Zakk Wylde to join GNR?

GibsonLP

Zakk Wylde seemed very complimentary of Axl and the band after opening for them recently. He also had a bit of a try-out on stage with Whole Lotta Rosie. Do you think if personal/health problems prevent Ron Thal from continuing with the band Zakk might be expecting a call?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zakk Wylde seemed very complimentary of Axl and the band after opening for them recently. He also had a bit of a try-out on stage with Whole Lotta Rosie. Do you think if personal/health problems prevent Ron Thal from continuing with the band Zakk might be expecting a call?

Nope.

Yup, and after that Taylor Momsen will replace Mother GOose on the longhorn. :crazy:

If Ron really had to take a bit of time out but the band still had a string of shows to play then I don't see how Zakk wouldn't be able to fill in for that time. Obviously he might have his own commitments that would prevent it but I'd say that he could learn the stuff that Ron plays. Obviously he has a completely different style to Ron technique wise but I'm sure he could adapt to fit the material.

If Ron really had to take a bit of time out but the band still had a string of shows to play then I don't see how Zakk wouldn't be able to fill in for that time. Obviously he might have his own commitments that would prevent it but I'd say that he could learn the stuff that Ron plays. Obviously he has a completely different style to Ron technique wise but I'm sure he could adapt to fit the material.

Thank you for a thought out response. They are very different players but Axl clearly likes his playing because he has tried Zakk out in the past

o

What is this? 1995?

The reason Zakk was unsuitable in 1995 was because the band needed a rhythm player and not another lead player to compete with Slash. It's quite a different scenario now

Slash didn't want to be upstaged.

Anyway Zakk can't play like Bucket and BBF....not his style.

But nor should he have been upstaged - Slash has always been a lead player and another lead player was brought to the party. Why Axl thought putting them together would work I'll never know? Everyone that's ever been in a band has been in one awful band where there's two guitarists that both just solo over the top of each other all the time. It just never works

How would you feel in your job if you were told there's a new guy starting on Monday, you have to share all your responsibilities with him

Zakk would be filling a different position if he were to join the band now

No.

No.

Your keyboard only has three keys and an enter button? Or you just don't like sharing your reasons?

A. Zakk Wylde's band opened several shows for GNR. He has known Axl for many years. It seemed fairly obvious to invite Zakk onstage to jam. He performed a cover of an AC/DC song with the band.

B. Despite Bumblefoot having the same issues he had three months ago, the band suddenly decided to hire a replacement guitarist with only 6 shows left in the current leg of a three-month long tour. He "auditioned" to replace Bumble to playing a song with the band that is not even a GNR track, is not difficult to play, and that is not even played at every show. This performance was actually a "secret message" to let the fans know what is going on.

Which one do you think is the more plausible scenario?

Edited by axlsalinger

No.

Your keyboard only has three keys and an enter button? Or you just don't like sharing your reasons?

A. Zakk Wylde's band opened several shows for GNR. He has known Axl for many years. It seemed fairly obvious to invite Zakk onstage to jam. He performed a cover of an AC/DC song with the band.

B. Despite Bumblefoot having the same issues he had three months ago, the band suddenly decided to hire a replacement guitarist with only 6 shows left in the current leg of a three-month long tour. He "auditioned" to replace Bumble to playing a song with the band that is not even a GNR track, and that is not even played at every show. This performance was actually a "secret message" to let the fans know what is going on.

How dare you use logic in these forums. Shame on you Sir.

o

What is this? 1995?

The reason Zakk was unsuitable in 1995 was because the band needed a rhythm player and not another lead player to compete with Slash. It's quite a different scenario now

But nor should he have been upstaged - Slash has always been a lead player and another lead player was brought to the party. Why Axl thought putting them together would work I'll never know? Everyone that's ever been in a band has been in one awful band where there's two guitarists that both just solo over the top of each other all the time. It just never works

How would you feel in your job if you were told there's a new guy starting on Monday, you have to share all your responsibilities with him

Zakk would be filling a different position if he were to join the band now

Don't take volcano seriously he is having a band time of it. The HOF talk is upsetting him.

No.

B. Despite Bumblefoot having the same issues he had three months ago, the band suddenly decided to hire a replacement guitarist with only 6 shows left in the current leg of a three-month long tour. He "auditioned" to replace Bumble to playing a song with the band that is not even a GNR track, and that is not even played at every show. This performance was actually a "secret message" to let the fans know what is going on.

I think you've misunderstood my original post - I don't think there has been any kind of audition or that Ron Thal will not finish the tour. I'm thinking the possibility that Ron may choose to hand in his notice once the tour is over - he sees it as his responsibility to see it through and be a good band mate, but we know that he is starting to sound over it all. But based on Zakk Wylde's compliments of the band recently and his enthusiasm at performing with them I wonder if he may offer himself as available if the band were to need a new lead guitarist

No.

How dare you use logic in these forums. Shame on you Sir.

Unfortunately this "logic" you refer to was based on a misinterpretation of my original post. All he did was expand the basics of what I said into something ludicrous and then shoot it down

Unfortunately this "logic" you refer to was based on a misinterpretation of my original post. All he did was expand the basics of what I said into something ludicrous and then shoot it down

I find it more unfortunate that you are jumping to conclusions about Ron leaving the band when nothing he has said has implied this. He just needs time to be with his family. With the tour drawing to a close, he will have plenty of that. He obviously enjoys his time with the band so I have no idea how you are jumping to this conclusion.

I find it more unfortunate that you are jumping to conclusions about Ron leaving the band when nothing he has said has implied this. He just needs time to be with his family. With the tour drawing to a close, he will have plenty of that. He obviously enjoys his time with the band so I have no idea how you are jumping to this conclusion.

It wasn't a conclusion, that's why I put a question mark in there

What is this? 1995?

This lead guitarist ego/ pissing match is a given between lead guitarists isn't uncommon.

Wasn't it said that "Slash wanted to be the only GNR guitarist" and he had resentment toward Izzy. <_<

I too, concur that slash did not want to be intimidated by Zakk. Listen to some of the riffs and progressions he pulls off.

My only critisism of Zakk is his overuse of pinched harmonics.