Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be nice if the entire old band accepted the award together.

You don't have to talk, don't have to play, don't have to make eye contact.

Walk out there. Say thanks. Be a pro.

Obviously there's a lot that goes into it but being the bigger dude and letting go of "who's right" or rather... "who's in the wrong" can go a long way.

Edited by Brodie

How about a fair comparison? GNR vs GNR

haha get wrecked old gnr wins!

I disagree. New Guns does every solo better.

I've also seen better performances of slash and myles.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

The new band has contributed concerts that I would pay money to see. I'm not arguing about the relevance of the old band. The only ones that deserve to be inducted are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No Sorum, Dizzy, or anyone else. They are nominated on the basis of this being the anniversary of AFD, Not the Illusions.

That doesn't change the fact that I haven't liked a thing Slash has done since he left the band. I don't care about sales. If I did, Justin Beiber would be a better band than VR and GN'R combined. I can't believe that people use sales as some kind of argument about the quality of something.

I didn't mention sales. I just said VR had success with their first album, people dug it. But if you didn't like it, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

As for how and what they're being inducted for, I think the anniversary of Appetite is just relevant for when they can be inducted, not really what for. I think someone on here mentioned that they induct members that were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success, and if that's the case, Matt and Dizzy should certainly be in there, as the UYI albums and tours were certainly a big time for GNR, and they contributed to that.

I disagree. The Illusions were great albums, but they didn't have anywhere near the impact that AFD did. Even though I personally like the Illusions more than AFD, GN'R changed the whole landscape of rock with 1 album, not 3, and only those that were on that album should be going in to the Hall of Fame. No "hired hands" allowed.

Well, again, we'll have to agree to disagree. The UYIs contained some of GNR's most memorable material. I CONSTANTLY hear November Rain, Don't Cry, Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heaven's Door, You Could Be Mine, and Civil War on my local radio stations. 20 years later. That doesn't JUST happen because of the success you had previously. Sure, the UYIs didn't have as big of an impact as Appetite, but they certainly had an impact. Two top ten singles. Four top forty singles. It certainly falls under "critical and commercial success", and that's what we're told warrants inductions. Matt and Dizzy contributed to that, and therefore, should get in as well.

Matt and Dizzy were no more than "hired hands" like everyone since. The CD band has more of a right to be there than Matt and Dizzy, at least they wrote something. All Matt did was come listen to what everyone else wrote and made some idiotic faces while laying down some simple drum beats. All Dizzy did was play piano for Axl when he was busy singing. They have no right to be there in my opinion.

How about a fair comparison? GNR vs GNR

haha get wrecked old gnr wins!

I disagree. New Guns does every solo better.

I've also seen better performances of slash and myles.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

The new band has contributed concerts that I would pay money to see. I'm not arguing about the relevance of the old band. The only ones that deserve to be inducted are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No Sorum, Dizzy, or anyone else. They are nominated on the basis of this being the anniversary of AFD, Not the Illusions.

That doesn't change the fact that I haven't liked a thing Slash has done since he left the band. I don't care about sales. If I did, Justin Beiber would be a better band than VR and GN'R combined. I can't believe that people use sales as some kind of argument about the quality of something.

I didn't mention sales. I just said VR had success with their first album, people dug it. But if you didn't like it, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

As for how and what they're being inducted for, I think the anniversary of Appetite is just relevant for when they can be inducted, not really what for. I think someone on here mentioned that they induct members that were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success, and if that's the case, Matt and Dizzy should certainly be in there, as the UYI albums and tours were certainly a big time for GNR, and they contributed to that.

I disagree. The Illusions were great albums, but they didn't have anywhere near the impact that AFD did. Even though I personally like the Illusions more than AFD, GN'R changed the whole landscape of rock with 1 album, not 3, and only those that were on that album should be going in to the Hall of Fame. No "hired hands" allowed.

Well, again, we'll have to agree to disagree. The UYIs contained some of GNR's most memorable material. I CONSTANTLY hear November Rain, Don't Cry, Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heaven's Door, You Could Be Mine, and Civil War on my local radio stations. 20 years later. That doesn't JUST happen because of the success you had previously. Sure, the UYIs didn't have as big of an impact as Appetite, but they certainly had an impact. Two top ten singles. Four top forty singles. It certainly falls under "critical and commercial success", and that's what we're told warrants inductions. Matt and Dizzy contributed to that, and therefore, should get in as well.

Matt and Dizzy were no more than "hired hands" like everyone since. The CD band has more of a right to be there than Matt and Dizzy, at least they wrote something. All Matt did was come listen to what everyone else wrote and made some idiotic faces while laying down some simple drum beats. All Dizzy did was play piano for Axl when he was busy singing. They have no right to be there in my opinion.

Well, again your opinion. Whether or not you think they're musically qualified doesn't matter. They played and recorded with the band when the band was still pretty popular. The albums they participated in were big critical and commercial successes, again, not on par with Appetite, but still pretty significant. Nothing of that nature happened with the nu band. Not to mention that the band was still (to a smaller degree than appetite, of course) functioning like a regular band. Axl hadn't taken everything over at that point. Members were actually members, not hired hands at that time.

Edited by Bobbo

Well, again your opinion. Whether or not you think they're musically qualified doesn't matter. They played and recorded with the band when the band was still pretty popular. The albums they participated in were big critical and commercial successes, again, not on par with Appetite, but still pretty significant. Not to mention that the band was still (to a smaller degree than appetite, of course) functioning like a regular band. Axl hadn't taken everything over at that point. Members were actually members, not hired hands at that time.

They didn't increase the popularity of the band at all and they were by far the weakest members on the albums that they contributed on. That is fact, not opinion. I don't see why you think they should be rewarded for that.

I don't see how Slash quit and Axl didn't. You're simply going by the name GUNS N ROSES. Axl quit from the other guys just as much as they quit from him the only difference are two and a half words, nothing that goes along with those words either, those simple words are "guns n roses".

If the name had have been split evenly the band would have broken up rather than members quitting. The fact that some of you don't think Slash should get in because he "quit" is amazing and worthy of a mental study by top scientists.

+1

These discussions are getting fucking heated! Good day to be a GNR fan. Just hope were not all disapointed at the end of all this. Those of you saying you don't want a reunion...deep down still want a reunion. To say otherwise is fucking redic and we all know it!

Edited by drtydane

How is this official if he heard it from a source. Your thread title is invalid.

This exact scenario has happened 3 years in row the day before the actual announcement, and it's always been true. Not legitimizing the "official" part, but they're getting inducted for sure.

These discussions are getting fucking heated! Good day to be a GNR fan. Just hope were not all disapointed at the end of all this. Those of you saying you don't want a reunion...deep down still want a reunion. To say otherwise is fucking redic and we all know it!

Wrong. Just because you are hung up on something that hasn't existed for 20 years doesn't mean everybody is. I would prefer if they all showed up to accept and didn't play anything. It really won't bother me if someone decides not to show up though.

How is this official if he heard it from a source. Your thread title is invalid.

This exact scenario has happened 3 years in row the day before the actual announcement, and it's always been true. Not legitimizing the "official" part, but they're getting inducted for sure.

Yeah, Eddie doesn't usually report this kind of thing without it being legit news. Would be shocked if it turns out to be false. In fact, that could be one of the best Rick Rolls ever. Leak some bullshit about GN'R getting in, Eddie reports it, and then the Hall says "NOT!" on Wednesday. :lol:

I don't see how Slash quit and Axl didn't. You're simply going by the name GUNS N ROSES. Axl quit from the other guys just as much as they quit from him the only difference are two and a half words, nothing that goes along with those words either, those simple words are "guns n roses".

If the name had have been split evenly the band would have broken up rather than members quitting. The fact that some of you don't think Slash should get in because he "quit" is amazing and worthy of a mental study by top scientists.

How did Axl quit? He kept going when everyone else left. He never quit Guns N' Roses. He just looked for other dudes to fill in the ranks.

I am not saying not honor Slash for quitting, I am just saying honor those who stuck with the band for more than 10 years. Honor Dizzy, Tommy and Chris as they've been in the band longer than anyone besides Axl. Honor Buckethead and those who recorded Chinese Democracy. If Slash, Duff and Izzy want to include them it would show they have respect for the new band.

This makes no sense. Honor hired guns who have been in a band for over 10 years and had little to do with the only album those 10+ years produced? You're too stuck on the name. Axl owns the name, but the Guns N' Roses that's HoF-worthy is the classic lineup. They're recognizing AfD, Lies and Illusions. Why are people blind to this?

Honestly, none of 'em. The RNRHOF is supposed to celebrate artists that changed music massively (I know it's a joke, but that's its premise), and as fantastic as Chinese Democracy was, it didn't accomplish that. Really, it was 70% AFD, 20% UYIs, and 10% Lies, or thereabouts. So the people that made those albums should be the ones inducted.

I've had a really hard time formulating an opinion on this, and maybe it's because I'm listening to AFD right now in all its badassery, but that's how I see it right now. If everybody in the original band wants to induct more people, be my guest. But it really should just be those people.

My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

I think Axl performing with slash will be a disservice to the current gnr

There is no current GN'R. :shrugs:

where have you been the past 4 years?

GN'R doesn't exist. It officially died in 1991 and arguably earlier than that.

it died for some, but was the start for others

Well, again your opinion. Whether or not you think they're musically qualified doesn't matter. They played and recorded with the band when the band was still pretty popular. The albums they participated in were big critical and commercial successes, again, not on par with Appetite, but still pretty significant. Not to mention that the band was still (to a smaller degree than appetite, of course) functioning like a regular band. Axl hadn't taken everything over at that point. Members were actually members, not hired hands at that time.

They didn't increase the popularity of the band at all and they were by far the weakest members on the albums that they contributed on. That is fact, not opinion. I don't see why you think they should be rewarded for that.

No...that's still your opinion. Some people liked what Dizzy and Matt contributed. It's subjective. The FACTS are the band still had commercial success at that time, not every album is gonna sell like 30 million copies. The music they contributed to is still played on the radio 20 years later, and they were part of the process. The albums combined still sold 35 million copies. I'd say 17 and 18 million individually is still a commercial success. Critics also liked UYI for the most part.

That's why they should be rewarded. Under what we're told about inductions Dizzy and Matt fit that criteria. Just because it didn't sell as crazy as Appetite, doesn't mean those albums aren't somewhat significant. Like it or not, Dizzy and Matt were apart of it, and it's impossible to say "what could've been different" had they not been in the band.