Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

If bands get inducted because of an album, Deep Purple would have been inducted for Machine Head by now.

Sex Pistols didn't get inducted because of Nevermind the Bollocks, they got inducted because they are the fucking Sex Pistols. Bands are only eligible if their first album has been out for 25 years.

IMHO Deep Purple is not in the RnR HOF because it is a joke as is the nomination process. It has little to do with what contributions a band or musician made to Rock but rather is based on personal likes and dislikes of Jan Wenner and he crony's.

Deep Purple had two excellent albums before Machine Head, In Rock and Fireball, but they are known for Machine Head and the songs Highway Star and Smoke on the Water. If they were to get in the MkII band was the one who broke the band so IMHO they should be the band inducted although you could make and agument the MkIII band memers, Coverdale and Hughes deserve some recognition...........

And your kidding about the Sex Pistols right? Bollocks is their only real studio album and without that album they would not even have been nominated.

Your right it is the bands not the albums which get nominated but it is key albums like AFD, Machine Head, and Bollocks which caused those bands to be recognized so those versions of the bands should be the ones inducted IMHO.....

So you mentioned Deep Purple..which is up to band version Mk VIII............. so should they all be inducted? Joe Satriani toured with them in 94 after Blackmore quit for the last time, but never recorded with the band, so should he be inducted as a member of Deep Purple? Should Tracii Guns be inducted with Guns N Roses? where do you draw the line?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the line should be drawn with who recorded with the bands.

Black Sabbath didn't even include Ian Gillian or Dio which I think is wrong. Dio help bring the band back to its heyday.

I just think if Axl cares about HOF then he would want to include those who were on Chinese Democracy.

Bollocks was the Sex Pistols only album and one album made them eligible but their influence was beyond the album.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Lately he has made jokes about Slash and he mentioned his name in the TMS interview. I think this is a huge step forward. He does no longer seem repulsed by the thought of Slash's existence.

And the fact is that he didn't seem to worked up over the hall of fame thing either. He seemed quite calm about it even though he KNOWS that Slash would be there.

Hey cool if everybody can be cool for one night for this thing. I hope they all show up and perform a song or two just because they will prove everyone wrong and have a good time doing so.

I do not want anything beyond that. Let's wait and see though what happens tomorrow as Eddie was just relaying what he heard (which I am sure is real)

Great on the band for gettign in first round, I am sure they will all be honored to accept this achievment.

How about a fair comparison? GNR vs GNR

haha get wrecked old gnr wins!

I disagree. New Guns does every solo better.

I've also seen better performances of slash and myles.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

The new band has contributed concerts that I would pay money to see. I'm not arguing about the relevance of the old band. The only ones that deserve to be inducted are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No Sorum, Dizzy, or anyone else. They are nominated on the basis of this being the anniversary of AFD, Not the Illusions.

That doesn't change the fact that I haven't liked a thing Slash has done since he left the band. I don't care about sales. If I did, Justin Beiber would be a better band than VR and GN'R combined. I can't believe that people use sales as some kind of argument about the quality of something.

I didn't mention sales. I just said VR had success with their first album, people dug it. But if you didn't like it, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

As for how and what they're being inducted for, I think the anniversary of Appetite is just relevant for when they can be inducted, not really what for. I think someone on here mentioned that they induct members that were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success, and if that's the case, Matt and Dizzy should certainly be in there, as the UYI albums and tours were certainly a big time for GNR, and they contributed to that.

Anyone claiming they would be wetting themselves seeing Axl on stage with Slash/Izzy/Duff and Adler doing a song is kidding themselves.

Axl can't do it though, because it wouldn't be awesome, and produce enough energy to light a small city. It would seem like home again seeing Slash/Izzy/Duff on stage with him again, and it would sound and look like GNR always should have.

Axl can't take that step because a one off doesn't work when the world is reminded again visually of what GNR really is and sounds like after all this time.

How do you play a few songs and tear the house down with Izzy/Slash/Duff as GNR at the Rock hall induction and then go back to the real world trying to tell people DJ Ashba is GNR? It would be ridiculous, which is why it can't happen.

People seriously underestimate how awesome seeing them on the same stage would be, and to find out they still sound amazing together......it would change everything whether it is what they wanted or not. At least now it is so far removed it seems like another life time ago.

If you bring that monster back from the dead, you can't just turn it off again when there will be a public clamoring for more of the genuine article.

Edited by Naupis

If......and only IF the original band gets together and performs on this night...............I would bet the farm that there will be a full blown reunion to follow within a year after the ceremony.

The media would whip up a frenzy! Think of the money to be made, if Axl turns up he'll disappear due to the pressure and media attention for many years.

Will you people quit posting pretending you really know what goes on inside the man's mind? That you think you can understand Axl with certainty and speak on his behalf is the real fantasy.

Listen douche bag, I aint pretending to be in Axl's fucking mind. You want my favorite Axl quote? The one where he stated unequivocally that he would never even be in the same room as Slash or the cancer statement too. Take your pick, but it was Axl's words not my imagination. Axl could have made hundred of millions from a reunion tour, and decided no fucking way. He aint gonna do it for an organization that he has stated he doesnt really even understand. Now wipe that stupid fucking smile off your face.

U mad bro? The situation has changed a little bit over the years, and the meanings behind Axl's words have been relentlessly misinterpreted since One in a Million and before. What exactly does he mean when he says cancer, what's the meaning he's thinking about inside? The way the world interpreted it was basically one step short of n****r, that harsh, that much hatred behind it. Was he really feeling that? Or did he just feel that Slash had to be removed in order to save Guns N' Roses, and tried to use cancer as a metaphor that ended up backfiring on him?

Anyone claiming they would be wetting themselves seeing Axl on stage with Slash/Izzy/Duff and Adler doing a song is kidding themselves.

Axl can't do it though, because it wouldn't be awesome, and produce enough energy to light a small city. It would seem like home again seeing Slash/Izzy/Duff on stage with him again, and it would sound and look like GNR always should have.

Axl can't take that step because a one off doesn't work when the world is reminded again visually of what GNR really is and sounds like after all this time.

How do you play a few songs and tear the house down with Izzy/Slash/Duff as GNR at the Rock hall induction and then go back to the real world trying to tell people DJ Ashba is GNR? It would be ridiculous, which is why it can't happen.

People seriously underestimate how awesome seeing them on the same stage would be, and to find out they still sound amazing together......it would change everything whether it is what they wanted or not. At least now it is so far removed it seems like another life time ago.

If you bring that monster back from the dead, you can't just turn it off again when there will be a public clamoring for more of the genuine article.

Or you might get a Rock in Rio IV, Old Guns edition, propped up by nostalgia. Let's not call it the Rapture yet.

Honestly, I've never seen fans bash the members who ACTUALLY contributed to the material that fans love so much.

I think the current nu lineup should be present in the audience at best, but they certainly shouldn't be inducted.

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. That's just fact.

Slash hasn't contributed anything in 20 years and everything he's done since is pathetic. It's quite easy to bash him. If he had shown any of the ability that he had in GN'R since then, I would still be a fan. It's sad to see what he's become though.

Each to their own then. You can't really deny the success he had in 04 with VRs first album though.

As for "not contributing anything for the past 20 years", neither has the current band in terms of significance. This isn't about personal feelings, who's a bigger douche, who quit what, who screwed over who, etc. This is about the significant material Slash, Duff, Axl, Steven, Matt, Izzy, and Dizzy contributed. Them and only them deserve to be awared for it. Whether or not they're in the band doesn't at all change what Slash and the others contributed and how beloved it is with fans and the media.

The new band has contributed concerts that I would pay money to see. I'm not arguing about the relevance of the old band. The only ones that deserve to be inducted are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven. No Sorum, Dizzy, or anyone else. They are nominated on the basis of this being the anniversary of AFD, Not the Illusions.

That doesn't change the fact that I haven't liked a thing Slash has done since he left the band. I don't care about sales. If I did, Justin Beiber would be a better band than VR and GN'R combined. I can't believe that people use sales as some kind of argument about the quality of something.

I didn't mention sales. I just said VR had success with their first album, people dug it. But if you didn't like it, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

As for how and what they're being inducted for, I think the anniversary of Appetite is just relevant for when they can be inducted, not really what for. I think someone on here mentioned that they induct members that were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success, and if that's the case, Matt and Dizzy should certainly be in there, as the UYI albums and tours were certainly a big time for GNR, and they contributed to that.

I disagree. The Illusions were great albums, but they didn't have anywhere near the impact that AFD did. Even though I personally like the Illusions more than AFD, GN'R changed the whole landscape of rock with 1 album, not 3, and only those that were on that album should be going in to the Hall of Fame. No "hired hands" allowed.

It's just one off thing for a very special occasion. It wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Sure, would I want them all to reunite with their chemistry intact, and for reasons NOT based on money on a regular basis? Fuck yeah. But I know it's too far fetched, especially at this point.

I'm fully willing for Axl to do whatever he plans on doing with nu guns after this, if it means we can get one fuggin night with people who made the magic in the first place. It is what it is. It'd just be a nice special treat for the fans, and this is the one legit opportunity for us to get it.

Edited by Bobbo

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy should be the only ones getting inducted, as they contributed to what GNR will forever be known for. They're rock n roll historians, and made significant pieces of art. Whether or not you consider Chinese Democracy good or bad is all subjective. But it wasn't significant, and it's not acknowledged as a big part of rock n roll history. And there's current members that contributed little to absolutely nothing to THAT album anyways. That's just fact.

Dude, fact is... they won't limit who's getting inducted. They didn't do it with Metallica, why would they do it with GnR? If Axl shows up, my bet is DJ will probably show up too. Buckethead, Finck, Brain, etc... they're past GnR. They probably won't.

DJ will probably go cause he's excited to meet Slash and Izzy and Duff, not because he'll be inducted with them.

If......and only IF the original band gets together and performs on this night...............I would bet the farm that there will be a full blown reunion to follow within a year after the ceremony.

The media would whip up a frenzy! Think of the money to be made, if Axl turns up he'll disappear due to the pressure and media attention for many years.

Hmmm....I was think of reasons beyond media hype, money, and crap. I was thinking that these are 5 ARTISTS that will find inspiration and spark from each other once again.

Hmmm....I was think of reasons beyond media hype, money, and crap. I was thinking that these are 5 ARTISTS that will find inspiration and spark from each other once again.

No...they won't. That's the reason the band broke up, they stopped working together musically. And Axl has got something with the new band, he's not gonna dump them out on their asses no matter how great we think it is to hear Welcome to the Jungle from the classic lineup. He doesn't give a shit about money or hype, and while he like to please fans, he's not going to have his life dictated by our desires.

I disagree. The Illusions were great albums, but they didn't have anywhere near the impact that AFD did. Even though I personally like the Illusions more than AFD, GN'R changed the whole landscape of rock with 1 album, not 3, and only those that were on that album should be going in to the Hall of Fame. No "hired hands" allowed.

Well, again, we'll have to agree to disagree. The UYIs contained some of GNR's most memorable material. I CONSTANTLY hear November Rain, Don't Cry, Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heaven's Door, You Could Be Mine, and Civil War on my local radio stations. 20 years later. That doesn't JUST happen because of the success you had previously. Sure, the UYIs didn't have as big of an impact as Appetite, but they certainly had an impact. Two top ten singles. Four top forty singles. It certainly falls under "critical and commercial success", and that's what we're told warrants inductions. Matt and Dizzy contributed to that, and therefore, should get in as well.

Use Your Illusions have a lot of iconic songs but Appetite is the iconic album. November Rain is a hit, but the skull cross is the universal symbol for GnR. People look at Appetite sitting on a shelf, they see you wearing the skull t-shirt, they know it's Guns N' Roses. They see Illusions, probably not so much. Look at the pretty covers, then say "Oh, its GnR" when they read the name, then say "Oh November Rain is on this one" when they read the back of the case.

Edited by Flayer

No...they won't. That's the reason the band broke up, they stopped working together musically. And Axl has got something with the new band, he's not gonna dump them out on their asses no matter how great we think it is to hear Welcome to the Jungle from the classic lineup. He doesn't give a shit about money or hype, and while he like to please fans, he's not going to have his life dictated by our desires.

Those guys will not be "on their asses". They all have their own gigs or will have NO problem finding gigs. I'm pretty sure that every single one of those guys have it in the back of their mind that there's always a chance of a reunion and that one day, they will be let go because of it.