OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

142901664.jpg

The blonde is hot :thumbsup:

To each his own! The brunette is beautiful, I like her dress too! Susan on the other hand should stay away from another platic surgery or cut off the botox (whatever she's doing), she's starting to look like a tranny.

Yeah who is the brunette? She is pretty hot :P

Yeah who is she?

If Ron Wood is getting some of that, good for him :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They quit and they were happy to let Axl take the blame for it and then pop up at Hof to take the credit and talk about the fans. If they cared about the fans they would never have quit. I guess they maybe didn't think it would turn out this way. But really they could have used Hof to set thongs straight but they chose the conceited glory.

I'm happy that other fans enjoyed it and it seems like a good night. Something about the whole thing doesn't seem right when Axl n Izzy feel so bad they can't even show up.

By that logic a battered wife shouldn't leave her husband if she loved her kids. And yes, I am being a bit hyperbolic, but you get the point.

Izzy, Duff, Slash and Matt all give pretty much the same run down on why they all quit: Izzy was done with Axl's behaviour, Slash's musical output wasn't what Axl thought GNR should be, Duff felt like Axl was becoming or had become a dictator, and Matt was fired by Axl. I don't begrudge Axl for not wanting a reunion if he truly doesn't like Slash as a person, but I don't begrudge Slash and others for waking away from a bad situation. These guys were once teammates, partners in crime, and now the guys from the previous band all recall a "it's my way or the highway" attitude from Axl. You could say I'm wrong, but look at the current band. Who gets to say anything about when new material is coming out besides Axl? Since '91 it's been all about Axl's demands when it comes to the how, when and why of Guns N' Roses.

As I mentioned in my other post, people who defend Axl give two reasons for why the band broke up. Either Axl wasn't interested into the music that the other members were into (ie. AFD/Guns sounding) or everyone just left. You can't have it both ways. If Axl wants to maintain that he had no interest in material that would later find home in either Snakepit, Loaded or Velvet Revolver, he can't then blame the other members for walking away if there was no room for compromise.

And you're right, something did feel a bit off with Axl and Izzy not being there. But they chose to miss the event, the others chose to show up. If something didn't feel right, wasn't the fault of those in attendance.

I'd also watch lumping Axl and Izzy into the same group when it comes to motivation. Judging from Izzy's statement, it sounded like he wanted to avoid the drama 'caused by Axl's 1000 word letter. Who will ever know but if Axl had attended, I'd be surprised if Izzy would have remained at home. Remember, according Izzy (and Duff and Slash), the big reason why Izzy left the band was because of Axl's antics. Regardless, it's a shame because in the end, the only real drama surrounding the evening was found in GNR fan forums and likely Axl's living room.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

And you're right, something did feel a bit off with Axl and Izzy not being there. But they chose to miss the event, the others chose to show up. If something didn't feel right, wasn't Slash's fault.

I agree with your whole post but I quoted this part because it stood out to me. It's true. Slash seems to be getting most of the blame with Steven not too far behind.

Duff is getting off easy. I haven't seen a single post criticizing him for showing up/performing. He is the mutually loved member between the people who chose sides (Axl or Slash). :lol:

And you're right, something did feel a bit off with Axl and Izzy not being there. But they chose to miss the event, the others chose to show up. If something didn't feel right, wasn't Slash's fault.

I agree with your whole post but I quoted this part because it stood out to me. It's true. Slash seems to be getting most of the blame with Steven not too far behind.

Duff is getting off easy. I haven't seen a single post criticizing him for showing up/performing. He is the mutually loved member between the people who chose sides (Axl or Slash). :lol:

I really don't know why people are criticizing them for performing in the first place. My only problem with that gig was the singer, seriously, I wasn't expecting Axl, but come on! Myles? I could make a list with better singers.

As for the "showing up" thing, I didn't want anybody to show up, RHOF doesn't deserve Gn'R, but it's not like I'm gonna start hating them for showing up.

I posted this in another thread, but my thoughts: I have to say everyone from Guns last night was the perfect example of class. They really did it right. Even "excitable" Steven was great. I still love Axl and the current Guns but last night was a class act by all those there. At an event like that its not about being the "best," but the guys that played last night stole the show. As much as I like the Chili Peps the Guns segment was truely great. Impossible to follow and although the Chili Peps rocked, the excitement in the venue clearly slowed after Guns performed. My bias aside, it is undeniable that Guns showed everyone how its done last night. Love him or hate him, Slash's guitar work on those 3 live songs they played last night was iconic. Kuddos to BJ Armstrong for a great speech as well. He even stuck up for Axl when the crowd got negative. I hope HBO shows all of GNR's induction. If their badass rocking performance sounds half as good on HBO as in person you all will be impressed. I told Duff when I saw him in the airport today that I was never more proud to be a fucking Guns N' Roses fan than I am after last night.

Edited by Bodi

The hall is like a fraternity for rock stars. There are behind te scenes politics we don't know about . I would also think that the bands being inducted have a chance to negotiate what new or replacent members may get in. Something in axls letter alluded to that I believe.

Makes sense to me.....

If anything, we could only find previews of the speeches and performances on different websites. Nothing officially comes out till the 5th of May.

cool, on HBO. got it, thanks

Edited by Jus10

Originally gave this its own thread, but given the abundance of HoF discussion twas decided it might be better to try and import it in here.

The ceremony's been something I've been thoroughly uninterested in since its announcement and I've pretty much kept quiet on my general feelings about it, which were that it was always going to be an industry back-slapping festival and neither really about Rock n Roll, nor really about giving anything back to the fans given the ludicrous exclusivity of the event itself and the limited range of its immediate broadcast.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm quite disturbed about the fact that with Guns N Roses, the induction only encompassed certain members of the band based on some abstract criteria I'm still having trouble deciphering really... The members inducted; Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy and Matt... how were they selected to be the only members of the rather lengthy list of people who've come and gone through Guns N Roses both before and after some of them?

Before I get a ludicrous number of posts saying "How could you expect them to induct Pitman?" etc. talking about how it's the most ridiculous thing to expect in the world... They inducted Rob Trujillo with Metallica without batting an eyelid. At the time, he'd been in Metallica for a significantly shorter period than Tommy, Chris and even Richard have been in Guns and they'd only put out two records during his tenure. The complete industry dismissal of post-1994 GNR and these guys who've given up a lot of time and effort touring the world seems like a much more brutal snub than anything which Axl did...

I can understand why acknowledging any of post '94 GNR would present the HOF with an enormous logistical problem, where then would they stop? But the degree of hypocrisy involved in the selection process means that the ceremony itself is not something I can view as honourable or admirable in any way.

I guess what I'm trying to ask ultimately is, is there anyone here who is absolutely accepting of Rob Trujillo's induction with Metallica who can also honestly justify Tommy, Chris and Richard not being inducted with GNR. If so, why?

I mean beyond the abstract field of personal opinion, i.e. "Metallica is still Metallica." That might work for you on a personal level, but overall we're looking at a similar scenario, a collective of musicians releasing music under a particular name where personnel has changed... this happens all the time in bands. Accepting it in this instance should be no more traumatic.

hi! saw your thread and was about to post this..

Though I see what you mean here, I do see why none of the post 94 Guns N' Roses members where inducted. As far as my knowledge goes, bands are inducted 25 years after the debut album of said band. I read somewhere that what they did with guns was to induct those who played in the band while they rised to fame, and who was a part of the band turning famous since there has been so many members. Therefore, no post '94 guys since none of them where there to help bring Guns N' Roses to worldwide fame.

About Metallica: Both Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted were also inducted. I guess they inducted Rob since he had played there for 8 years and participated on several albums by then :)

Yep, pretty simple logic... They inducted those, who played on AFD/Lies/UYI - the albums which are the reason why the whole world knows about Guns N' Roses.

Full speech by Billie Joe Armstrong :

“My name is Billie Joe, this is Mike and this is Tre Cool and we’re here to induct Guns N’ Roses into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The first time I saw Guns N’ Roses on MTV I thought, one of these guys could end up dead or in jail.

The opening riff of ‘Welcome To The Jungle’ is a descending trip into the underworld of Los Angeles. This ride was not about parties, glamour or power ballads. It was about the seedy underworld of misfits, drug addicts, paranoia, sex, violence, love, anger and the cracks of Hollywood.

It was a breath of fresh air! Needless to say, I bought the record. ‘Appetite for Destruction’ is the best debut album in the history of rock and roll. You can name a few others if you want, but tonight, Guns N’ Roses owns that crown for sure.

Every song hits hard on all emotional levels. It takes you on a trip through the seedy underworld of Los Angeles in brutal sequence: ‘Welcome To The Jungle,’ ‘It’s So Easy,’ Nighttrain,’ ‘Out To Get Me,’ ‘Mr. Brownstone, ‘Paradise f—kin City,’ ‘My Michelle,’ ‘Think About You,’ ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine,’ ‘You’re f–kin’ Crazy,’ ‘Anything Goes’ and ‘Rocket Queen.’

(They were) jamming in a sweaty hole in the wall, writing songs on pizza boxes and bar napkins, looking for a free drink and a place to crash and they did it for the love of playing loud ass rock and roll music. The thing that set them apart from everyone else is guts, heart and soul. And most importantly, they told the truth and painted a picture of the mad world that they lived in.

I f–king hated power ballads. I hated jock party anthems. As a young musician, I craved something more – ‘Appetite for Destruction’ delivered. Ultimately, they became the biggest and best rock and roll band and that was off one album.

After that, Guns N’ Roses delivered with ‘GN’R Lies’ — half live album and half an acoustic record. Most people think acoustic records might show off the more sensitive side of a rock musician.

[Laughs] It’s not sensitive. But this record made them come across as outlaws and they never lost their edge for one second. [Audience member yells out “I used to love her!”] [billie Joe responds]… But I had to kill her!

The song ‘Patience’ is an eternal ballad about love and anxiety as if the character was trying to talk himself off the edge of a 20 story building. There’s also the humor of ‘I Used To Love Her But…’ [Audience responds in unison “I had to kill her!”]

Who knows if that’s humor? As they say, every joke has its truth.

And ‘One In A Million,’ that’s when the sh-t hit the fan. It basically told the story of an ignorant farm boy that moved to a diverse unknown city and that’s all I’ll say about that…

And then they delivered not one, but two albums. ‘Use Your Illusion I’ and ‘Use Your Illusion II.’

The new GN’R records that had fans literally crashing the record stores to hear what Guns had come up with next. These records showed off a wide range of rock anthems — ‘Right Next Door To Hell,’ ‘You Could Be Mine,’ to grand piano ballads like ‘November Rain’ and ‘Don’t Cry,’ then taking the listener into unknown head trips that maybe a serial killer could understand?

This era of the band took them to new global heights, touring arenas and stadiums, big ass expensive videos and public pretties, outcry, meltdowns, controversy and playing in countries that Duff can’t even remember being in — all the ingredients of a great rock and roll band.

Steven Adler, your drumming on ‘Appetite’ was perfect. It was like the perfect combination between slamming hard rock songs and laying into a great groove. It’s f–king unbelievable man, it’s great.

Matt Sorum. You took over seamlessly and you brought in [Armstrong pauses]…….what did you bring in? You brought in new dynamics and power and your first gig was Rock in Rio….welcome to the band!

Dizzy Reed, you play a mean keyboard – keep up with the good job. [Armstrong gives a possibly sarcastic thumbs up]

Duff McKagan. The Seattle transplant punk rock kid. You’re like Johnny Thunders with a bass. The bass line to ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ is so good, you can sing along to it. And you got a great family over here, all proud of you and s— and you were in a band called The Farts.

Izzy Stradlin. Wherever you are, I hope you can hear me right now. You’re probably driving an RV across Egypt right now. You’re like the Miles Davis of rock and roll. The way you played and weaved with Slash was an effortless craft. You’ve got that f–kin’ Ronnie Wood mojo, I’ll tell you right now.

Gilby Clarke – I love you, where are you? [Looking towards Clarke in the crowd.]

Slash — while every guitar geek in L.A. was riding on the coattails of Eddie Van Halen, you took a totally different approach. You bridged the gap between Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Joe Perry and you brought it into your own modern era. I can immediately identify your leads and riffs because you embodied them. Your guitar playing is an extension of your heart and soul. To see you without a guitar and a top hat is just plain weird.

You know, originally, they wanted Green Day to play Guns N’ Roses songs. I’ve got a 13 year old son who’s learning how to play guitar from YouTube. So he’s playing like Strokes songs and he’s getting really good at it. They asked us to play and I thought ‘I can learn how to play ‘Paradise City’ from YouTube, yeah, because my son’s doing it.’

And there was this 12 year old kid on Youtube playing ‘Paradise City’ – he was a better guitar player than I could possibly ever be and I just thought to myself, ‘Guys, we are not going to play… there’s no way we could do this justice — it’s impossible.’

Thanks for making me look bad in front of my 13 year old son, Slash! And let’s see, who am I missing? [Crowd starts booing, presumably in response to Axl Rose's absence]

No, shut the f–k up, shut up, shut up! This man’s a bad ass f–king singer. He’s one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone. Your lyrics are heartfelt, passionate, angry and you tell the truth, no matter what the cost.

Your vocal range goes from a quiet whisper to a powerhouse, until you’re screaming bloody murder. And you’re f–king crazy. Hey, most singers are crazy — I can vouch for that. But you know, being in a band, it’s a very complex thing. You go through eras and chapters of your life.

Most people don’t go through any eras or chapters. They just sit around and watch TV and do the same thing over and over again, every single day. But being in a band, your eras and your chapters are your albums. That’s your craft. You can name that time of your life, to coin a phrase.

That’s an era of your life right there. You talk about where you were at when you wrote this song, you talk about where you recorded it. You talk about the first time that you ever played it. This is your life. This is our lives. This is what we do.

But sometimes, you gotta look back at the old chapters if you want to move forward. And the reason why you have to look backwards, is to know where you f—in’ come from.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Guns N’ Roses!"

Don't think he was particularly defending

This is the impression that I got.

I dont think the "crazy" comments were all that respectful and could easily have been avoided.

My impressions exactly - can't say for sure of course, but I don't think Axl would really have liked that speech. He already knows he's one of the greatest front-men ever. Implying that he's crazy at the HOF induction wasn't exactly respectful.

Also, I think its incorrect of people to try to think that Axl's decision was just about the past, it was also about the present and future of current GN'R, regardless of whether people value it or not.

This.

Edited by The Archer

Heh, what a freaky situation. There's this Guns n' Roses run by Axl Rose, and then this other Guns n' Roses playing on some award ceremony. It's so weird! But the "other" GnR did sound pretty good. I still would prefer a new album from Axl over this lame induction thing.

There's only one Guns N' Roses and then there are old members who covers Guns N' Roses songs.

I really don't know why people are criticizing them for performing in the first place. My only problem with that gig was the singer, seriously, I wasn't expecting Axl, but come on! Myles? I could make a list with better singers.

As for the "showing up" thing, I didn't want anybody to show up, RHOF doesn't deserve Gn'R, but it's not like I'm gonna start hating them for showing up.

So tell me kid, why don't the RHOF deserve GnR? It's an honour for legendary bands. And while you - some stupid internet fan - is sitting at home making excuses for yourself and Axl, the likes of Green Day and Rolling Stones members embrace the event like a worthy ceremony. Why don't you give Ron Wood a call and tell him how stupid the RHOF actually is.