Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

Ermm...maybe. But Matt was that somebody on the drums, and Dizzy was that other somebody on the keyboards. I agree that some of the anticipation was due to Appetite, but it wouldn't make sense that the albums weren't successes in their own right if the songs are still constantly played on the radio decades later. Had it just been the flavor of the week, we wouldn't still be hearing those songs in rotation. It doesn't matter if their contributions were liked by you or not. The point is, and the only point that matters for them to eligible is that their contributions were on those songs. Some of those songs were hits, and they were official members at that point. Doesn't matter if you consider them to be good or not, their contributions were part of the hits. Therefore, they deserve to get in. It's that simple.

All of the anticipation was due to Appetite and Lies. Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet and nothing Matt or Dizzy did would have changed that. I don't think you understand how big GN'R actually was. If they had done it with no drums and keyboards, it would have started a trend of bands not using drums and keyboards. There aren't many bands that can claim to have reached the level that they did. I know that it was Matt and Dizzy, but Matt and Dizzy were just lucky to be along for the ride.

I'm not underestimating anything. But the Illusions were more than just a fad and and the bastard child of a trend, for whatever reason you wanna think of. Had they been real stinkers, and only sold because of the success of the previous records, we wouldn't continually hear those songs all the time on the radio. It would just be buried.

Maybe Matt and Dizzy were just lucky, I've really never disputed you on that aspect of it. But the point remains they played on songs that were hits, and again, according to what was said, that makes them eligible.

Everyone who's ever been a member of the band is eligible, that doesn't mean that they should be included.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it even a question who should be inducted? It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that anyone from the new band should have anything to do with the night at all. I like the new band but let's call it how it is. The new band is a bunch of professional musicians who are filling a spot, that numerous professional musicians have filled before them. Nothing they have done (or could do) would change the GNR legacy. They are just there to tour and take orders. They are irrelevant in the broad spectrum of things. Of course GNR have an interesting bunch of fans who cling to whoever comes into the band and whoever comes in will "always be better then the old band". That is fine, but it isn't reality. Reality is that the new band is completely irrelevant in the music industry. Rio only strengthened that. They may play the songs well, in fact there are a lot of cover bands that do, but at the end of the day they will never be the GNR that people care about. Like I said, I like the new band, but I'm stating facts.

The inductees should be:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Izzy

Steven

Matt

You aren't stating facts at all. Just because u believe strongly in something doesn't make it a fact. You are stating your opinion.

Some of it I actually agree with, but some of your post is ridiculous.

Feel free to state your opinion, but your post clearly was not "fact."

So what parts do you agree with and what don't you agree with? I'm interested to know.

Ermm...maybe. But Matt was that somebody on the drums, and Dizzy was that other somebody on the keyboards. I agree that some of the anticipation was due to Appetite, but it wouldn't make sense that the albums weren't successes in their own right if the songs are still constantly played on the radio decades later. Had it just been the flavor of the week, we wouldn't still be hearing those songs in rotation. It doesn't matter if their contributions were liked by you or not. The point is, and the only point that matters for them to eligible is that their contributions were on those songs. Some of those songs were hits, and they were official members at that point. Doesn't matter if you consider them to be good or not, their contributions were part of the hits. Therefore, they deserve to get in. It's that simple.

All of the anticipation was due to Appetite and Lies. Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet and nothing Matt or Dizzy did would have changed that. I don't think you understand how big GN'R actually was. If they had done it with no drums and keyboards, it would have started a trend of bands not using drums and keyboards. There aren't many bands that can claim to have reached the level that they did. I know that it was Matt and Dizzy, but Matt and Dizzy were just lucky to be along for the ride.

I'm not underestimating anything. But the Illusions were more than just a fad and and the bastard child of a trend, for whatever reason you wanna think of. Had they been real stinkers, and only sold because of the success of the previous records, we wouldn't continually hear those songs all the time on the radio. It would just be buried.

Maybe Matt and Dizzy were just lucky, I've really never disputed you on that aspect of it. But the point remains they played on songs that were hits, and again, according to what was said, that makes them eligible.

Everyone who's ever been a member of the band is eligible, that doesn't mean that they should be included.

That's because nothing from Chinese Democracy was a hit, I wouldn't really call it a time of commercial and critical success. Not to be blunt but...

Matt and Dizzy had contributions on songs that were popular and significant hits that the band will always be remembered for. Nothing really significant came out of Chinese Democracy, material wise.

Edited by Bobbo

Matt and Dizzy had contributions on songs that were popular and significant hits. Nothing really significant came out of Chinese Democracy, material wise.

Buckethead's TWAT solo is better than anything Sorum and Reed contributed to UYI. But I don't consider Chinese Democracy to be a Guns N' Roses album. I consider it an Axl Rose solo project.

That's because nothing from Chinese Democracy was a hit, I wouldn't really call it a time of commercial and critical success. Not to sound blunt...

Matt and Dizzy had contributions on songs that were popular and significant hits. Nothing really significant came out of Chinese Democracy, material wise.

That doesn't make a difference at all, if Axl actually does start promoting CD with videos and a re-release, there are quite a few songs that could become hits. That still wouldn't make it right for anyone other than the original 5 to join in my opinion.

That's because nothing from Chinese Democracy was a hit, I wouldn't really call it a time of commercial and critical success. Not to be blunt but...

Matt and Dizzy had contributions on songs that were popular and significant hits that the band will always be remembered for. Nothing really significant came out of Chinese Democracy, material wise.

This is exactly 100% spot on right there.

Matt and Dizzy contributed on legendary songs. Not to mention a legendary world tour. To compare CD to UYI is ridiculous. Nothing significant came from that record. I like the record, but you have to be realistic with things. The new band allows Axl to tour the name around the world. Does it mean anything to most people, no. GNR will not be relevant again until a reunion happens.

Edited by *YOOSH*

That's because nothing from Chinese Democracy was a hit, I wouldn't really call it a time of commercial and critical success. Not to sound blunt...

That doesn't make a difference at all, if Axl actually does start promoting CD with videos and a re-release, there are quite a few songs that could become hits. That still wouldn't make it right for anyone other than the original 5 to join in my opinion.

Great, that's your stance on it and you're entitled to it. If CD material became significant enough...that'd be interesting...lol. The point is, it wasn't and it's not.

I still stand by my opinion that Matt and Dizzy should be allowed in with the original 5 though.

Buckethead's TWAT solo is better than anything Sorum and Reed contributed to UYI. But I don't consider Chinese Democracy to be a Guns N' Roses album. I consider it an Axl Rose solo project.

I consider it a Guns N' Roses album

Great, that's your stance on it and you're entitled to it. If CD material became significant enough...that'd be interesting...lol. The point is, it wasn't and it's not.

I still stand by my opinion that Matt and Dizzy should be allowed in with the original 5 though.

And I stand by mine that they shouldn't. It doesn't have anything to do with talent or what they did, it's that they made no contribution to the success of the band. If you want to reward luck, that's up to you. I'll stick with rewarding the people that earned it.

What they played on were hits though and that's what made them eligible. All I'm saying is that they were apart of the band. Whether you liked them or their parts is entirely up to you. It's subjective. It's opinion. Not fact. There's people that like Sorum's drums, and what Dizzy added. They played. What they played on became legendary, and therefore, they earned it.

Edited by Bobbo

And I stand by mine that they shouldn't. It doesn't have anything to do with talent or what they did, it's that they made no contribution to the success of the band. If you want to reward luck, that's up to you. I'll stick with rewarding the people that earned it.

What they played on were hits though and that's what made them eligible. All I'm saying is that they were apart of the band. Whether you liked them or their parts in entirely up to you. It's subjective. It's opinion. Not fact. There's people that like Sorum's drums, and what Dizzy added. They played. What they played on became legendary, and therefore, they earned it.

Whether I like them or not is completely irrelevant. The fact is that they didn't take Guns from nothing to the top of the world. Only those that did deserve to go in.

Are people here insane?

Dizzy is as peripheral as they come. He and Sorum had zero to do with the success of GnR. Their contributions on Illusions were no greater than any others who got recording credits. Come on. It could have been anyone in those two spots.

The legendary Gn'R is Izzy, Duff, Slash, Adler and Axl. It's a fucking shame if Dizzy goes in. A fucking shame.

But saying "they just got lucky" is your perception of things. Not fact.

They contributed to hits. Material that the band will forever be known for.

It doesn't matter what they played on. They didn't make the band a success. Only the people that took the band to the top should go in, not the people that were hired after they were already there.

It doesn't matter what they played on. They didn't make the band a success. Only the people that took the band to the top should go in, not the people that were hired after they were already there.

But that's not how it works when deciding who's eligible.

As long as the people who did bring the band from rags to riches gets in, I don't see the problem with letting Matt and Dizzy in too. No they might not have been there since day one, but their contributions were on songs that were a very important part of the catalogue. They wrote and recorded their parts. They earned it.

Edited by Bobbo

As long as the people who did bring the band from rags to riches gets in, I don't see the problem with letting Matt and Dizzy in either. No they might not have been there since day one, but their contributions were on songs that were hits. They wrote and recorded their parts. They earned it.

How are you deciding who's eligible? And even if they are eligible, they don't deserve it. People riding other people's coattails shouldn't get the recognition. I like Ron more than any guitarist the band has ever had, but it would piss me off if he got in. Even if they had ten more albums that eclipsed anything before it.

As long as the people who did bring the band from rags to riches gets in, I don't see the problem with letting Matt and Dizzy in either. No they might not have been there since day one, but their contributions were on songs that were hits. They wrote and recorded their parts. They earned it.

How are you deciding who's eligible? And even if they are eligible, they don't deserve it. People riding other people's coattails shouldn't get the recognition. I like Ron more than any guitarist the band has ever had, but it would piss me off if he got in. Even if they had ten more albums that eclipsed anything before it.

I'm not deciding anything. The RNRHOF does that, and I've already told you how they go about doing it based on what was told.

You see it as "people riding other people's coattails". I see it as two dudes who wrote and recorded parts of songs that became huge. They should get some recognition for their time. And I'm betting they probably will.

I'm not deciding anything. The RNRHOF does that, and I've already told you how they go about doing it based on what was told.

You see it as "people riding other people's coattails". I see it as two dudes who wrote and recorded parts of songs that became huge. They should get some recognition for their time. And I'm betting they probably will.

We'll see.

Bobbo won't back down until you agree with him.

Are people here insane?

Dizzy is as peripheral as they come. He and Sorum had zero to do with the success of GnR. Their contributions on Illusions were no greater than any others who got recording credits. Come on. It could have been anyone in those two spots.

The legendary Gn'R is Izzy, Duff, Slash, Adler and Axl. It's a fucking shame if Dizzy goes in. A fucking shame.

You gotta be kidding me.

The why introducing Adler? The guy never wrote or co-wrote a single song/lyrics.

If he goes in, Dizzy should too... and Wes Arkeen!

It's not putting down the current lineup to say they do not have 0.0001% to do with GNR being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Some of you guys act like they are retards, that DJ, Fortus, Bumble, Frank etc. wouldn't feel like clowns taking the stage for this particular event with the original lineup. I'm sure they are intelligent and self-aware enough to know the deal here because it couldn't be more cut and dry to anyone with a lick of common sense.

The new lineup should be 100% focused on carving out some type of identity for themselves and they're making some strides with the latest tour. But as for any of them besides Axl being deserving for this HOF induction, that's just stupid. Irregardless of whether you've taken Axl's or Slash's side in the split, show some respect for the guys that EARNED this and made it happen. It is special.

That's exactly what I'm talkin' about. BRAVO. :thumbsup:

Edited by pi2loc

The new guys should induct the old band. The new guys should be recognised in some way regardless of some peoples opinions.

But why? Look, I've seen this band more than almost any either person other than Jarmo since 2002. I'm a huge fan of the current band and will always support what Axl and whomever he deems fit to play with him under the moniker of GNR. But why should the new band be recognized in any way? Ask yourself, if GNR had disbanded and Axl moved onto something else other than Guns, would GNR still be inducted? Absolutely. The fact that the band has kept going and released one album in the last 18 years has no bearing on whether GNR is inducted in the HOF. It's not a condamnation of the current lineup or speaks to their own ability. But common sense dictates that those in the HOF belong there because of their legendary work and contribution. GNR's reason for being inducted has nothing to do with the contribution of the new band members so why should they be recognized. Where do you draw the line? Should Paul Tobias be included? How about Buckethead? Fink? Anyone loosely associated with GNR at one point or another? My vote is for the members who were around and responsible for the four albums (AFD, Lies, UYI1&2) that put them in the hall: Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven and Matt since his drumming was necessary for the Illusion albums and tours.

It's not putting down the current lineup to say they do not have 0.0001% to do with GNR being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Some of you guys act like they are retards, that DJ, Fortus, Bumble, Frank etc. wouldn't feel like clowns taking the stage for this particular event with the original lineup. I'm sure they are intelligent and self-aware enough to know the deal here because it couldn't be more cut and dry to anyone with a lick of common sense.

The new lineup should be 100% focused on carving out some type of identity for themselves and they're making some strides with the latest tour. But as for any of them besides Axl being deserving for this HOF induction, that's just stupid. Irregardless of whether you've taken Axl's or Slash's side in the split, show some respect for the guys that EARNED this and made it happen. It is special.

Bravo! Exactly.

This post is exactly correct. If the current GNR wants to be considered a legitimate band, tours like they're on go along way. How could anyone accept the notion of DJ standing up during the awards ceremony considering he's not on any GNR album and has played maybe 20-30 shows so far.

Bottom line, as great as Chinese Democracy is, it has no bearing on why GNR is getting inducted.

Some times I wonder why I even bother coming to GNR forums anymore when I'm compelled to contribute to threads like this. How this is even a discussion is ridiculous. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Just curious, anyone here who thinks the current band should be included/mentioned in the induction ceremony also a fan of GNR back in the late 80s or early 90s? I'm thinking that those who came to GNR late are more likely to believe the current roster should get some recognition.

Cheers,

Andrew

You nailed it Andrew. Post of the year. Everyone keeps trying to make comparisons to Matt and the NuGNR members. Its insane. Matt recorded 2 legendary albums and was on the legendary UYI tour. That guy has a place in history. All this talk that he is on the same level as any of the new members is crazy. They have nothing on him. Imagine seeing Ashba up there with his top hat on standing next to Slash. Don't make me laugh...

That's weird the show I went to people sang along to Chi dem, SOD, Better.

Same in Hamilton, everyone was singing the new stuff :)

people go to see GnR to hear Jungle, SCOM, NR & KOHD.

I LOVE the new band, and CD is my favorite album.

But do you think people go to see Metallica to hear Death magnetic? Do you think they go to see Judas Priest to hear Nostradamus? Do you think they go to see AC/DC to hear they last album?

No, as great as CD is, the majority will go to hear the old songs.

Reading that people sing along Better, CD or SOD is fucking refreshing!