[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a mini-review written by someone who's heard the tracks (not me):

1. Tattoo

You've all heard this one - not a bad groove, would have been better later in the album

2. She's The Woman

This should have been the kick off. Old time VH feel, great rocker with DLR on top form

3. You and Your Blues

Surprisingly laid back. Probably the coolest VH track I've heard. killer solo - didnt think Eddie had this sort of thing in him

4. China Town

This seems another oldie - a bit like Running With The Devil, big riff and big vocals. Wolfie does a great job on this one.

5. Blood and Fire

I'm On Fire 2. Fast paced rocker with classic VH sound. Solo could have come from any of the first 2 albums

6. Bullethead

Another Full on rocker. Hot For Teacher drum beat. A bit ordinary.

7. As Is

This was a real surprise. Could be Hagar era VH. Melodic, slower, understated in many ways. Best track on the album.

8. sweetiebabydoll

Don't like this. More bubblegum DLR solo than VH. Skip

9. The Trouble With Never

Another 'ballad'. Solid but a bit safe.

10. Outta Space

Outta Love more like. It has that groove to it.

11. Stay Frosty

This is another I think I've heard before. Women and Children first feel to it.

12. Big River

Another huge riff and classic Eddy fast solo. DLR on top form

13. Beats Workin'

Similar feel to She's A Woman. A great ending to a better-than-anticipated album

That's intriguing man...thanks!

It's sounds like it's going to be pretty good!

Sounds like it's going to be a great VH album to me. I'm hoping it is.

According to melodicrock.com, some US retailers heard the album in a preview ran by Interscope. All the opinions came out positive and that the album is much heavier than they expected it to be. Apparently, the highlights are She's The Woman, Big River, Stay Frosty, Beats Workin', and China Town after one listen. Seems like they were surprised with how heavy the album actually is.

I have a feeling Tattoo is just a setup track for the album.

After a couple days of listening to it, including a good solid day of honestly trying to not like it in order to understand why it has gotten such bad reviews, I like it even more now. It grows on me more every listen. It just sounds like classic Van Halen to me, and I've always loved that sound. Dave and Eddie just sound more right than ever together. It just makes me sad to think of all that we missed out on over the last 28 years. But at least we still got it back now. I don't even miss Mikey that much. Would it have been better with him? Sure, but probably not that significantly better (although I would love to see Chickenfoot. I still like Mikey). I feel that Eddie and a vocally layered Dave seem to do the trick well enough (about 65% of the way) in the chorus parts with regard to how their voices mix and harmonize together. That's only a minor drawback on the song as a whole. I dunno, I just... like it. No, that's not true. I love it. Yes, I can say I love it. It's got everything I've ever wanted from a Van Halen song. It's just unfortunate it took this long to finally arrive after the last batch they did (before I was born, except for Greatest Hits volume 1 new stuff).

They got a video that has to help. I can see Djs playing of their own free will. Will Dave do interviews? I think I might prefer his words to the music. Living ain't a luxury.

I think the less Dave says in interviews, the better. A 90 million dollar paycheck split between VH is why he doesn't.

He's said before that when he has nothing to promote, he has no use for interviews and just enjoys things that interest him. He's always had those diversions during VH.

I think the clips where he's talking with Ed and Al about the old days is prob. part of a longer interview/press kit. He didn't really say much during the 2007 tour. He's said plenty during the time he wasn't in VH, plus being a radio personality for 5 seconds. But not going to the RRHOF was about keeping Ed happy while he was trying to work through his issues, and he's just as critical about the induction as any other musician is.

Got my Buffalo tickets, dead-center in the back of the lower bowl. I'm gonna try my luck for Toronto tomorrow for better seats, the best I could get in the presale was back of the lower bowl, I couldn't bring up any floor seats at all.

I remember you said you were going for the $30 tickets for Buffalo. What did you end up paying for the back of the lower bowl?

I ended up making a very poor financial decision. My girlfriend and I budgeted our money and decided that we didn't want to miss out on floors since this is the only show we can do and ended getting the "Fan Package" right at 6 last night when it went on sale for the public. Thankfully I'm still getting shifts in the off season at work and it's on the credit card so neither of us have to worry about paying it back for a while. I really don't buy anything for myself at any other time of the year so I figured screw it, I'll cave this once. Guns was the only concert I did in 2011 so really I'm spending no more money than I did throughout 2010 when I saw Rush twice, KISS, Guns, and so on.

The only shitty thing is I have no idea where my seats are until I get there, but all the packages were still available for Buffalo, and you could actually buy up to 4 of the Fan Package whereas when I checked Toronto for a joke they only had up to 2 available, so since seating is based on the time of the purchase we should be alright. Worst case scenario we're in row 20 on the floor, best case scenario were in row 2. I was in row 19 on the floor for Rush at the Air Canada Centre and that was still pretty damn close, probably closer than I was in the lower bowl for Guns.

Alright, enough of me defending my decision. I'm just fucking pumped for Van Halen! :thumbsup:

Got my Buffalo tickets, dead-center in the back of the lower bowl. I'm gonna try my luck for Toronto tomorrow for better seats, the best I could get in the presale was back of the lower bowl, I couldn't bring up any floor seats at all.

I remember you said you were going for the $30 tickets for Buffalo. What did you end up paying for the back of the lower bowl?

I ended up making a very poor financial decision. My girlfriend and I budgeted our money and decided that we didn't want to miss out on floors since this is the only show we can do and ended getting the "Fan Package" right at 6 last night when it went on sale for the public. Thankfully I'm still getting shifts in the off season at work and it's on the credit card so neither of us have to worry about paying it back for a while. I really don't buy anything for myself at any other time of the year so I figured screw it, I'll cave this once. Guns was the only concert I did in 2011 so really I'm spending no more money than I did throughout 2010 when I saw Rush twice, KISS, Guns, and so on.

The only shitty thing is I have no idea where my seats are until I get there, but all the packages were still available for Buffalo, and you could actually buy up to 4 of the Fan Package whereas when I checked Toronto for a joke they only had up to 2 available, so since seating is based on the time of the purchase we should be alright. Worst case scenario we're in row 20 on the floor, best case scenario were in row 2. I was in row 19 on the floor for Rush at the Air Canada Centre and that was still pretty damn close, probably closer than I was in the lower bowl for Guns.

Alright, enough of me defending my decision. I'm just fucking pumped for Van Halen! :thumbsup:

Lower bowl were $70, after not bringing up any floor seats for Toronto I decided to get slightly better seats for Buffalo just in case something goes wrong with Toronto.

Did you see VH in '07?

Sometimes you just gotta go for it!

Worst case scenario is row 20,but that still isn't bad.Lots of people at the back will be wishing that's where they were.

And you still get some extra perks no?

Van Halen up close man...you won't regret it! B)

Lower bowl were $70, after not bringing up any floor seats for Toronto I decided to get slightly better seats for Buffalo just in case something goes wrong with Toronto.

Did you see VH in '07?

Not a bad price at all for lower bowl! Especially compared to Toronto.

I sadly missed Toronto in 2007. I really didn't start listening to Van Halen until 2008 but Eddie's playing hit me in a way I hadn't been hit since I first listened to Slash. I quickly got every studio album (I only had Van Halen I on cassette thanks to my dad) and last summer I bought a Wolfgang guitar after playing one at the recording studio I go to. It's the Peavey Special EXP model so it's not the high end one (it's a Korean model) but regardless, it's easily the best guitar I own and plays every bit as good as the $2000 Standard at the studio. We compared them in playing and tone and there's very little difference.

There I go rambling again. :lol:

What I'm trying to say is, this concert is huge for me even if I haven't been a fan as long as some people. Eddie has had a huge impact on me so it's worth it for him alone.

Worst case scenario is row 20,but that still isn't bad.Lots of people at the back will be wishing that's where they were.

There's some merchandise included and a VIP host so I won't have to leave my seat or worry about buying merchandise. :lol:

I know I won't regret it. You're right, you just gotta do it! :thumbsup:

Did you see VH in '07?

Not a bad price at all for lower bowl! Especially compared to Toronto.

I sadly missed Toronto in 2007. I really didn't start listening to Van Halen until 2008 but Eddie's playing hit me in a way I hadn't been hit since I first listened to Slash. I quickly got every studio album (I only had Van Halen I on cassette thanks to my dad) and last summer I bought a Wolfgang guitar after playing one at the recording studio I go to. It's the Peavey Special EXP model so it's not the high end one (it's a Korean model) but regardless, it's easily the best guitar I own and plays every bit as good as the $2000 Standard at the studio. We compared them in playing and tone and there's very little difference.

There I go rambling again. :lol:

What I'm trying to say is, this concert is huge for me even if I haven't been a fan as long as some people. Eddie has had a huge impact on me so it's worth it for him alone.

There's some merchandise included and a VIP host so I won't have to leave my seat or worry about buying merchandise. :lol:

I know I won't regret it. You're right, you just gotta do it! :thumbsup:

I splurged on VIP for the very first show of the Roger Waters Wall tour...worth every penny.Glad I did it.

I did the first time I saw KISS too. That concert came at a good time. I started working in Grade 11 including working full time the summer before Grade 12. Then KISS announces a tour. I've always been good at saving money and since I hadn't bought anything since I started working, I said what the hell, I'll never be able to afford it again so I did the full Meet & Greet package. People thought I was nuts but it was 100% worth it and I never regretted it. Awesome experience.

My first attempt this morning I brought up row 24 floors.

I let them go though,because my leg is still healing and I need to be able to sit at times as well and peek around heads to see.

That's a little easier to do in the stands. :shrugs:

Toronto was apparently sold out instantly, I could get any tickets in my first attempt right at 12, and I know plenty of other shows sold out equally fast judging by comments on VH's Facebook posts. If the demand is that high for VH, I don't get why they're still doing arenas. They could easily sell out stadiums :shrugs: