plenty of time to rehearse too.

They already have these songs rehearsed - you saw the setlist of options they've posted, no?

Yeah, but I mean for Civil War. It's not like they'll rehearse it on the middle of the tour. Those they have already rehearsed are ok to request but not Civil War, Yesterdays, Pretty Tied Up, not yet.

People can't make petitions and complain about the setlist all the time, 'cause it loses credibility. The Estranged campaign worked 'cause it was a first. If a Civil War, an Oh My God and a Pretty Tied Up Campaing all appear at once, or even one shortly after the other, it'll completely lose credibility. Fans need to unite and decide, then do another campaign, and it's still not the time for it.

What do you mean its not the time for? The tour is over at the end of the month, this is exactly when you campaign; Estranged got the beginning of the tour, whatever we campaign for now gets the end.

It's still not the time. People should start this in between this and the next tour. Chances they'll pay attention to a campaign while on tour, and having just added Estranged by request to the setlist are small. While on hold 'till their concert in Poland, that's the time. They have plenty of time to rehearse too.

They already have these songs rehearsed - you saw the setlist of options they've posted, no?

Yeah, but I mean for Civil War. It's not like they'll rehearse it on the middle of the tour. Those they have already rehearsed are ok to request but not Civil War, Yesterdays, Pretty Tied Up, not yet.

Apparently they rehearsed Civil War before the show yesterday (check thread!)

the band recorded Live and Let Die when they heard that a DJ at a radio station thought the song was overplayed and wished it would go away, and with Axl loving the song, thought it'd be appropriate for Guns to release there version, and I'm sure he still feels the same when he plays it live. It's a quality song.

I'd certainly prefer to hear this band do "Locomotive" moreso than Civil War and Oh My God, but I don't ever see that as an option. I'd like to hear Oh My God first I think, mainly because Slash is playing Civil War and playing it fairly well. Definitely top 3 GNR songs for me, but we haven't heard a good live version of Oh My God yet and I think this group could do it.

one thing is sure, the band would sound better than the old one on locomotive.

I'm not worried about that. I always thought Slash sounded pretty sloppy on all the little licks on the recording and I think Bumble could play them awesome, as long as they're not mindless shreds.

What concerns me is the tone. They'll play it tight, but the end tone/feel is really important. It's something I haven't seen them get right in Estranged yet, despite playing that well. I would have liked to see Finck do it.

And the band will always have to play the classics. The problem is that they're playing some of the wrong classics right now. Live and Let Die? I wouldn't care if they took that out and added nothing, honestly.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

I don't begrudge Axl playing the old hits but it would be refreshing if he mixed in a few more rarely played ChiDem songs or UYI songs to keep things fresh and ditch the cover songs for the hardcore fans who support the band............

Axl has stated they play the covers because it gets him pumped up, so they do it for him more than for the crowd. However, the fans obviously benefit indirectly because an energized Axl = a better show. Hey whatever works for him, I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

mainly because Slash is playing Civil War and playing it fairly well.

I don't think this is a real problem though. Look at how well this band plays Estranged, a song with "Slash" written all over it. I think they could pull off Civil War.

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that I'm currently hearing Civil War live done by a pretty solid group. I'd love to hear GN'R do it again, but I'd rather hear songs I'm not currently hearing.

Classic and bobbo....we actually agree for the most part on this.

The "milking the old bands success" just painted a bad picture.

I think one album in a decade is ridiculous. And it has been three years with CD....if we don't have enough to put out a new album soon, then do some sort of special release to fill up the waiting period. A dvd and the best leftovers from the CD sessions.

I would do that as soon as this tour is over. And them release a new album, by this band, within a year. Do not make the fans wait 2-3 more years for another album.

I would hope the next tour will feature new songs. I have to fly to a different city, so if they tour in 2012 without new material....I won't be attending.

Songs they'll be playing for ever and ever

- SCOM

- WTTJ :)

- PC

- Nightrain

- NR

- YCBM

- KOHD

and maybe ISE, Patience and DC

No reason why they cant do those 10 every night and rotate the rest of the catalogue.

Edited by Aussiegun

- WTTF

What does this stand for...

And as for those worried about GNR going on tour after their next long break for a few years and not playing any new songs when they come back, think about it this way.

In 2001/2002, we got Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, "The Blues", Riad N' The Bedouins, and Silkworms.

In 2006/2007, we got There Was A Time, Better, and IRS.

In 2009/2010/2011, we got If The World, Sorry, Scraped, Catcher In The Rye, Prostitute, This I Love, and Shackler's Revenge (And who knows what else is to come)

After a long break, GNR will always come back with never-before-played, post-1994 material. And since all of the Chinese Democracy songs have already been played live, it will have to be new!

Edited by GNRSkidRow1

- WTTF

What does this stand for...

Welcome To The Fortus :laugh:

For that reason alone, I'm hoping all new songs will have one-word titles. As the GNR catalogue gets larger, it's becoming difficult trying to figure out sometimes whether we are talking about Paradise City or Perfect Crime :shades: