Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

As far as the Hall of Fame goes and who should be inducted, the new band is to GNR what Gary Cherone was to Van Halen.

That's the kind of asinine and moronic comparison only a new band hater would make.

Ali

That is a stupid comparison. You are exactly right Ali.

Outside this message board though, that's generally how they are seen.

Sure is. None of the people around me knew any of the CD songs when I saw them last month.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird the show I went to people sang along to Chi dem, SOD, Better.

Same in Hamilton, everyone was singing the new stuff :)

It's really refreshing to see this happening B) I expected it in Hamilton after the show last year, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see people knew all the words to the Chinese songs in Wilkes-Barre too...place turned upside down for Sorry especially.

In fact, the only song I felt like people really don't know that much is Riff Raff. In Hamilton, everyone around us was dead when they played it, and the same in Wilkes-Barre other than Black Sabbath who got into it as well. I was stoked to see Guns doing a song off my favorite (And a criminally overlooked) AC/DC album! :D

It's not putting down the current lineup to say they do not have 0.0001% to do with GNR being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Some of you guys act like they are retards, that DJ, Fortus, Bumble, Frank etc. wouldn't feel like clowns taking the stage for this particular event with the original lineup. I'm sure they are intelligent and self-aware enough to know the deal here because it couldn't be more cut and dry to anyone with a lick of common sense.

The new lineup should be 100% focused on carving out some type of identity for themselves and they're making some strides with the latest tour. But as for any of them besides Axl being deserving for this HOF induction, that's just stupid. Irregardless of whether you've taken Axl's or Slash's side in the split, show some respect for the guys that EARNED this and made it happen. It is special.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Damn Smooth, how many people would have called it the Duff and Izzy show? Almost nobody. GnR was always the Axl and Slash show, they were the faces everyone knew. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not a ranking of the members. Matt and Dizzy were just as much members of GnR, just as Izzy and Duff were.

Izzy and Duff were there for the thing that made GN'R successful, They both actually wrote songs for the band too. What did Matt and Dizzy do?

Look man, I'm not a huge fan of Sorum OR Dizzy. But there are people, even on this board that prefers Matt and likes what Dizzy brought to the table. The bottom line is they contributed to significant GNR hits. They were a part of it.

You can't look at November Rains chart position at 3 now and say "I know for a hundred percent fact that it would've hit number 1 had Adler been in the band." It is IMPOSSIBLE to know how their success would've been altered otherwise. And no matter how probable your opinion may be (and the funny thing is I actually agree with some of your points), it's still an opinion, not fact.

The fact of the matter is, November Rain, Don't Cry, LALD, Heavens Door, and You Could Be Mine were all significant hits that are still getting radio play and love 20 years later, with Sorum's and Dizzy's contributions. And under what we know to be the rules of induction, they deserve to get in for it.

This might sound like opinion to you, but I was there, this is very much fact. The Illusions were going to sell no matter what, people were dying for the release of a new GN'R album. They were bigger than anything at that time. Dizzy and Matt could have been anybody and it wouldn't have mattered.

I will compromise with you. I'll give you Dizzy to go in just because of time spent. Matt stays out. Fair?

Damn Smooth, how many people would have called it the Duff and Izzy show? Almost nobody. GnR was always the Axl and Slash show, they were the faces everyone knew. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not a ranking of the members. Matt and Dizzy were just as much members of GnR, just as Izzy and Duff were.

Izzy and Duff were there for the thing that made GN'R successful, They both actually wrote songs for the band too. What did Matt and Dizzy do?

Look man, I'm not a huge fan of Sorum OR Dizzy. But there are people, even on this board that prefers Matt and likes what Dizzy brought to the table. The bottom line is they contributed to significant GNR hits. They were a part of it.

You can't look at November Rains chart position at 3 now and say "I know for a hundred percent fact that it would've hit number 1 had Adler been in the band." It is IMPOSSIBLE to know how their success would've been altered otherwise. And no matter how probable your opinion may be (and the funny thing is I actually agree with some of your points), it's still an opinion, not fact.

The fact of the matter is, November Rain, Don't Cry, LALD, Heavens Door, and You Could Be Mine were all significant hits that are still getting radio play and love 20 years later, with Sorum's and Dizzy's contributions. And under what we know to be the rules of induction, they deserve to get in for it.

This might sound like opinion to you, but I was there, this is very much fact. The Illusions were going to sell no matter what, people were dying for the release of a new GN'R album. They were bigger than anything at that time. Dizzy and Matt could have been anybody and it wouldn't have mattered.

I will compromise with you. I'll give you Dizzy to go in just because of time spent. Matt stays out. Fair?

They might have had a great jump start because of Appetite, but they ended up having a significance of their own right. Like I said, radio stations wouldn't still be playing those songs two decades later had they just fallen off Appetite's back end of success. And again, Dizzy AND Sorum were apart of some of the important pieces, whether you liked what they brought to the table or not. It doesn't change the fact.

So again, I guess we're just better off to just agree to disagree at this point.

Edited by Bobbo

They might have had a great jump start because of Appetite, but they ended up having a significance of their own right. Like I said, radio stations wouldn't still be playing those songs two decades later had they just fallen off Appetite's back end of success. And again, Dizzy AND Sorum were apart of some of the important pieces, whether you liked what they brought to the table or not. It doesn't change the fact.

The fact is Matt and Dizzy were completely irrelevant. Neither one of them contributed any writing to the band. They made no decisions either, the songs were there without them. I don't see how you don't understand this.

I tried to compromise, but fuck it, the offer is off the table. Neither one of them goes in. Neither one deserves to go in either.

It's not putting down the current lineup to say they do not have 0.0001% to do with GNR being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Some of you guys act like they are retards, that DJ, Fortus, Bumble, Frank etc. wouldn't feel like clowns taking the stage for this particular event with the original lineup. I'm sure they are intelligent and self-aware enough to know the deal here because it couldn't be more cut and dry to anyone with a lick of common sense.

The new lineup should be 100% focused on carving out some type of identity for themselves and they're making some strides with the latest tour. But as for any of them besides Axl being deserving for this HOF induction, that's just stupid. Irregardless of whether you've taken Axl's or Slash's side in the split, show some respect for the guys that EARNED this and made it happen. It is special.

Bravo! Exactly.

The fact is Matt and Dizzy were completely irrelevant. Neither one of them contributed any writing to the band. They made no decisions either, the songs were there without them. I don't see how you don't understand this.

I tried to compromise, but fuck it, the offer is off the table. Neither one of them goes in. Neither one deserves to go in either.

But they brought their pieces to the table. And some of those pieces ended up being on hits when they were in the band. Hits=success. Critics liked it. Under that, they should be inducted. Dizzy added some of his keyboard parts, Matt with the drum roll to You Could Be Mine, where are you getting that they didn't write anything? Maybe shit you don't find significant, and again, that's cool, you're entitled to an opinion. But they contributed to the important stuff. Their playing is mostly stuff they wrote. Their contributions. Therefore, they're a part of it. That's fact. I don't get why you don't get that.

We have differing views on this and that's just that.

Edited by Bobbo

But they brought their pieces to the table. And some of those pieces ended up being on hits when they were in the band. Hits=success. Critics liked it. Under that, they should be inducted. Dizzy added some of his keyboard parts, Matt with the drum roll to You Could Be Mine, where are you getting that they didn't write anything? Maybe shit you don't find significant, and again, that's cool, you're entitled to an opinion. But they contributed to the important stuff. Their playing is mostly stuff they wrote. Their contributions. Therefore, they're a part of it. That's fact. I don't get why you don't get that.

These people deserve to go in too then. They contributed to the Illusions.

Johann Langlie – drums, keyboard and sound effects on track 14

The Waters – backing vocals on track 4

Howard Teman – piano on track 10

Shannon Hoon – backing vocals on track 13

Shannon Hoon – backing vocals on tracks 3, 10 and 11; back up vocals on track 4 and 6

Johann Langlie – programming on tracks 3, 10 and 12; sound effects on track 16

Michael Monroe – harmonica and saxophone on track 7

Reba Shaw – backing vocals on track 10

Stuart Bailey – backing vocals on track 10

Jon Thautwein – horn on track 3

Matthew McKagan – horn on track 3

Rachel West – horn on track 3

Robert Clark – horn on track 3

Tim Doyle – tambourine on track 6

Alice Cooper – lead vocals on track 11

West Arkeen – acoustic guitar on track 11

Bruce Foster – sound effects on track 16

Fully agree. AFD lineup or bust. Adler, believe it or not, provided a great groove that helped make the GN'R sound even more unique than it already was. When he was replaced by Sorum, they lost a bit of the magic. I would say the other 4 were more important to the sound, but he certainly added to it in his own right.

Shannon Hoon – backing vocals on tracks 3, 10 and 11; back up vocals on track 4 and 6

You're still missing the point. Matt and Dizzy were official members. Key thing there. And, yet again, according to what we were told on here members who were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success gets in.

The new guys should induct the old band. The new guys should be recognised in some way regardless of some peoples opinions.

But why? Look, I've seen this band more than almost any either person other than Jarmo since 2002. I'm a huge fan of the current band and will always support what Axl and whomever he deems fit to play with him under the moniker of GNR. But why should the new band be recognized in any way? Ask yourself, if GNR had disbanded and Axl moved onto something else other than Guns, would GNR still be inducted? Absolutely. The fact that the band has kept going and released one album in the last 18 years has no bearing on whether GNR is inducted in the HOF. It's not a condamnation of the current lineup or speaks to their own ability. But common sense dictates that those in the HOF belong there because of their legendary work and contribution. GNR's reason for being inducted has nothing to do with the contribution of the new band members so why should they be recognized. Where do you draw the line? Should Paul Tobias be included? How about Buckethead? Fink? Anyone loosely associated with GNR at one point or another? My vote is for the members who were around and responsible for the four albums (AFD, Lies, UYI1&2) that put them in the hall: Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven and Matt since his drumming was necessary for the Illusion albums and tours.

Bravo! Exactly.

This post is exactly correct. If the current GNR wants to be considered a legitimate band, tours like they're on go along way. How could anyone accept the notion of DJ standing up during the awards ceremony considering he's not on any GNR album and has played maybe 20-30 shows so far.

Bottom line, as great as Chinese Democracy is, it has no bearing on why GNR is getting inducted.

Some times I wonder why I even bother coming to GNR forums anymore when I'm compelled to contribute to threads like this. How this is even a discussion is ridiculous. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Just curious, anyone here who thinks the current band should be included/mentioned in the induction ceremony also a fan of GNR back in the late 80s or early 90s? I'm thinking that those who came to GNR late are more likely to believe the current roster should get some recognition.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

Axl does not tour under the name nugunsnroses he does not record under nuguns either.His band is guns and roses period.He carefully selects replacements to form this vision into reality.The band today is what he wants it to be.The general public has many ideas on what the band was and has difficulty seeing it as plainly as Gunsnroses and will continue to untill they record and release material that will cement them as a band, This will probly take more than one release.In my opinion Axl will be at the induction and will STAND on stage with former members to accept the award.Like it has been said already they are all older and been around the block more than once.But when it comes to preforming the current lineup will play.I believe they will all plug thier new bands just like Axl wants to plug his.If he lets one or more past members play and not them all, he would be fingered as the "bad guy" so why even go there.Tell a story shake some hands put on a smile and look to the future.Congrats to them all they all belong!

You're still missing the point. Matt and Dizzy were official members. Key thing there. And, yet again, according to what we were told on here members who were apart of the band at the time of critical and commercial success gets in.

I'm not missing any point. I just don't agree that you have one. The success would have been there no matter who played drums. They could have done these songs with no drums and no keyboards and the Illusions would have been successful. Everybody was waiting for a new album at that time. CDs actually sold back then, there were no MP3s. Just because they played on something does not mean that they had an effect on its success.

I'm not missing any point. I just don't agree that you have one. The success would have been there no matter who played drums. They could have done these songs with no drums and no keyboards and the Illusions would have been successful. Everybody was waiting for a new album at that time. CDs actually sold back then, there were no MP3s. Just because they played on something does not mean that they had an effect on its success.

Ermm...maybe. But Matt was that somebody on the drums, and Dizzy was that other somebody on the keyboards. I agree that some of the anticipation was due to Appetite, but it wouldn't make sense that the albums weren't successes in their own right if the songs are still constantly played on the radio decades later. Had it just been the flavor of the week, we wouldn't still be hearing those songs in rotation. It doesn't matter if their contributions were liked by you or not. The point is, and the only point that matters for them to eligible is that their contributions were on those songs. Some of those songs were hits, and they were official members at that point. Doesn't matter if you consider them to be good or not, their contributions were part of the hits. Therefore, they deserve to get in. It's that simple.

Edited by Bobbo

Is it even a question who should be inducted? It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that anyone from the new band should have anything to do with the night at all. I like the new band but let's call it how it is. The new band is a bunch of professional musicians who are filling a spot, that numerous professional musicians have filled before them. Nothing they have done (or could do) would change the GNR legacy. They are just there to tour and take orders. They are irrelevant in the broad spectrum of things. Of course GNR have an interesting bunch of fans who cling to whoever comes into the band and whoever comes in will "always be better then the old band". That is fine, but it isn't reality. Reality is that the new band is completely irrelevant in the music industry. Rio only strengthened that. They may play the songs well, in fact there are a lot of cover bands that do, but at the end of the day they will never be the GNR that people care about. Like I said, I like the new band, but I'm stating facts.

The inductees should be:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Izzy

Steven

Matt

You aren't stating facts at all. Just because u believe strongly in something doesn't make it a fact. You are stating your opinion.

Some of it I actually agree with, but some of your post is ridiculous.

Feel free to state your opinion, but your post clearly was not "fact."

Ermm...maybe. But Matt was that somebody on the drums, and Dizzy was that other somebody on the keyboards. I agree that some of the anticipation was due to Appetite, but it wouldn't make sense that the albums weren't successes in their own right if the songs are still constantly played on the radio decades later. Had it just been the flavor of the week, we wouldn't still be hearing those songs in rotation. It doesn't matter if their contributions were liked by you or not. The point is, and the only point that matters for them to eligible is that their contributions were on those songs. Some of those songs were hits, and they were official members at that point. Doesn't matter if you consider them to be good or not, their contributions were part of the hits. Therefore, they deserve to get in. It's that simple.

All of the anticipation was due to Appetite and Lies. Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet and nothing Matt or Dizzy did would have changed that. I don't think you understand how big GN'R actually was. If they had done it with no drums and keyboards, it would have started a trend of bands not using drums and keyboards. There aren't many bands that can claim to have reached the level that they did. I know that it was Matt and Dizzy, but Matt and Dizzy were just lucky to be along for the ride.

All of the anticipation was due to Appetite and Lies. Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet and nothing Matt or Dizzy did would have changed that. I don't think you understand how big GN'R actually was. If they had done it with no drums and keyboards, it would have started a trend of bands not using drums and keyboards. There aren't many bands that can claim to have reached the level that they did. I know that it was Matt and Dizzy, but Matt and Dizzy were just lucky to be along for the ride.

I'm not underestimating anything. But the Illusions were more than just a fad and and the bastard child of a trend, for whatever reason you wanna think of. Had they been real stinkers, and only sold because of the success of the previous records, we wouldn't continually hear those songs all the time on the radio after the fact. It would just be buried.

Maybe Matt and Dizzy were just lucky, as I don't particularly care for Dizzy at all. But the point remains they played on songs that were hits, and again, according to what was said, that makes them eligible. Fair is fair.

Edited by Bobbo

Is it even a question who should be inducted? It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that anyone from the new band should have anything to do with the night at all. I like the new band but let's call it how it is. The new band is a bunch of professional musicians who are filling a spot, that numerous professional musicians have filled before them. Nothing they have done (or could do) would change the GNR legacy. They are just there to tour and take orders. They are irrelevant in the broad spectrum of things. Of course GNR have an interesting bunch of fans who cling to whoever comes into the band and whoever comes in will "always be better then the old band". That is fine, but it isn't reality. Reality is that the new band is completely irrelevant in the music industry. Rio only strengthened that. They may play the songs well, in fact there are a lot of cover bands that do, but at the end of the day they will never be the GNR that people care about. Like I said, I like the new band, but I'm stating facts.

The inductees should be:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Izzy

Steven

Matt

Matt being inducted conflicts with everything you just said.

Dizzy never replaced anyone. Neither did Chris.