GN'R should start over for the next album

31illusions

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should release the old CD material, and create a new album from scratch with the new players. Writing, recording, and mastering a completely new album is not going to happen overnight, and the politics behind a GN'R record seem to take longer than with other artists. Release the remaining CD material this spring, and it will have run its course long before an Ashba record is completely ready for release. Axl's not getting any younger... and as much as Tommy likes to note that the new lineup has been together longer than the old one, the old lineup released AFD, Lies, UYI1, UYI2, and TSI while the new lineup only has CD.

Kanye West released 808's & Heartbreak on the same day as CD. He's released two albums since then, and has a third release announced for this Spring. And the best part is that *he* is generally considered to be a perfectionist and slow worker.

Lies was more of a bridge between AFD and UYI1/UYI2 than a full record release. "Chinese Democracy II" (or whatever it ends up being called) can serve a similar purpose.

That is a terrible idea.

It doesn't matter if songs are 12 years old. We haven't heard them, so they'll be new. And do you know how many songs from UYI and such that weren't "new" songs? Much of Use Your Illusion I was written prior to Appetite even being written/recorded. Loads of songs are held off for the fact that they don't mesh with the other songs, with the concept of the album (if there is one), or they don't feel ready to release it. Anything that he'll release is new. When he wrote it is irrelevant.

And I don't think Axl will ever start over. If he releases anything again, it'll ALWAYS be things he's tinkered with in the past. With him being the primary songwriter, the other shit will be written around what he already has. He's the basis.

The problem comes that I don't want an album that's half 2002/2006 line-up and half 2010 line-up. It'll definitely feel disjointed. I don't think there's any way around it.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

I would be extremely upset if we didn't get at least one more album of material from the '97-'07 sessions. A lot of time and effort was put into those songs and I would feel cheated as a fan if after waiting all this time, the stuff was never released. I would be shocked if this course of action was even considered.

Yeah, this stuff has to come out.

yeah i dont want them to start over i want to hear the rest of the CD stuff, if they want to release that stuff as is along with CD in a boxset then start from scratch on a new album then i would be fine with that, but to scrap everything that was written/recorded it would be a huge loss and a big mistake

Can't we have both? I see no reason to just release a fresh album with this line up and never release the Robin/Bucket/Brain material first.

Axl sees Chinese as a double anyway. Why would he release only half of the work?

It just doesn't seem like something he'll do but who the fuck knows...

Maybe we'll get a reworked cd2. Personally I don't want that. I would prefer it if they'll keep the cd2 songs as they are now with only maybe what Bumble already recorded on it (little fills, couple of solos) and then REALLY create a fresh album while we have something to listen to so the wait won't be brutal.

I would be extremely upset if we didn't get at least one more album of material from the '97-'07 sessions. A lot of time and effort was put into those songs and I would feel cheated as a fan if after waiting all this time, the stuff was never released. I would be shocked if this course of action was even considered.

Also, if they started over right now, what's the soonest we would get a new album? 2017? I mean, what reason would we have to believe that GNR could start and finish an album, from scratch, in less than 5 years? I'd rather hear whatever it is that we were intended to hear before Robin left, even if it means that some of Robin's parts are reworked by DJ.

Don't you already have most of the songs?

I think they can go to the studio to do two things. Finish the rest of the CD sessions, and start on fresh new music. Release the CD sessions stuff, and then finish the newest stuff. Or they can mix them. I dont think though they will or should get rid of the CD sessions. I love the current members and think they can create epic music. I also respect and like Bucket, Brain ,and Robin. I want to hear what they did with Axl.

Release an 8 song EP of the best of the remaining CD songs and give that to us while they are writing/recording the new album with the current band.

So we - the fans - get new music in 2012 and a new album at the end of 2012 as well. Pretty simple.

Also, if they started over right now, what's the soonest we would get a new album? 2017? I mean, what reason would we have to believe that GNR could start and finish an album, from scratch, in less than 5 years? I'd rather hear whatever it is that we were intended to hear before Robin left, even if it means that some of Robin's parts are reworked by DJ.

If memory serves me correctly, the drive only contained documents mentioning song titles, the only actual song on there was a Better remix. But of course, MSL can obviously provide more info if that is incorrect. (along with a pm, lol.)

I think they can go to the studio to do two things. Finish the rest of the CD sessions, and start on fresh new music. Release the CD sessions stuff, and then finish the newest stuff. Or they can mix them. I dont think though they will or should get rid of the CD sessions. I love the current members and think they can create epic music. I also respect and like Bucket, Brain ,and Robin. I want to hear what they did with Axl.

See that's the thing. I believe you will Never hear it because Axl will redo it all. Because they haven't been in the band for years.

Edited by 31illusion

I don't mind if they use older songs or newly written ones (although a combination of both would be ideal IMO) but all I ask for is fresh 2012 studio takes. I would rather hear the current bands take on the songs than copy/pasted songs featuring vocals from 1999, Bucket solos from 2002, drums from 2006, etc. It would be awesome to have recordings all recorded from the same sessions

Worst suggestion I've ever heard

Seconded worst topic and worst suggestion ever :fuckyou::thumbsdown:

No they shouldnt they should release what they ahve NOW and then work on something esle. there's no reason to throw away past stuff as if nobody will like it, regardless of what it sounds like vs. what people think it should.

True they can release what they have in the vaults then work on new material with this lineup

See that's the thing. I believe you will Never hear it because Axl will redo it all. Because they haven't been in the band for years.

I think the stuff will be recorded over, but some will stay. I hope! :shrugs:

If memory serves me correctly, the drive only contained documents mentioning song titles, the only actual song on there was a Better remix. But of course, MSL can obviously provide more info if that is incorrect. (along with a pm, lol.)

I'm sure he had a good hand full before that drive was ever even in question... SHARE!!!