Greatest Hits back on US charts

rylz

this must really boil axl,s piss , no matter what he does with the current line up the world just wants the original line up

I don't understand how you can make that inference. The current line-up doesn't have any songs out yet, let alone enough material for a "greatest hits". It would be interesting to see how well CD sold at $0.25 though.

It didn't set the charts on fire when It was 1.99 . I don't think they could give enough away for free and count them as sold to even make a difference.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart-watch/chart-watch-extra-top-albums-last-10-years-181452729.html

GH made #25.

Guns N' Roses, Greatest Hits, 5,161,000. This is the best-selling greatest hits album of the last 10 years, beating out Elvis Presley's Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits (4,805,000) and Michael Jackson's Number Ones (4,753,000). The album contains six top 10 hits, including the chart-topping "Sweet Child O' Mine." Released: March 2004. Top 200 rank: #144.

Its about album sales...

Here are all albums that have sold 5 million or more copies in the last 10 years.

LOL :rofl-lol:

I was about to point how bad are those albums, like usher, nickelback, lavigne, swift, carey etc etc etc... untill i realised its about sales, and not quality :thumbsup:

Edited by AGS

Sales do not equal quality - you are correct.

But they do equal supply fans with music that they want.

Norah Jones is number one - I don't find her music interesting at all - but I still appreciate that she is a great artist and that millions of people love her. Same thing with the other artists you mentioned.

I don't listen to Lavigne, Nickleback or Usher - but millions of people love them. So I'm glad they fill a music niche.

Music is all about personal taste. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think it sucks or they have no talent. It's just not my cup of tea.

Pop music popularity is based on what the youth and young adults at the time are enjoying. When I was a kid, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany were huge. Every decade seems to have sugar coated pop dance music that the kids of that generation like. For awhile it was Britney Spears and Chrsitina. Now I guess it is Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

Ten years from now, people will be looking at the top 10 list and saying "oh, those guys really suck." Well you may think they suck and have no talent, but 8 million other people love their music. It's all subjective. The die-hard Usher fan would probably say that GnR sucks. Just their personal opinion.

Personally, I enjoy all types of music. I've got everything on my IPOD from Hanson's Mmmbopp to Prince to Megadeth to Josh Groban to GnR to Cinderella to Alishia Keys to Buddy Holly...well you get the point. I'm at work and the last song played is Play That Funky Music White Boy followed by Jealous Guy by John Lennon. I can't imagine being tied down to one genre.

80k at .25 per copy is only 20k in cash, I'm glad to see them up there but it's not like it's braking the bank seeming as the rest are regularly priced 175k at $15 = $2,625,000. Quite the difference. plus at .25 a CD what would GNR's cut be of that

80k at .25 per copy is only 20k in cash, I'm glad to see them up there but it's not like it's braking the bank seeming as the rest are regularly priced 175k at $15 = $2,625,000. Quite the difference. plus at .25 a CD what would GNR's cut be of that

I don't think how much money the band is making off the sales is what's important here...I think it's more rewarding just to know that people are still buying this album, almost 10 years after it came out, especially in a time where almost no one buys cd's anymore! Everyone downloads music, so the fact that they're selling albums is fuckin amazing I think.

I don't think how much money the band is making off the sales is what's important here...I think it's more rewarding just to know that people are still buying this album, almost 10 years after it came out, especially in a time where almost no one buys cd's anymore! Everyone downloads music, so the fact that they're selling albums is fuckin amazing I think.

I think the sale is for download only Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chinese is at #325 :thumbsup:

I'd be able to take this post more seriously if there wasn't a Taylor Swift GIF as your avatar. Ugh. One of the only people I have zero respect for.

But anyway, thanks for the valuable contribution. :thumbsup:

Looks like you're pissed off because CD was a commercial failure, not my fault :thumbsup:

Chinese is at #325 :thumbsup:

I'd be able to take this post more seriously if there wasn't a Taylor Swift GIF as your avatar. Ugh. One of the only people I have zero respect for.

But anyway, thanks for the valuable contribution. :thumbsup:

Looks like you're pissed off because CD was a commercial failure, not my fault :thumbsup:

Hmm, nope. I always knew it would be a commercial failure. Nice try.

does anybody seriously consider CD to be among the best album of the past decade?

You know what? Yes, yes, I do. It's a fantastic album. This album, Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death, and Carrie Underwood's Some Hearts are my favorite albums of the decade. And Bruce Dickinson's Tyranny of Souls comes pretty damn close, too (not a bad song on that album). But I realize CD wasn't appealing to a lot of people, and it had a lot of strings attached and all that jazz, so I didn't shit a brick when it wasn't there. I was surprised to see even GH up there, and it sold a lot of copies. I thought that was interesting.

I was really hoping this would lead to a discussion of GH's album sales, not an "lolCD" fest. But hey, if you want it to go that direction, be my guest. :drevil:

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

I see CD as more like Exile on Main Street it will become a respected album in time. GNR has moved beyond being a band, it's like a cultural artifact. So people are snapping up the GH like would a Stones hits album. Even if you don't care you still need to know GNRs hits. GNR have taken over from U2 as the hot live act to see.

Chinese Democracy had such diversity in the songs. I mean you had a song like Shackler's Revenge, and a song like Catcher in The Rye. You had epics, like TWAT, and Prostitute, you had rockers like CD and Better. CD is one of the most underrated albums of all time, it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Chinese Democracy is a true rock treasure, a great album and if you don't agree, then you are just wrong.

Chinese Democracy had such diversity in the songs. I mean you had a song like Shackler's Revenge, and a song like Catcher in The Rye. You had epics, like TWAT, and Prostitute, you had rockers like CD and Better. CD is one of the most underrated albums of all time, it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Chinese Democracy is a true rock treasure, a great album and if you don't agree, then you are just wrong.

The fact is that no matter how bad the critics wanted to rake Axl over the coals, you have to scour for a bad review. I think he expected the backlash to be really bad, but he slowly came out and discussed it. I think he should have held off on the chats until people got to listen to it well enough to discuss more of the songs.

It demands repeated listenings, it's not something you can like right off the bat. I think anything you like that fast, you get tired of just as quickly.

The past decade was not filled with classic albums, but there's been some good ones here and there. We're back in an era of songs over the artists. Not a lot of band loyalty.

I never thought Chinese Demoracy was meant to be a success, with all that money spent they were lucky Best Buy paid for its debts. I do think it is one of the best album of the 2000's. I put off listening to it for a long time until finally my curiosity got the best of me and I downloaded of. I end up liking it enough to get the CD. It has become one of my favorite albums.

Part of the reason I never got into it is because I was disappointed Buckethead left and they got some new guy. I mean yeah I wish Finck was still around but I am glad to have the CD.

I just think the record company pulled a New Coke and wanted Chinese Democracy fail, but even most critics couldn't give it a bad review. For the most part they were impressed that Axl didn't make the album as grand as they thought it was going to be. The album restrained itself unlike the Illusions when they pulled all the stops. He just spent all that time and money to make another album the way he wants it.