Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

Axl will never share a stage with Slash. Axl has given up way too much to turn back now, and he has defintivily stated that he would never even be in the same room as Slash unless by ambush . And he stated that would not be pretty. This isnt about being adults or whatever else, it is deeply personal for Axl and everybody here who loves him knows in their hearts that Axl just aint gonna do it, under any circumstance. Axl has also stated that the RNRHOF is more for the fans and he doesnt really get it. Steven will be there with bells on for sure. My hope is original line up minus Axl playing two songs, and that is a best case scenario. And any talk of current GNR members is absurd on every level. Some of you people here live in a real fucking fantasy world.

The real question and the most realistic one is who will induct the band. My guess would be Brian May.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any of the new guys should be inducted (though would be cool if a couple of them turned up as special invitees or whatever). That said- I don't think Chinese Democracy has quite the negative connotation ARTISTICALLY that some here seem to think. It under-performed commercially in the US for a variety of reasons- but last I heard it had a meta critic rating of 62 or something (representing mixed to moderately positive reviews)- which is close to a minor miracle considering all the stored up vitrol and hate many critics had saved specifically for this particular album. Also CD has popped up on some best album of 2008 and most underrated album lists, etc. from time to time as well...

Anyway, I agree that CD is NOT the driving force behind Guns' induction and the event should rightfully be almost entirely about 87-93 Guns-. but that doesn't mean CD's garbage and considered an artistic "light weight" or whatever...

Just my .02 cents.

Axl will never share a stage with Slash. Axl has given up way too much to turn back now, and he has defintivily stated that he would never even be in the same room as Slash unless by ambush . And he stated that would not be pretty. This isnt about being adults or whatever else, it is deeply personal for Axl and everybody here who loves him knows in their hearts that Axl just aint gonna do it, under any circumstance. Axl has also stated that the RNRHOF is more for the fans and he doesnt really get it. Steven will be there with bells on for sure. My hope is original line up minus Axl playing two songs, and that is a best case scenario. And any talk of current GNR members is absurd on every level. Some of you people here live in a real fucking fantasy world.

Never say never. And that includes Axl. Meaning, a reunion could happen but the ball is in Axl's court. He is a human being, and he could have a change of heart. And the way things have been going, it seems that there have been a lot of beefs that have been squashed behind closed doors. Think about this, Axl was on the TMS show, and on the following week, Slash was on. I know that the Axl episode was pre-recorded but.......10 years ago, I couldn't imagine Axl wanting to participate in a show that Slash was going to participate in that soon. Slash wouldn't say, "we've been cool" for no reason.

The real question and the most realistic one is who will induct the band. My guess would be Brian May.

Will you people quit posting pretending you really know what goes on inside the man's mind? That you think you can understand Axl with certainty and speak on his behalf is the real fantasy.

If bands get inducted because of an album, Deep Purple would have been inducted for Machine Head by now.

Sex Pistols didn't get inducted because of Nevermind the Bollocks, they got inducted because they are the fucking Sex Pistols. Bands are only eligible if their first album has been out for 25 years.

What has Robert contributed to Metallica in the last 25 years? Nothing. He played bass with them for 5 years before recording for the first time on Death Magnetic. Showed up in promo for St. Anger, that is it. Yet he is inducted. He could quit music and become a fat lazy slob but he will always be in HOF.

Why not induct the guys who not only worked hard on a long delayed album, but was apart of the bands comeback in the 2000's? Atleast let Tommy in. That dude deserves a gold star for proving you can last more than 10 years with Axl. The media kept insisting he was quitting for the last 5 years and he's still rolling along. Let him in.

Like it or not, GnR is known for 4 things

AFD

Axl Rose (temper tantrums, rants, being a dick sometimes and the greatest Hard Rock singer of all time)

The Dude with the top hat who will forever be the good guy

The long delayed Chinese Democracy (15 years in the making, 12 millions dollars, blahblahblah...)

At least have the new guys introduce the old guys, the old guys play Jungle & SCOM et everybody plays Paradise City.

AFD

Axl Rose (temper tantrums, rants, being a dick sometimes and the greatest Hard Rock singer of all time)

The long delayed Chinese Democracy (15 years in the making, 12 millions dollars, blahblahblah...)

At least have the new guys introduce the old guys, the old guys play Jungle & SCOM et everybody plays Paradise City.

The good guy? That's subjective.

Why not induct the guys who not only worked hard on a long delayed album, but was apart of the bands comeback in the 2000's? Atleast let Tommy in. That dude deserves a gold star for proving you can last more than 10 years with Axl. The media kept insisting he was quitting for the last 5 years and he's still rolling along. Let him in.

You can almost bet some of the panel would argue that that 2000's gnr and their work is "not canon" i.e. not part of the actual GNR continuity which ended in the mid 90s. It's a different band.

AFD

The good guy? That's subjective.

I never say that was my opinion.

Just that 95% of the public thinks that way.

I've also seen better performances of slash and myles.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. And there's current members that contributed little to absolutely nothing to THAT album anyways. That's just fact.

Dude, fact is... they won't limit who's getting inducted. They didn't do it with Metallica, why would they do it with GnR? If Axl shows up, my bet is DJ will probably show up too. Buckethead, Finck, Brain, etc... they're past GnR. They probably won't.

How about a fair comparison? GNR vs GNR

haha get wrecked old gnr wins!

I disagree. New Guns does every solo better.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

Edited by Bobbo

Ultimately the RRHOF chose GNR because they made an impact on rock culture in some way. I mean I can think of tons and tons of bands that are solid musically but really haven't done anything to make a cultural impact on a global level. Now I have my own personal opinion on who should or shouldn't get inducted, but ultimately the argument stems from this: should they induct the post-1996 musicians if they were not a part of the impact Guns N' Roses made? The Metallica comparison is really kind of apples and oranges to GNR. Two different bands with different histories and impacts on Rock N' Roll. I totally get arguments from both sides of the argument but ultimately I feel that the AFD lineup up to the Illusions lineup should be the ones inducted. But all in all the RRHOF has never been the institution to make the best decisions regarding the inductees IMO, especially when Rush, Maiden, and Kiss and are on the outside looking in, so I don't take them too seriously to begin with

Edited by WhazUp

Even though he said that a few years ago, doesn't mean he can't or won't change his mind about it. He might not want anyone speaking on his behalf.

Most artists live in a fantasy world. The shit that gets them bent out of shape most people would either laugh off or think was really stupid. It's not like any of them can cure cancer, all they can do is entertain. But entertainers are also on the front lines when a dictator takes over... I mean a real dictator in this case. Artists get executed for exercising the freedom to speak their mind in their music and books. So it can be disposable as well as life and death. Music has a way of breaking barriers down, and that scares the shit out of some leaders.

For all who think the new members will b there for they're contributions on CD, do you also think Navarro and josh k. Will b inducted if rhcp get inducted? I think not. They were both on one album NOT crucial to the bands success. Only difference is nu gnr has been around a long time. But only put out one album. Fruciantes replacements wont b inducted ever and neither will original gnrs replacements.

"I just hope Axl shows up" was what Steven Adler told me when I gave him an early congratulations after one of his shows. He was being sincere, not snarky. I also gave an early congrats to Duff when I met him at a book signing that same weekend. The HOF is a political mess, but the important thing is that GNR got in on the first ballot, just as they deserve to. Congrats to each and every member who played a part in that.

I share in Steven's hope that Axl appears along with the rest of the original members. I don't care if it doesn't lead to a reunion, I would just like to see Axl and the original crew (along with past and present members) get together and share the honor they have earned. Obviously, this would be the perfect platform to launch a reunion. If it happens, awesome. If not, so be it. I just want to see them put any differences aside for one night and be proud of what they've achieved. In the book, Duff made it seem like they never really acknowledged their success when they were together, so this would be a great time for them to take a night out and do just that.

Forgive me if this has already been brought up in the long thread, but I wonder if Izzy will appear. He's not big on the spotlight, but I hope this is enough of a special event that he opts to be part of it.

Pitman belongs unseen. Just like at shows.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='13232077

Forgive me if this has already been brought up in the long thread, but I wonder if Izzy will appear. He's not big on the spotlight, but I hope this is enough of a special event that he opts to be part of it.

If axl shows im sure izzy will show.

Will you people quit posting pretending you really know what goes on inside the man's mind? That you think you can understand Axl with certainty and speak on his behalf is the real fantasy.

Listen douche bag, I aint pretending to be in Axl's fucking mind. You want my favorite Axl quote? The one where he stated unequivocally that he would never even be in the same room as Slash or the cancer statement too. Take your pick, but it was Axl's words not my imagination. Axl could have made hundred of millions from a reunion tour, and decided no fucking way. He aint gonna do it for an organization that he has stated he doesnt really even understand. Now wipe that stupid fucking smile off your face.

How about a fair comparison? GNR vs GNR

haha get wrecked old gnr wins!

I disagree. New Guns does every solo better.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

The new band has contributed concerts that I would pay money to see. I'm not arguing about the relevance of the old band. The only ones that deserve to be inducted are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No Sorum, Dizzy, or anyone else. They are nominated on the basis of this being the anniversary of AFD, Not the Illusions.

That doesn't change the fact that I haven't liked a thing Slash has done since he left the band. I don't care about sales. If I did, Justin Beiber would be a better band than VR and GN'R combined. I can't believe that people use sales as some kind of argument about the quality of something.