[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, even if the rest of the album is awesome, they're gonna be playing like 3 new songs on tour... that kinda sucks..

Dude, I'm not dropping $170 on a ticket to hear the new stuff.

I like it when bands play a lot of new stuff on tours. I mean... VH is different, since it's a friggin' reunion, but... kinda of a shame if they make a good album and don't play the new songs.

without the "Tattoooo Tattoooo".

That's really driving you crazy isn't it... :lol:

Yeah, it is. :D

But at least I don't repeat myself often. That would get really boring, right?!!!

I saw a funny comment on YouTube. Someone commented how stupid the chorus was because they just repeat "Tattoo Tattoo" and someone replied and said "So you didn't like the chorus of Panama?" :lol:

The only song I see from that recent like is, naturally, Tattoo. Where are the others?

The sample of stay frosty sounds awesome. I've heard a lot of people describe it as ice cream man II. I hear the resemblance.

I do see that, but it also sounds very "Women and Children First" which is awesome.

On another note, I keep playing the 90 second sample of Blood and Fire over and over. Really love that one! This album is going to kick ass.

Thing is, even if the rest of the album is awesome, they're gonna be playing like 3 new songs on tour... that kinda sucks..

Dude, I'm not dropping $170 on a ticket to hear the new stuff.

I like it when bands play a lot of new stuff on tours. I mean... VH is different, since it's a friggin' reunion, but... kinda of a shame if they make a good album and don't play the new songs.

VH's last tour was the reunion tour where they did the same set night after night. Keep in mind that the first 6 are just under 3 hours long, and cut a lot of stuff out they did during Diver Down and 1984 tours. I think they might have done 15 songs back in the day, and the last tour they were doing somewhere around 25 songs, so even if they do 8 or 9 new ones, it's still going to be classic era heavy, and this is part "tying up loose ends" going into the vault. To me, "Tattoo" is like "Poundcake" or "Jump", either you loved it or hated it when it came out. As long as Dave keeps his stories down, Al does a shorter drum solo, and there's no bass solo, it'll still be a kick ass show.

Whatever is left in the vaults, is prob. going to be part of a box set.

The DVD bonus is going to be a "making of", which they hadn't done before.

I have no problem with them tapping the well... :)

Me neither. I actually think it was a smart move. My guess is Eddie knows fans are wanting/expecting a classic sounding VH album, and this pretty much ensures that it happens. I'll take this over an album full of Me Wise Magic sounding tunes.

Me neither. I actually think it was a smart move. My guess is Eddie knows fans are wanting/expecting a classic sounding VH album, and this pretty much ensures that it happens. I'll take this over an album full of Me Wise Magic sounding tunes.

+1.

It's funny because there's people saying that the songs that have been heard so far don't sound like classic Van Halen, or that it wasn't what they were expecting. I politely bring up that half the songs were written before Van Halen I even came out. My local rock station does have Tattoo in rotation, but on their Facebook page they were ripping apart and there were comments saying it sounds too far removed and this and that. Then they go on to play Why Can't This Be Love. I love the song, but Tattoo sounds far more classic Van Halen. I really don't know what people were expecting. :shrugs:

I'm loving what I'm hearing. Just some good hard rocking songs!

No prob at all. It's THEIR unused material, not like they're ripping anyone off. It's only 'cause there's been such a big lapse between albums anyone's making an issue off it(unfairly). Bands do this all the time, authors/screenwriters, too. You may write a great movie scene that you can't quite creatively polish at the time or it doesn't fit perfectly with the other material, so you save it and look to use in future.

Would suck if they DIDN'T use killer material just 'cause it was written in past. Only thing that matters is quality...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

From the way Hagar made it sound, Ed has a lot of solos and unfinished ideas, but he's also the guy who went in and did "Beat It" in 2 or 3 takes. Mike doesn't even know how much stuff's been recorded. Does he still have music left in him? No one really knows how old some of these solos are except the guys in the band. And in a way that's good he recorded all that stuff years ago.

Mike could challenge VH in court on these songs, but I think he just wants to keep that door open with VH and it wouldn't be worth the time and money to go to court, when he has 20 years worth of songs with his name on it.