[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

Nice! We'll have to try to meet up before the show!

Yea, I'd love to. I know there's nowhere really for us to eat on the way down, maybe you and BS would be up for a little MyGNR get-together and grab some grub before the gig? ;)

Damon's is right down the road from the BJC - it really depends what time I get out of work. I'm on-air until 7, so I don't know what time the doors open or what Kool & The Gang go on. Can't say that I'd be too upset if I missed their set, though..

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I'd love to. I know there's nowhere really for us to eat on the way down, maybe you and BS would be up for a little MyGNR get-together and grab some grub before the gig? ;)

Damon's is right down the road from the BJC - it really depends what time I get out of work. I'm on-air until 7, so I don't know what time the doors open or what Kool & The Gang go on. Can't say that I'd be too upset if I missed their set, though..

Ticketmaster says 7:30 for Kool & The Gang.

Also, Facebook presale at 10 AM on Friday. I'm assuming the password will be TATTOO again ;)

Edited by Powerage5

Ticketmaster says 7:30 for Kool & The Gang.

Also, Facebook presale at 10 AM on Friday. I'm assuming the password will be TATTOO again ;)

We can figure it out closer to the show if need be...Damon's is usually pretty fast as far as service goes. If all else fails, there's always Subway inside the venue! :D

I may have beat you, but you got it to embed whereas I didn't, so you win. ;)

I agree. It sounds very old school but with the cleaner guitar tone and production of the '96 songs. . I really don't miss Michael Anthony's harmonies, this sounds great!

True, there seem to be some good backing vocals during the verses here, which are just like the old days. Roth sounds good. Gives me a Top Jimmy sorta feel. Not full on rock yet, but right on the edge.

Here's a mini-review written by someone who's heard the tracks (not me):

1. Tattoo

You've all heard this one - not a bad groove, would have been better later in the album

2. She's The Woman

This should have been the kick off. Old time VH feel, great rocker with DLR on top form

3. You and Your Blues

Surprisingly laid back. Probably the coolest VH track I've heard. killer solo - didnt think Eddie had this sort of thing in him

4. China Town

This seems another oldie - a bit like Running With The Devil, big riff and big vocals. Wolfie does a great job on this one.

5. Blood and Fire

I'm On Fire 2. Fast paced rocker with classic VH sound. Solo could have come from any of the first 2 albums

6. Bullethead

Another Full on rocker. Hot For Teacher drum beat. A bit ordinary.

7. As Is

This was a real surprise. Could be Hagar era VH. Melodic, slower, understated in many ways. Best track on the album.

8. sweetiebabydoll

Don't like this. More bubblegum DLR solo than VH. Skip

9. The Trouble With Never

Another 'ballad'. Solid but a bit safe.

10. Outta Space

Outta Love more like. It has that groove to it.

11. Stay Frosty

This is another I think I've heard before. Women and Children first feel to it.

12. Big River

Another huge riff and classic Eddy fast solo. DLR on top form

13. Beats Workin'

Similar feel to She's A Woman. A great ending to a better-than-anticipated album

I'd also like to note that while the comments on YouTube are 50/50, the likes outnumber the dis-likes about 5 to 1. I think people who hate on stuff are more prone to bloviate than those who just listen and think "this is a cool song."

Coming back to this little review, it seems off. Hearing Blood and Fire's snippet doesn't really make it seem like a full on rocker. Maybe it changes throughout the song, I don't know. But it doesn't give off that vibe. And they call The Trouble With Never a ballad, and the snippet of that song I heard at amazon.co.uk did not sound like a ballad at all.

Snippet of a new song, 'Blood and Fire'.

Sounds very interesting. Sounds like old VH mixed with the guitar sound from the 96 Roth tracks. I like it.

EDIT: Paul got to it before me! Damn.

It worries me THIS is the next snippet to release. Because it's, ummm, not good. Borderline awful.

Oh well, we've still got She's The Woman to look forward to. :)

I think Blood and Fire sounds like a solid track.

Yeah I like it!

Coulda been a side two vinyl track on one of the early albums or something.

I think Dave sounds great on it.

I'm still digging what I'm hearing so far.

Here's Stay Frosty:

I like this one too. The description from the previously posted review is a little more accurate for this one.

This has an Ice Cream Man vibe.

Holy shit it goes pretty heavy.

I'm digging this..Dave sounds great.

Got a bigass grin on my face right now,I've got a feeling this cd is going to spend a lot of time in the car deck this summer! B)

This site is streaming "The Trouble With Never" and "Blood And Fire" in full!

http://www.vanhalenradio.com/vanhalenradio/2012/01/26/2-news-will-songs-be-popping-up-soon/

rock1

AWESOME, thanks man. EVH really saves Blood and Fire. The Trouble With Never pretty cool, too. Stay Frosty vintage VH, can't wait to hear the rest.

Tattoo has the most commercial sound of these tracks so far and coulda been a nice lead off single without the "Tattoooo Tattoooo".

Edited by Turn_It_Up

This site is streaming "The Trouble With Never" and "Blood And Fire" in full!

http://www.vanhalenradio.com/vanhalenradio/2012/01/26/2-news-will-songs-be-popping-up-soon/

rock1

Any other links? That one won't play for me. I really want to hear the rest of Blood and Fire. They should have released that as the first single.

Hmm not that I know of, I just ran into this site by searching Van Halen on Google News