GN'R should start over for the next album

31illusions

GN'R should start over. They got DJ now and he's a really good guitarist. They seem more like a team now.

I'm not interested in a new CD of 12 year old songs. I think the new guys creating a new album would be better.

Lolllll whatttttt!?!??!?!?

What? DJ is a great guitar player man don't deny him that...you can criticize a lot of shit but he can play the AX like it's nobody's business.

Sorry champ, but the dude cannot even replicate Robin's TIL solo, and even Robin was not a 'really good' guitarist. Bucket, Bumble, Fortus, yes they are really good guitarists. DJ? No. Not in my opinion.

LOL did DJ fuck your girlfriend? :lol:

It's not that he can "replicate" the TIL solo he just changed it. If you prefer the album version that's another story.

Did he fuck your boyfriend? :P

Oh please. Watch the first few 2009 shows where he 'tries' to render the solo note for note and butches it up. After that he simplified it big time, only hitting the key notes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? The older stuff is *almost* ready, why would they need to start over from scratch first?

Because...

It'd be disrespectful to the "new" guys - Rich, Ron, Frank and Dj. Tommy mentioned that he *wants* to write stuff this year and that they have a really good band to record a new album. The new guys want to write and release new stuff, Tommy apparently wants the same and possibly the other guys

Also, again, there's other members on the band with songs already written. Tommy, Chris, Dizzy and Axl himself spent years creating songs, it isnt fair to just scrap it because the guitar players were replaced.

Yup, and Tommy himself said that he'd like to write new stuff and release it. As I said, that's possibly how Chris and Dizzy (who says that this is the best band he worked with - I know that he kept saying the same thing over the past years...lol) view it as well.

It doesn't matter if the stuff already written is groundbreaking, godlike or totally inventive and original, it'd be disrespectful.

That doesn't mean they don't want to go again with the "writing mode", I'm just talking about what should be released first.

The older stuff would be released later anyway.

The guys in the band kept the ball rolling, didn't leave the band and want to write and record new stuff. So it'd be fair and respectful to release their stuff first, then the older stuff.

Elton John wrote, recorded and was ready to release one song per day - I mean, a kick ass song that was written, performed, mixed, mastered and all each day. He didn't need countless years to record, re-record, mix, mix again, new guys adding their parts to existing songs, mix it again and then master, re-master it, etc. So in a whole month of work GNR can do it.

What are you talking about? The older stuff is *almost* ready, why would they need to start over from scratch first?

Because...

It'd be disrespectful to the "new" guys - Rich, Ron, Frank and Dj. Tommy mentioned that he *wants* to write stuff this year and that they have a really good band to record a new album. The new guys want to write and release new stuff, Tommy apparently wants the same and possibly the other guys

Also, again, there's other members on the band with songs already written. Tommy, Chris, Dizzy and Axl himself spent years creating songs, it isnt fair to just scrap it because the guitar players were replaced.

Yup, and Tommy himself said that he'd like to write new stuff and release it. As I said, that's possibly how Chris and Dizzy (who says that this is the best band he worked with - I know that he kept saying the same thing over the past years...lol) view it as well.

It doesn't matter if the stuff already written is groundbreaking, godlike or totally inventive and original, it'd be disrespectful.

That doesn't mean they don't want to go again with the "writing mode", I'm just talking about what should be released first.

The older stuff would be released later anyway.

The guys in the band kept the ball rolling, didn't leave the band and want to write and record new stuff. So it'd be fair and respectful to release their stuff first, then the older stuff.

Elton John wrote, recorded and was ready to release one song per day - I mean, a kick ass song that was written, performed, mixed, mastered and all each day. He didn't need countless years to record, re-record, mix, mix again, new guys adding their parts to existing songs, mix it again and then master, re-master it, etc. So in a whole month of work GNR can do it.

Sorry man, I still cant see how is disrespectful if its written by the same guys (the guitar isnt the only instrument in the band). And, if anything, what happened with Chinese - heavily featuring ex-members like Paul Tobias, Brain and Buckethead - leads me to think that Axl wouldnt want to throw away years of recording and writing. Hell, even guys like Moby, Youth and Josh Freese had credits somehow there.

And, like I said, its all about releasing. We all know how slow Axl works, so its not realistic to think that he would write and release anything as fast as Elton John. So it wouldnt make sense at all to wait to write, record, mix and master a whole new album instead of finalizing what they already have recorded.

I do think Axl's love for Ashba may got them to record a new song or two, but not a whole new record *right now*. Its just not realistic.

Wel, Josh Freese recorded +/- 30 songs when Brian came in, and he had to rerecord them and play it exactly like Josh did.

So yea, he is mentioned in the credits.

And I believe that Paul wrote a lot of the CD era songs, and Moby was a producer for some time.

Wasnt that my point?

Josh was credited because he co-wrote Chinese and made drums arrangements on TWAT and Riad. Paul not only wrote, but is the rhythm guitar on lots of tracks even though Richard replaced him several years before the release. Josh and Tobias were gone for 7 to 9 years before the album got released. So yeah, its pretty much possible to see a new album still featuring not only Bucket, Brain and Robin, but also Paul Tobias and even some Freese writing.

Wel, Josh Freese recorded +/- 30 songs when Brian came in, and he had to rerecord them and play it exactly like Josh did.

So yea, he is mentioned in the credits.

And I believe that Paul wrote a lot of the CD era songs, and Moby was a producer for some time.

Wasnt that my point?

Josh was credited because he co-wrote Chinese and made drums arrangements on TWAT and Riad. Paul not only wrote, but is the rhythm guitar on lots of tracks even though Richard replaced him several years before the release. Josh and Tobias were gone for 7 to 9 years before the album got released. So yeah, its pretty much possible to see a new album still featuring not only Bucket, Brain and Robin, but also Paul Tobias and even some Freese writing.

If they don't start from scratch I'm pretty sure they will be at least credited on the next record.

sorry I just can't get behind Robin Finck being a bad guitar player. guy has chops. their different chops but chops nonetheless.

though young gun and I have no problems so I'm trying to bait him/her just don't agree in this instance.

Edited by tange

Hopefully in the next 2 years there will be new music out. I'm pretty sure now that Axl has a backlog of material, added in with what the current lineup has to offer, it'll happen. As far as signing with a record company, this is going to be interesting.

Geffen at least has their back catalog as collateral so Axl can get advance money if needed, but the less he borrows from them, the better. We know they're not above using product placement, they're not a starving artist pass the hat band. Bob Dylan does lingerie commercials, so nothing's sacred.

Hopefully in the next 2 years there will be new music out. I'm pretty sure now that Axl has a backlog of material, added in with what the current lineup has to offer, it'll happen. As far as signing with a record company, this is going to be interesting.

Geffen at least has their back catalog as collateral so Axl can get advance money if needed, but the less he borrows from them, the better. We know they're not above using product placement, they're not a starving artist pass the hat band. Bob Dylan does lingerie commercials, so nothing's sacred.

I don't know if Axl can get any advance money. It stopped already before Chinese Democracy and, after its release, I strongly doubt they would ever give any more money.

Nice footage, great version, even though we could barely hear the outro solo...

There's no outro solo in that version. Richard only added it between this European leg and the NA Tour in 2002. Its great to hear Pitman's synth, tho. :thumbsup:

I don't know if Axl can get any advance money. It stopped already before Chinese Democracy and, after its release, I strongly doubt they would ever give any more money.

Nice footage, great version, even though we could barely hear the outro solo...

There's no outro solo in that version. Richard only added it between this European leg and the NA Tour in 2002. Its great to hear Pitman's synth, tho. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that there wasn't a solo because I certainly couldn't hear it - only noise and I assumed it was a solo, lol. Anyway Robin's solo was possibly the best live version of the solo :thumbsup: