OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

Axl Rose absent at Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, despite his public rejection of the accolade.

_59666300_guns1_bodygetty.jpg

Rose, who did not attend the induction ceremony on Saturday, declined the honour earlier this week, saying he felt neither "wanted or respected".

An on-stage reference to Rose drew boos at the event, attended by other members of the rock band's line-up.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan were among others honoured.

Rose was not the only no-show at the lengthy ceremony, held at Cleveland's Public Hall in front of a 6,000-strong audience.

Rod Stewart also bowed out, a case of flu preventing him from being celebrated alongside members of The Small Faces and The Faces.

The Beastie Boys - only the third hip-hop act to enter the Hall of Fame - were also without one of their members, Adam "MCA" Yauch.

Bette Midler, Smokey Robinson and Chris Rock were among those presenting honours at a five-and-a-half hour event that climaxed with an all-star "jam".

Source: BBC.co.uk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is, The 'Slashites' boo because they love Axl too. Essentially, Slashites, are original GNR fans to the core.

I'll be curious to see BJA's induction. Those are the kind of quotes that can change completely depending on his delivery.

1) Essentially, Slashites are those who blame Axl for the break-up of the classic line up. Let's not kid anyone here

2) I heard BJA's induction first and it did sound like he was taking a dig at Axl.

I think being a Slashite means many things such as: you love old GNR with all members including Axl, you accept Axl's responsibility in purging members because they wouldn't do it his way, and you recognize that all the songs released as singles from Appetite, musically, were written by Slash/Izzy/Duff . Axl didn't write anything until he heard the riffs.

Being an Axlite means basically one thing...

Oh really? What does love for Axl translate into? Savaging everything from his looks to his voice to trying to diminish his own contribution to the old GN'R? We have a poster here who have a picture of Slash, Duff, Steven and Matt and underneath it says Guns N Roses. That's a great way of "loving" Axl.

To use Stalinist terminology like "purging" for the ouster of old members is another way of showing love - Axl as some great murderous dictator. Steven's exit was because he wouldnt do things Axl's way, really? His own drugs and Slash's own low estimation of his musical abilities had nothing to do with it, of course. Izzy expressed how difficult it was for him to be around Slash and Duff's substance abuse and also his lack of appetite for GN'R's big band status was another reason he left. But only one version of the narrative is allowed to exist - its all Axl.

For many Slashites, Slash can play with ANYBODY and its always greatttt. But Axl's post old GN'R music cannot be much good because apparently his talent wasn't something he possessed himself, it was only the others' halo that was illuminating him.

It's interesting that there is so little criticism of Izzy. He didn't show up "for the fans" either but it's Axl taking all the crap. Axl even gave an explanation,whether you accept it or not, as to why it would be in best interest to miss it. Izzy didn't. He would have just had to show up, shake some hands and accept an award, right? You know -- for the fans.

it's because Axl was an over-the-top dickface about the whole thing. Izzy wrote a really "cool" letter of thanks to the band, the fans, and the hall... Axl, on the other hand, basically said "fuck you" to the entire world.

I've been a huge fan of GNR since the late 1980s, but I have to say that I've honestly lost a lot of respect for Axl for the way that he handled things here. I could care less that he went to the induction, but it's just his attitude here. seeing how the other GNR guys handled this entire thing (including adler and sorum, who should be bitter enemies) really drove this point home for me.

Ignore the fued with Slash for the moment. Or the fact that it was an attempt at a reunion of the original band.

Why should Axl show up after the "jabs by former members" (Adler) calling his current friends/bandmates "hacks" and then "scabs"? After that stuff from Adler, why would Axl show up and sing with Adler behind him? Let Adler dump on you and your work for the past 15 years but then sing & pretend to be happy at the HOF?

If for only that reason, Axl shouldn't have gone. And Adler was wrong - scabs are not brought in when the original members quit or are fired.

I don't get it. Why is this fuckin' circus called RRHOF so important to you? And what's the difference between Axl and Izzy? They BOTH did not attend. Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Izzy fan since 1991 and I can understand Axl is not a walk in a park but when it comes to Hall of Fame - what did Axl do wrong? I don't see ANY reason for bashing Axl this time. Izzy gets cheers and Axl gets bashing and booing for the SAME behaviour. It makes no sense to me.

And yeah, I know there's a special thread for this.

Heh, what a freaky situation. There's this Guns n' Roses run by Axl Rose, and then this other Guns n' Roses playing on some award ceremony. It's so weird! But the "other" GnR did sound pretty good. I still would prefer a new album from Axl over this lame induction thing.

There's only one Guns N' Roses and then there are old members who covers Guns N' Roses songs.

This.

There is (was) only one Guns N'Roses

:rolleyes:

is=present/was=past

Edited by The Archer

The funny thing is, The 'Slashites' boo because they love Axl too. Essentially, Slashites, are original GNR fans to the core.

I'll be curious to see BJA's induction. Those are the kind of quotes that can change completely depending on his delivery.

1) Essentially, Slashites are those who blame Axl for the break-up of the classic line up. Let's not kid anyone here

2) I heard BJA's induction first and it did sound like he was taking a dig at Axl.

I think being a Slashite means many things such as: you love old GNR with all members including Axl, you accept Axl's responsibility in purging members because they wouldn't do it his way, and you recognize that all the songs released as singles from Appetite, musically, were written by Slash/Izzy/Duff . Axl didn't write anything until he heard the riffs.

Being an Axlite means basically one thing...

Oh really? What does love for Axl translate into? Savaging everything from his looks to his voice to trying to diminish his own contribution to the old GN'R? We have a poster here who have a picture of Slash, Duff, Steven and Matt and underneath it says Guns N Roses. That's a great way of "loving" Axl.

To use Stalinist terminology like "purging" for the ouster of old members is another way of showing love - Axl as some great murderous dictator. Steven's exit was because he wouldnt do things Axl's way, really? His own drugs and Slash's own low estimation of his musical abilities had nothing to do with it, of course. Izzy expressed how difficult it was for him to be around Slash and Duff's substance abuse and also his lack of appetite for GN'R's big band status was another reason he left. But only one version of the narrative is allowed to exist - its all Axl.

For many Slashites, Slash can play with ANYBODY and its always greatttt. But Axl's post old GN'R music cannot be much good because apparently his talent wasn't something he possessed himself, it was only the others' halo that was illuminating him.

Thanks Rabs. I couldn't say it better. :thumbsup:

Axl Rose absent at Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, despite his public rejection of the accolade.

_59666300_guns1_bodygetty.jpg

Rose, who did not attend the induction ceremony on Saturday, declined the honour earlier this week, saying he felt neither "wanted or respected".

An on-stage reference to Rose drew boos at the event, attended by other members of the rock band's line-up.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan were among others honoured.

Rose was not the only no-show at the lengthy ceremony, held at Cleveland's Public Hall in front of a 6,000-strong audience.

Rod Stewart also bowed out, a case of flu preventing him from being celebrated alongside members of The Small Faces and The Faces.

The Beastie Boys - only the third hip-hop act to enter the Hall of Fame - were also without one of their members, Adam "MCA" Yauch.

Bette Midler, Smokey Robinson and Chris Rock were among those presenting honours at a five-and-a-half hour event that climaxed with an all-star "jam".

Source: BBC.co.uk

Izzy gets a free ride again though...

Guns N' Roses, Chili Peppers bring magic to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction

(Rolling Stone) -- Walking into Cleveland, Ohio's Public Auditorium for the 27th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last night, it was hard to not think of the Titanic striking an iceberg on the very same day 100 years ago.

In recent days Axl Rose and Rod Stewart, two of the biggest stars entering the Hall of Fame this year, pulled out of the show, making complete reunion performances by the Faces and Guns N' Roses impossible. Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante opted not to come, and the Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch stayed home as he continues to recover from cancer.

One might think that these absences would sink the induction ceremony somewhere deep into the Atlantic Ocean, but it turns out they didn't matter much at all. In fact, it was one of the best Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in recent memory.

"I don't know that it matters who's here tonight, because it's about the music that these bands played," Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan said during his induction speech. Minutes after making that point, McKagan walked over across to the stage to play an explosive three-song set of Guns N' Roses songs with Slash, guitarist Gilby Clarke, Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy and drummers Matt Sorum and Steven Adler.

Fans were screaming out "F*** Axl" through much of the night, but the moment the group launched into "Mr. Brownstone," Rose and Izzy Stradlin's decision to not attend the ceremony was completely forgotten, and this previously unassembled lineup of the band proved they could revive the spirit of GNR on their own. Adler was grinning from ear-to-ear during a note-perfect "Sweet Child O' Mine," and the finale of "Paradise City" had nearly every single person in the audience screaming at the top of their lungs. A powerful singer, Kennedy hit every Axl-patented banshee wail perfectly.

The Faces also soldiered on without their lead singer, recruiting Simply Red's Mick Hucknall to fill his slot. He's done a bunch of shows with the group over the past few years, and he sounds exactly like early 1970s-era Rod Stewart. "Ooh La La" was a lot of fun, but they absolutely destroyed with "Stay With Me." Ron Wood played guitar with fiery passion, almost like he was trying to prove to Mick and Keith that he's in fighting shape for a Rolling Stones tour. Ian McLagan demonstrated that he's still one of the greatest keyboardists in rock and roll, and drummer Kenny Jones still has the chops that got him Keith Moon's old job in the late 1970s. Here's hoping that one day Rod comes to his senses and agrees to a tour with these guys.

The Beastie Boys had no intention of performing without Adam Yauch, so the Roots were joined by Kid Rock and Travie McCoy of Gym Class Heroes for an incredible medley of Beastie classics, including "Sabotage" and "So What'cha Want." Rock, Black Thought and McCoy all wore matching green Adidas track suits, and they did a great job of channeling the energy and spirit of the groundbreaking trio.

The evening kicked off with a surprise performance by Green Day, who did a bombastic rendition of the American Idiot deep cut "Letterbomb." Few in the audience seemed to know the song, but Billie Joe Armstrong worked the large room like a pro and got everyone pumped for the long night of music and speeches ahead of them. Per tradition, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame co-founder Jann Wenner addressed the crowd early on.

"I believe in the magic of rock and roll," he said. "That magic can set you free. Ladies and gentlemen, tonight you've entered a place where magic happens."

Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZ Top delivered the first induction speech of the evening, honoring the late blues guitarist Freddie King. King's daughter, Wanda, spoke warmly about her father. "He inspired so many young blues artists," she said. "I remember going to a show when I was 14 and meeting Stevie Ray Vaughan for the first time. He said to my dad, 'How can I play the blues like you?' My dad said, 'If you don't feel the blues, you'll never play the blues.'"

After a smoking blues guitar battle by Gibbons, Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks on King songs "Hideaway" and "Going Down," John Mellencamp came onstage to induct Donovan.

"He was my inspiration," Mellencamp said. "I wouldn't just listen to Donovan. I would live Donovan, which means I was stealing all my s*** from Donovan. Other artists -- and you know who you guys are -- called that being inspired." Donovan read a short poem, then played "Catch the Wind" and "Sunshine Superman" before duetting with Mellencamp on "Season of the Witch."

Bette Midler broke down into tears near the end of her speech about Laura Nyro, who died of ovarian cancer in 1997.

"In a world full of imitators saying 'fake it till you make it,' she was a complete original," said Midler. "She was in a league all her own. When you put her records on, you'd think they were made yesterday. She embodies what we all want to be, if only we had the guts...She was an ornament on the Earth. Everyone is so gratified to see this day finally come around at last." Sara Bareilles then honored Nyro with a gorgeous take on "Stoney End" on the piano.

Many non-performers were honored during the ceremony. Carole King inducted Don Kirshner, who was her boss and mentor during her days as a Brill Building songwriter in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Darlene Love honored the late record executive with an extremely powerful version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," which she sang with Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra. Later in the evening, Robbie Robertson presented the Award For Musical Excellence to Cosimo Matassa, Glyn Jones and Tom Dowd.

In the middle of the evening, the Hall of Fame made up for some past oversights by having Smokey Robinson induct the Blue Caps (who backed Gene Vincent), the Comets (Bill Haley), the Crickets (Buddy Holly), the Famous Flames (James Brown), the Midnighters (Hank Ballard) and the Miracles, who backed Robinson for the first two decades of his career. The surviving members of all six groups took the stage together, and it was very moving to see these largely overlooked musicians finally getting the credit they deserved for their huge role in rock history.

Public Enemy frontman Chuck D and LL Cool J teamed up to induct the Beastie Boys. "They still are one of the greatest live acts in music," said Chuck D. "They challenged the conventions in the music business and made up their own rules about what it means to be world class hip-hop cats...They always insisted (on) maturing as musicians and human beings." LL Cool J said that he owes his entire career to the Beasties. "I wouldn't be here today without them," he said. "The Beastie Boys actually played my demo for Rick Rubin in his NYU dorm room. A lot of people don't know that."

Adam Horowitz read the audience a letter from Yauch. "I'd like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike," he wrote. "They walked the globe with me. It's also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours."

Green Day initially seemed like a slightly odd choice to induct Guns N' Roses, but Billie Joe Armstong spoke extremely eloquently about group. "'Appetite For Destruction' is the greatest debut album of all time," he said. "Every song hits hard on all emotion levels and takes you on a journey through the seedy underworld of Los Angeles in brutal sequence...The thing that set them apart from everybody else was guts, heart and soul. Most important, they told the truth."

Not a single member of Guns N' Roses mentioned Axl Rose by name in their speech. Matt Sorum gently teased Steven Adler for somehow managing to get fired from Guns N' Roses for a drug addiction, and Adler gave a surprisingly brief speech that culminated with him quoting "We Are the Champions" by Queen. Slash admitted that all the drama building up to the ceremony almost caused him to bail, but his wife ultimately talked him into attending. Keyboardist Dizzy Reed and guitarist Izzy Stradlin opted not to come.

It was about 12:30 a.m. when Chris Rock stepped up to the podium to induct the Red Hot Chili Peppers. "A lot of people are upset that Axl didn't come tonight," he said. "But let's face it. Even if he was coming tonight, he wouldn't be here by now. Where the f*** is Axl?" He went on to explain that he first saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he tried to see Grandmaster Flash in Philadelphia, but walked into the wrong club. "My friends and I were like, 'What the f*** is this s***? There's a lot of white people in here,'" Rock said. "They came out and I couldn't understand a f****** word they said, and they had socks on their d****! I had never been to a white show before, so I thought all white groups put socks on their d****. Years later, they're one of the biggest groups in the world and getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have black ties on their d**** tonight."

John Frusciante may have stayed home, but former drummers Jack Irons and Cliff Martinez were in the house. At 1:00 a.m., the group (with three drummers) did a three-song set of "By the Way," "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie" and "Give It Away." "I haven't played with Cliff in 25 years!" Flea said to the crowd. "He's a beautiful man."

At the end of "Give It Away," Anthony Kiedis invited everyone back to the stage. Slash, Ron Wood, Billie Joe Armstrong, Kenny Jones and even audience member George Clinton crammed onstage for a euphoric finale of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground." In typical Hall of Fame fashion, the jam was completely chaotic, but everyone in the house seemed to be having a great time. The five-and-a-half hour show wrapped up at 1:30 a.m., and as the crowd poured onto the Cleveland streets in search of their cars or an after party, not a single person was talking about Axl Rose. It turns out they didn't even need him.

Lol at the losers being "but Slash, Duff, and Steven aren't part of the original line up". Lets just called Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Steven 'the line up that matters'. Who are we kidding here? No one else really gives a crap who was there before them or after them (with the exception of Matt and Gilby).

Guns N' Roses, Chili Peppers bring magic to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction

It was about 12:30 a.m. when Chris Rock stepped up to the podium to induct the Red Hot Chili Peppers. "A lot of people are upset that Axl didn't come tonight," he said. "But let's face it. Even if he was coming tonight, he wouldn't be here by now. Where the f*** is Axl?" He went on to explain that he first saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he tried to see Grandmaster Flash in Philadelphia, but walked into the wrong club. "My friends and I were like, 'What the f*** is this s***? There's a lot of white people in here,'" Rock said. "They came out and I couldn't understand a f****** word they said, and they had socks on their d****! I had never been to a white show before, so I thought all white groups put socks on their d****. Years later, they're one of the biggest groups in the world and getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They have black ties on their d**** tonight."

ROFLMAO

Lol at the losers being "but Slash, Duff, and Steven aren't part of the original line up". Lets just called Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash, and Steven 'the line up that matters'. Who are we kidding here? No one else really gives a crap who was there before them or after them (with the exception of Matt and Gilby).

let them masturbate mentally to that concept.

the fact is, Guns N' Roses didn't exist legally, the corporate body was not created until they signed their first contract claiming Slash, Steve, Duff, Izzy and Bailey were the members of the band. creating for the first time ever Guns N' Roses.

anything else is just mental masturbation.

did Slash make any subtle reference of Axl during the Ceremony?

I haven't seen any of the blatant promo for his new album that certain people were accusing him of going there just to do.

To me this letter and situation just show to the general public what a lot of us have known about Axl for years. He's not a stubborn bad-ass, he's a stubborn little child.

Children don't have a very developed sense of consequences for actions. Axl, on the other hand, was very well aware of the hissy fits his decision would lead to, he clearly foretold the hysterically negative reaction in his letter and it has obviously come to pass.

Its not a child who can take on opposition and blind hate of this degree and still stick to a difficult choice. You may not agree with his decision but it takes real guts to be willing to be hated to retain your own sense of independence.

Children can very often know the consequence of their actions and still do them. "little Axl, don't you eat the cookies from the cookie jar or you're grounded and there won't be any left for the rest of us". Now, the kid surely knows he doesn't want to be grounded but he'll go and do it anyway. The kid doesn't care so much the family doesn't get cookies or even so much that the family might get mad at him, he does care about getting grounded though but he'll do it anyway. Axl doesn't care so much the band and fans won't get what they want, send off the band and give one last hoorah for the fans of the real band, or even so much that the fans might get mad at him, he does care that people might go to his concerts less or insult him to his face though.

It is a child gets reprehended over and over for the same opposition/action and still does it.... as long as there's some personal gain, if not then he's a retard.

"When they say I'm like a screaming two year old on stage, they're right"

- W. Axl Rose

I read som eof your other posts about "slashites"...

Slash can play with anyone and its fine?

Adler was kicked out solely by Axl?

Who says those things?!

The face of GNR to the boring faceless masses who don't matter. Axl's real fans and the real GNR fans know who represents the band and what the band is all about.

Yeah, the face of GNR is the band showing up and accepting their induction into history. Obviously Axl is no longer the face of GNR.

Slash said, "We have new fans who have never seen the original lineup and they're pulling for us."

This is why Axl hates Slash. Just a wild stab in the dark.

Bullseye! Wonder who he is referring to as "we?" Does he have a mouse in his pocket?

And none of them were in the original lineup. :shrugs:

Jesus. Stop wanking over absurd technicalities. Yes, we know some mug called Tracii Guns, Ole Beich and Rob Gardner were in a band called Guns N Roses for all of 2 months, but what the fuck did they ever do? Original/classic/golden era, whatever you wanna call it.

I'm sorry that indisputable facts bother you so much.

Not really, but it sounded good.

"What the fuck did they ever do?" They named the band. That is hardly an insignificant contribution. The name still has people whining about it to this day.

Slash said, "We have new fans who have never seen the original lineup and they're pulling for us."

Bullseye! Wonder who he is referring to as "we?" Does he have a mouse in his pocket?

Jesus. Stop wanking over absurd technicalities. Yes, we know some mug called Tracii Guns, Ole Beich and Rob Gardner were in a band called Guns N Roses for all of 2 months, but what the fuck did they ever do? Original/classic/golden era, whatever you wanna call it.

"What the fuck did they ever do?" They named the band. That is hardly an insignificant contribution. The name still has people whining about it to this day.

My question is what the fuck did they ever do in terms of writing Guns N Roses songs? They have no writing credits and they didn't play on any GnR albums, so they did fuck all.

Edited by Original GNR

My question is what the fuck did they ever do in terms of writing Guns N Roses songs? They have no writing credits and they didn't play on any GnR albums, so they did fuck all.

So they should be ignored for what they did do? Doesn't make sense.

I'm not trying to give them credit that they don't deserve, you are trying to take any credit away from their existence.

They completely earned the right to be known as the original GN'R by naming the band.