Slash - You're a Lie (Full Song)

Naupis

listened to it full blast on some external speakers and it was a whole different beast

Exactly!!

Did the same thing...played it as loud as I possibly could on the home stereo and it's an entirely different experience!

This song is going to be fuckin fierce live!! :shades:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listened to it full blast on some external speakers and it was a whole different beast

Exactly!!

Did the same thing...played it as loud as I possibly could on the home stereo and it's an entirely different experience!

This song is going to be fuckin fierce live!! :shades:

I could see them opening with this actually. The intro on the song would be a great start to a show with that riffing.

I doubt the album will be full of 3.5 minute songs of this ilk (at least I hope not) so I'm going to give it some leeway and accept it as a fun addition to the album that will be cool blaring on my car stereo.

In an interview somewhere a while ago Slash did say there are alot of longer "musical journeys" on the album.

I think this literally was picked because it is radio friendly from start to finish and is the length a radio edit would most likely be anyway.

Slash has settled on a lead singer to front the songs from his upcoming ‘Apocalyptic Love‘ album, and the chemistry with Myles Kennedy is unmistakable on ‘You’re a Lie,’ the album’s first single.

The necessarily loud and tightly produced recording is amongst his best post-GNR works.

The biggest challenge for a guitarist releasing a solo project is finding a balance with the vocalist that features the man who’s name is stamped on the album jacket without castrating his singer. ‘You’re a Lie’ begins with almost 40 seconds of Slash in the driver’s seat a la Ryan Gossling in ‘Drive,’ but when it’s time he lets Kennedy shine.

“You’re a voice of reason that I can’t escape / Cut me down a thousand times a day / I don’t need you anymore / I don’t need you anymore,” he sings to open the lyric.

The two — along with the other Conspirators, who’s contributions shouldn’t be overlooked — weave around each other like circus performers. Slash’s technical noodling only compliments Kennedy’s lyrics. It’s a brilliant balance they hold on to for almost four minutes.

“‘Cause you’re a liar, liar / All my faith has been wasted, wasted / ‘Cause you’re a liar, liar / I don’t need you to save me anymore,” Kennedy sings during the chorus.

‘You’re a Lie’ never lets up, moving from chorus to verse to guitar solo without space for a breath or even a pause for emphasis. It’s pedal-to-the-metal rock and roll from start to finish. Perhaps only ‘Black Betty’ by Ram Jam will be the cause of more speeding tickets.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-youre-a-lie-song-review/

that's a great song review! and so in-depth :rofl-lol:

Heard this in my new vehicle today, I must say if this song is an indication of the record I am sold :thumbsup:

the radio dude loves it too. Sounded rad to me rock3

It is kind of generic, but looking around at the reviews I have seen and youtube comments and stuff it seems to be going over pretty well because it is catchy and a definite foot tapper. I guess for a first single that is all you can hope for really as opposed to everyone hating it.

There's nothing wrong with a "generic" rock tune. Some bands have been quite successful at making "generic" rock tunes. AC/DC comes to mind.....

Not everyone wants to make an album with 13 layers of guitars, 6 layers of piano and keyboard, etc.... some guys just want to rock out.

There's nothing wrong with a "generic" rock tune. Some bands have been quite successful at making "generic" rock tunes. AC/DC comes to mind.....

Not everyone wants to make an album with 13 layers of guitars, 6 layers of piano and keyboard, etc.... some guys just want to rock out.

Being generic has nothing to do with overdubbing. Even a simple 3 chord song can have personality, but this song simply lacks that, IMO, of course.

Being generic has nothing to do with overdubbing. Even a simple 3 chord song can have personality, but this song simply lacks that, IMO, of course.

*Exactly*! Not only that but everything in it is kind of uninspired. Sure, some cool riffing goin' on, the solo has some cool moments and that's pretty much it.