Thank you Axl for Civil War... now ahem... how about Silkworms?

KoolMonkey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in a few days it will be 10 years they played it for the last time.

31/12/2001 @ the Joint

Same goes for Oh My God!

We should not only tweet, we should spam the twitter and FB account of GnR with requests for OMG & Silkworms!!!!!!!

Edited by Laparka

in a few days it will be 10 years they played it for the last time.

31/12/2001 @ the Joint

Same goes for Oh My God!

We should not only tweet, we should spam the twitter and FB account of GnR with requests for OMG & Silkworms!!!!!!!

Let's contact Mothergoose

Does he have a twitter account?

silkworms is a rather good song, but was never officially released, has no reason to cover that the band, but I wanted to understand why the fuck they do not perform oh my god, but as this was officially released, and could and should be played in all concerts.

It'd be cool if they played it a couple shows or every so often but I dunno about EVERY show. Unfortunately it seems if Axl picks a new song to play it is always played at every show from then on, at least for a while. Silkworms one night, Catcher one night, Bad Obsession one night, Pretty Tied Up one night.....

What I mean is it would be cool to see one slot in the show be open to less heard rare songs that don't usually appear.

in my opinion it is not about rare songs. There is a catalog, and the band should cover it in full, without so much repetition in the setlists. ok the obvious hits, but the others should be more varied. oh my god the song is that in theory represents the change of the old to new guns, and thus should rather appear in setlists.

Edited by auad

It'd be cool if they played it a couple shows or every so often but I dunno about EVERY show. Unfortunately it seems if Axl picks a new song to play it is always played at every show from then on, at least for a while. Silkworms one night, Catcher one night, Bad Obsession one night, Pretty Tied Up one night.....

What I mean is it would be cool to see one slot in the show be open to less heard rare songs that don't usually appear.

in my opinion it is not about rare songs. There is a catalog, and the band should cover it in full, without so much repetition in the setlists. ok the obvious hits, but the others should be more varied. oh my god the song is that in theory represents the change of the old to new guns, and thus should rather appear in setlists.

99& of the big rock bands barely change their setlists. It's not like GnR are the only one doing this. 70% of the people that go to a GnR or any other rock n' roll concert are not hardcore fans that go expecting to listen to rare stuff. Usually, when bands have a lot of hits, they make like 4 or 5 slots to fill in with new songs to promote their album, and/or rotating lesser known songs. I think GnR is doing that quite well... I mean, we asked for Estranged, they played it. We asked for Civil War, they played it. They're more responsive in that particular matter than most of the other bands I like. I doubt that the overall crowd would be pleased if they played Garden Of Eden, Back Off Bitch or Anything Goes instead of It's So Easy, Mr.Brownstone or other songs they currently play.

I agree. The general public didn't care for Silkworms or Oh My God ten years ago, and I don't think reviving two of their arguably biggest throwaways would matter now. I doubt Axl will play those songs to a crowd of 8000-10,000when only a small percentage of them would care and appreciate it.

No offense to those who like those songs. I just seriously doubt it will happen.

Bobbo by that logic, they shouldn't be playing any Chinese Democracy songs. People love CD, people love Better, people love TIL, so I'm sure OMG and Silkworms can make an impact if they were played now.

I agree. The general public didn't care for Silkworms or Oh My God ten years ago, and I don't think reviving two of their arguably biggest throwaways would matter now. I doubt Axl will play those songs to a crowd of 8000-10,000when only a small percentage of them would care and appreciate it.

No offense to those who like those songs. I just seriously doubt it will happen.

Bobbo by that logic, they shouldn't be playing any Chinese Democracy songs. People love CD, people love Better, people love TIL, so I'm sure OMG and Silkworms can make an impact if they were played now.

But neither are on the actual album. OMG was released on a movie soundtrack and Sikworms is far more experimental and different than anything on the album.

Plus Silkworms sucks.

Cheers,

Andrew

They've rehearsed Oh My God. They might have done Silkworms too. I think it was Ron who said Axl will want to sing Oh My God if he feels up for it. Or depending on the mood of the audience. Who knows how many songs they have up their sleeves. We know they have a ton of songs that normally don't get played or haven't been played before and it drives us crazy.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Unless they are included on the next album.

Axl said in the chats that the reworked Oh My God would most likely not see the light of day.

I have to agree with your take on these two songs. OMG flopped when it came out. So why would we want to hear that over an actual new song?

Catcher. Twat. Coma. Prostitute. Yesterdays. Perfect Crime. Breakdown. You're Crazy. Down on the Farm. Lots of better and more interesting options than a throw away song.

Edited by Groghan

Axl doesn't work for you. Don't push it.

The person you work for is the person who pays you right? That's the loosest but truest definition, I think we can all agree there. So Axl does work for me, you, and everyone else who purchases GNR tickets and, cds, merchandise, etc.

People may not want to hear OMG or Silkworms over Jungle or Easy but I bet a large majority wouldn't mind it over Out Ta Get Me, Shacklers, Riff Raff, a jam, or a Dizzy Reed piano version of some Who or Elton John song (whatever he covers or piano).

wrong

The person you work for is the person who pays you right? That's the loosest but truest definition, I think we can all agree there. So Axl does work for me, you, and everyone else who purchases GNR tickets and, cds, merchandise, etc.

People may not want to hear OMG or Silkworms over Jungle or Easy but I bet a large majority wouldn't mind it over Out Ta Get Me, Shacklers, Riff Raff, a jam, or a Dizzy Reed piano version of some Who or Elton John song (whatever he covers or piano).

this.

good point of view, and it is the truth. things in correct terms.

I, you and some people are responsible for the champagne and caviar of him.

atu0t4.jpg

I fucking hate when people use this kind of argument

We follow this band because we want to, Axl is not begging us to be a fan

So stop bitching about how he should do this and that

If you are not happy, stop follow this band

I fucking hate when people think that just because "Axl doesn't work for us" that means he can do whatever he wants without any repercussions.

If he wants to show up late - people are going to complain. They have work in the morning.

They can't just take a couple days off. Doesn't work like that in the real world. They have shit to get done.

The interview on TMS was complete bullshit he redirected and deflected the (legitimate) criticism of being late with a cute story.

If he wants to play same old songs on tour, less people will go to the shows.

Sure there are people who bitch endlessly but it's a legitimate complaint at times that the setlist could use some changes.

If he wants to use whatever excuse/reason for not releasing new material, then he can do that too -

don't be surprised if people build up some resentment.

He can't have his cake and eat it too.

Treat people well and you'll get good treatment back. Reciprocity. Golden rule.

It's in your best interest anyway so just do it even if it hurts.

fuck you for making me post this

Edited by Brodie

this.

good point of view, and it is the truth. things in correct terms.

The band-fan relationship has NOTHING to do with a Employer-Employee relationship and anyone with half a wit can figure that out. "We pay for Axl's hotel rooms and first class tickets" it's true, partially, as by buying albums and going to concerts, we give the band money in exchange for musical joy. However, this by no means makes the band be a subordinate to their fans. There is no boss or employee in this relationship, there is no hierarchy. At least not to such a degree that, as you said 1000 times before in this thread, desperately seeking someone to make a counter-argument, "Why should anyone thank the band?" or "I don't get the Thank You part of this thread". No, fans should thank the band, as the band should thank the fan. In a work-wise relationship the employer thanks the employee as a sign of being polite as he doesn't need to thank him, he's paying him to do the job. That's what polite people do. Does the employee thank the employer everyday for letting him keep his job? No. In a band-fan relationship, it's partially alike to the previous example, however, differently from a work-wise relationship, where if the boss fires the employee, he can find another one to do the job, if a fan base stops endorsing the band, it's not like they'll find someone to fill the exact same gap. That's the main difference. You can't substitute a band for another one that will please you in the exact same way. Not if you're a hardcore fan. So what's wrong with thanking GnR for playing Civil War? I still don't get it. Are you implying we need to be assholes and treat the band like we're doing them a favor? We're not. It's a give-give relationship.

You people and your "OMG I wanna shock people with my post"'s and "OMG I'm gonna start controversy now!"... :roll eyes:

Funny how a person's attitude changes as he/she becomes an older member of this board... :tongue2:

Edited by It Don't Really Matter