Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another twitter from Trunk:

Kiss, Purple, Rush, Priest, Maiden, Dio, Def Lep, Journey, Mötley & tons more eligible for years & ignored, but they put Guns 1st time? Wow!

LOL, i'm sorry but GNR was a WAAAAAAAAAY bigger band than all of those combined. GNR ruled the fucking world for a few years there.

No, Nambis, GNR it's not bigger than The Cure, in any sense.

The career of The Cure's much more consistent, more albums, great songs, historical shows, clips, not to mention that long before Axl have been drinking his first beer, the band was already a worldwide success. No offense ok? It's just the real thing.

Both are super bands.

LOL, the cure? i didn't say anything about the cure.

Rush definately deserved to get in. They have been around for 40 years, are currently working on their 20th studio album, and have influenced many, many rock n' roll artists.

Oh I definitely agree. I just think Trunk is silly for being surprised that GNR was elected in a shorter time than bands like Dio, Def Leppard, Journey, Motley Crue, etc.

Kiss, Purple, Rush, Priest, Maiden, Dio, Def Lep, Journey, Mötley & tons more eligible for years & ignored, but they put Guns 1st time? Wow!

LOL, i'm sorry but GNR was a WAAAAAAAAAY bigger band than all of those combined. GNR ruled the fucking world for a few years there.

Seriously? Most of those bands have had constant international success for 30, if not 40 years. Guns have only been around for 25, and a lot of that was down-time. There's no doubt in my mind that Rush are the most important band that has yet to be inducted (Including Guns, they're not inducted yet...). Deep Purple was massively influential, and they really were pushing the boundaries in the early '70's. And I'll leave you with a little statistic about Maiden: In 2008, they played in 38 countries to 4 million people, while this year they played in 53 countries to 5 million people...how many bands can claim those kind of figures consistently more than 30 years into their career?

No, Nambis, GNR it's not bigger than The Cure, in any sense.

The career of The Cure's much more consistent, more albums, great songs, historical shows, clips, not to mention that long before Axl have been drinking his first beer, the band was already a worldwide success. No offense ok? It's just the real thing.

Both are super bands.

None of that stuff you wrote changes the fact that GN'R is a bigger band than the Cure. The record sales prove it.

I hope Axl and Slash hug it out on stage and then the original band does a set together. Why? I think it would be a cool social experiment. I've always wondered what the GNR fanbase, pro old and pro nu, would do if it happened. Would the nu fans all of a sudden praise Slash? Would they bash Axl for selling out? Would the old fans all of a sudden praise Axl? Would they bash Slash for selling out?

It would be extremely interesting because for the first time since 1990, the entire GNR universe would be in complete harmony. I'm not sure GNR's fanbase could handle that lol.

Nintari, posting shit since 13-December 09.

Seriously? Most of those bands have had constant international success for 30, if not 40 years. Guns have only been around for 25, and a lot of that was down-time. There's no doubt in my mind that Rush are the most important band that has yet to be inducted (Including Guns, they're not inducted yet...). Deep Purple was massively influential, and they really were pushing the boundaries in the early '70's. And I'll leave you with a little statistic about Maiden: In 2008, they played in 38 countries to 4 million people, while this year they played in 53 countries to 5 million people...how many bands can claim those kind of figures consistently more than 30 years into their career?

GNR were big for a brief flash in the late 80s early 90s before Nirvana took over.

Everybody has learned Deep Purple riffs since they can hold a guitar. Deep Purple outsold Led frickin' Zeppelin for a time in the early 70s.

Maiden have held up the heavy rock flag since they started putting out albums and have not once faltered. Millions of albums sold, millions of people attending their stadium shows today. As far as hard rock goes, if Metallica is in, Maiden needs to be in, and if Sabbath is in, then Deep Purple needs to be in as well.

im very happy for guns n roses and they definitely are worthy of induction, but i can also see eddie trunks point its not a slight on gnr its a slight to the rock n roll HOF that has kept so many influencial bands out of the HOF. ronnie james dio whos career spanned 5 decades who influenced metallica,anthrax,slayer,megadeth,and dozens of other bands didnt even get nominated the year he passed. yet ll cool j, donna sommers get nominated its ridiculous

thin lizzy,deep purple,iron maiden,rush..................... the list goes on and on thats why it is so awesome when a band like guns gets inducted who deserves it.

Oh god, so much stupidity from both sides' haters in this thread...why is it every time the board has just impressed or inspired me with something intelligent or cool some dipshit has to start up these fucking shitstorms of stupidity again? When you do this you're assholes. You're not slasholes, you're not axholes, you're not any cutesy fucking name, you're just assholes.

ronnie james dio whos career spanned 5 decades who influenced metallica,anthrax,slayer,megadeth,and dozens of other bands didnt even get nominated the year he passed. yet ll cool j, donna sommers get nominated its ridiculous

This makes me very sad :(

I was never a huge fan but I respect him for everything...RIP Dio

The RNR Hall of Fame is banking on an original line-up appearance. The RnR HOF is well aware of their reputation and how people have been slamming them over the past years as some of you have been doing in this very thread. Think of what it will do for the HOF if they were to make HISTORY and have the original members of GnR reunited at their induction ceremony.

ronnie james dio whos career spanned 5 decades who influenced metallica,anthrax,slayer,megadeth,and dozens of other bands didnt even get nominated the year he passed. yet ll cool j, donna sommers get nominated its ridiculous

This makes me very sad :(

I was never a huge fan but I respect him for everything...RIP Dio

yeah its a joke but like i said thats why someone like alice cooper and gnr getting in makes me happy but those who dont still piss me off i think thats what eddie trunk was getting at

GNR were big for a brief flash in the late 80s early 90s before Nirvana took over.

The UYI Tour went on successfully even after Nirvana hit it big. Hell, November Rain was the longest song ever to reach such a high chart position (#3) on the Hot 100 and this was 6-7 months after Nevermind made it to #1 on the Billboard 200. Surprisingly enough, NR was actually a bigger hit on the Hot 100 chart than Teen Spirit.

Edited by GNRfan2008

I'm not going to throw my hat into the "Who really quit GNR?" debate. But I will say that the Hall of Fame is meant to honor the original band. Guns isn't getting inducted because of Chinese Democracy, they're getting inducted because of Appetite, UYI and Lies. It doesn't matter who people want to believe actually quit the band, the fact of the matter is that the original band is responsible for creating the music that put GNR in the discussion for the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, not the current lineup.

Given the fucked up lineup situation they should bring everyone who ever played under the banner.

Axl, Slash and Duff are just the most famous members but where would they be without the others?

No Gilby no UYI tour as we know it.

No Robin no Chinese Democracy as we know it.

Thing is everyone is replaceable and on the other hand no one is ever replaceable, but the "as we know it" factor is due to the very people who were there at the time.

If they go there, they should do it with dignity and invite everyone to represent Guns N' Roses as what it is and always was: a work in progress.

Everyone should go. From Axl to Slash to Paul Tobias and Josh Freese. Just make it fair for everyone. I mean, Robert Trujillo went to Metallica's induction... Sammy Hagar went to the Van Halen induction.

I read Trunk's comment as more of a positive thing, kind of like: "Wow - all these bands couldn't get in but Guns did the first time, all the power to them!"

I could be totally wrong though. I see it as more of a "Well done to you guys" kind of thing other than a shock that they beat out those other bands who have yet to get in.

The RNR Hall of Fame is banking on an original line-up appearance. The RnR HOF is well aware of their reputation and how people have been slamming them over the past years as some of you have been doing in this very thread. Think of what it will do for the HOF if they were to make HISTORY and have the original members of GnR reunited at their induction ceremony.

the HOF is in a win/win situation they could be trying to get a reunion maybe just for one night to make a splsh, or its about the news they are going to make with the whos going to show up, whos not, is the current gnr going to play and the original lineup not, they get big publicity either way, just like when van halen got it in all the time i put on the radio they were talking about this.

Guns isn't getting inducted because of Chinese Democracy, they're getting inducted because of Appetite, UYI and Lies.

this needs to be pinned.

Get a hotel you two and do the do while listening to pretty tied up :rofl-lol:

GNR is getting inducted for being GNR. End of story (this needs to be pinned)

I'd also like to mention i don't realy give a fuck about the HOF.