So whadya think of that L.A. show??

Eu4ic

So what are your impressions after seeing the LA show? I try to keep track of shows and watch obscure shitty little fan-made vids when I have a chance but after seeing LA pro-shot I wanna see them live more than ever - stunning! So, Thanks to Gnr for being generous and kudos for having good business sense. I'm much happier with a 3 hr proshot concert than hearing some shitty 3 min vid of them playing Oh My God or whatever 'surprises' everyone was looking for.

Favorite songs? What did they pull off well and not so much? My two cents:

I keep going back to the beginning and enjoying Estranged (great build up), Rocket Queen (Frank and Tommy kill it; add a whole new dimension to the song. Dig the guitars at the end), and Richard's solo. Motivation is great.

I dont like SOD live period, and if he's gonna do Civil War/Patience sing it sincerely like in the studio - not good one line, then Axl-doing-David-Bowie the next, then Axl-doing-a Mexican-or-Dracula in the next. Great KOHD.

Jam after that was awesome. Love Richard at the lead, DJ on rhythm, with Ron fiddling on the outskirts - throw Axl with some attitude on top of that and that's the new Gnr sound. Nightrain badass - Dizzy fucking Reed sounds great at this gig because you can HEAR him.

Axl's definitely recovered a lot since Rio but for the record he's not in '10 shape. Compare Rosie in LA to Rosie at L'Arc. PC totally had Mickey Mouse filling in for Axl. Love ya Ax, GNR RULES.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there (front row, on the rail) and I thought it was ok. Certain songs Axl sounded fantastic, but a lot of them were back to his really high pitched voice. I didn't think the band really engaged much with the audience either, it didn't have that "in your face" feel. Also, the constant solos and "jams" are draining and unnecessary, but it is quite obvious, they are put in place for Axl as he usually sounds his best after them. I'd say the highlights for me were Don't Cry, Civil War and Whole Lotta Rosie. I also kind of felt Axl was going through the motions a little. The 3 shows in 4 nights in LA back in '06 blew this show away in every way possible. One other thing, while it was cool that they played 3 hours, there were far too many mid-tempo to slow paced songs which also took away from the energy of it all.

Listen to the end of patience if you think axl can't sing anymore.

Thats the point everybodies making dude. Pretty much everybodies in agreement that sometimes he sounds great, and other times sound like 2002. Citing the last part of patience as an example of his singing ability is counter-productive in the argument you're trying to make..

Edited by drtydane

He's certainly back to the 2001/2002 Mickey Mouse voice almost 75% of the time, but at least he's hitting correct notes while up. I've been watching all of my 2006 shows lately and they're phenomenal. He had a harder time hitting a few notes with the rasp he had then it seems, but I'd rather have him close with rasp than dead on and Disney. The band is so good though. They really sound great. I really miss Finck's flow when playing, but DJ is doing solid work.

Edit: I'll admit that Axl always sounds way better when his voice is buried more in the mix, like in an audience cam.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

Let me say this, maybe it was just the LA show, they also didnt play Better when I saw them in Worcester, but the Better from the LA show was absolutely horrendous, DJ messed up the intro riff and chorus riff numerous times, blatantly and in all honestly, Axl sounded spectacularly bad on that song, when he was great the rest of the show.

Scratch Better from the set in favor of Oh My God.

I was at this show & I was nervous because I have been a Guns fan from day one & I have been waiting for like 20yrs to see them live. So I was nervous- would they suck? could Axl still really sing? could he perform? are they too different from the original guns to feel like guns?....

So here's one fan's review: They were totally legit. Axl can absolutely still sing- to debate whether his voice is the same as december 21 1986, 2002, 2006 is assinine- he can sing, really sing and sing he did- he sang his ass off. As far as his heart not being in it?? Didn't catch that either- he ran all over the stage like a teen-ager and from where I sat it didn't look like he gave 100 % but more like he gave 120%. The set list was amazing - THEY PLAYED FOR 3 FUCKING HOURS!!!!!!! and played everything.

The band musically is definitley better than the original line up but I will admit there were a lot of them so at times they didn't seem like as much of a band as musicians playing w. Axl. Then again at times they did seem very much like a cohesive unit. And I think all that comes with time - like playing together live more and more.

Lastly and most importantly- to me -the best part was not the individual things- like axls voice or DJ's guitar or whoever's whatever- but rather the overall vibe- and the overall vibe was that of an honest to god KICK ASS ROCK CONCERT!!! So to GNR- Thank you boys - see you next time!

Thats the point everybodies making dude. Pretty much everybodies in agreement that sometimes he sounds great, and other times sound like 2002. Citing the last part of patience as an example of his singing ability is counter-productive in the argument you're trying to make..

He CAN sing and he's saving his voice. Period.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

If you’re at a show without a prior agenda it’s all pretty faultless. Axl has put a clinical live GN’R together, let’s hope this prowess manifests into the studio time Richard Fortus alluded to.

He CAN sing and he's saving his voice.

When did I say he couldn't sing? I just said he can't sound how he would like to all the time. And this is only going to get worse, regardless of wat you think and we all hope. That's why they need to record while his voice is still in decent enough shape to tour behind said albums.

Let me say this, maybe it was just the LA show, they also didnt play Better when I saw them in Worcester, but the Better from the LA show was absolutely horrendous, DJ messed up the intro riff and chorus riff numerous times, blatantly and in all honestly, Axl sounded spectacularly bad on that song, when he was great the rest of the show.

Scratch Better from the set in favor of Oh My God.

He messed up a lot in Civil War and Better. Even the most simplest parts in Civil War he seemed to really butcher, which ruined the vibe of the song for me.

'This I Love' was horrible IMHO. I know Axl can kill it, but damn, he was horrendous (my opinion again), I've heard pretty awesome versions of that song through 2010/2011.

Edited by pi2loc

'This I Love' was horrible IMHO. I know Axl can kill it, but damn, he was horrendous (my opinion again), I've heard pretty awesome versions of that song through 2010/2011.

Axl sounded awesome in 2010. Sounds very average recently. L.A was pretty mickey mouse.

Edited by Master Chief Billy Sunday

I thought he sounded great. Sure I would have liked more rasp but IMO his "Mickey Mouse" voice nowadays is stronger than it was circa 2001-2002 and he still does some songs raspy. No doubt that 2010 was the best though in terms of recent vocals

He sounded a bit weaker than he has in the past few weeks. TIL and SOD are really the only songs I think are suffering from the last tour. I fully agree that the Mickey Mouse of now is much, much more powerful than in 2002, and I enjoy a lot of those shows, too. It was a good show. They've all been good after Rio. Some better than others. But this was a damn fun and enjoyable show. I wonder how people would feel about the MM voice if he still had the energy he had on the UYI tour. I don't know how it was even possible to have that much energy in a single body. He was like a mini Ultimate Warrior, but somehow more coked and sped up.

I saw a couple of video's on youtube and there where a couple of ok performances but i don't feel the need to download this show. It's ok that they gave the fans who can't go to a show the opportunity to see them live but it's just a regular set like at the rest of the tour imo.

My thoughts....

Chinese Democracy and SCOM were exceptional performances, and as people mentioned earlier there were some great moments in Patience.

Don't Cry was probably my favorite performance of the night. I believe this is not the first time they've done the audience singing along to the guitar solo, with Axl gently joining in later. However, the way they pulled it off for LA was very cinematic.

Better needs to be earlier in the setlist. They supposedly don't play TWAT because it's too rough vocally, but the vocals for Better sound downright horrible whenever they have it in the encore. This might be GN'R's best live song when Axl is growling the verses, and he hasn't been able to do that when it's late in the setlist.

Wouldn't hurt to make some cuts and/or swaps. Sorry was a major energy drainer, not sure this song works too well live. As has been stated a relentless number of times, multiple AC/DC covers is excessive. Considering November Rain and Paradise City are practically untouchable, they should probably only play 1 or 2 out of Civil War, Rocket Queen, and Estranged; too many massive 6+ minute songs makes the concert feel stretched out.

Overall, this was a real treat and I'm glad they did it. Great for the fans, and the concert almost certainly would have been bootlegged anyway. At least now the band gets some $$ for it, and maybe gains another step towards escaping the chains of the record company. I'd gladly shell out $300-400 (or however much it takes) if a subscription package is available for their next tour.

Overall it was pretty good. There were moments when you could close your eyes and almost think it was the early 90s (e.g. end of November Rain). There were also moments when you'd think you were back in 2002. But overall way better than Rio.

One major complaint I have: Estranged. On the second part of the song he sounds so weak, so feeble, like he's not even trying. When the piano solo ends and he kicks in with "When I find out all the reasons" it's supposed to be an explosion, it should be something awe-inspiring. Instead it's completely cringe worthy. (At least add some more melody to it if you can't find the strength.) Same with the "my hands are tied" verses in Civil War and the whole of YCBM, but these were pretty difficult parts to begin with; Estranged can't be that hard.

^ I'm obviously just talking about Axl's voice. The band's playing is flawless as far as I'm concerned.