Slash says Guns N Roses will not play at the RNRHOF

ApocalypticLove

You do understand that was a joke on Matt, right? I do consider him a former member regardless of what Axl may have said in the press release...

And I have never advocated that the current lineup should have anything to do with the induction, I fully agree that this night is about the legendary AFD lineup. But I also do not think it would be a great idea to play together just for the sake of playing together when almost all that was great with GN'R anno 1988 is dead and buried decades ago. It could be ugly. It would be sad. It could tarnish the legacy.

Well Slash, Duff and Matt are still tight and playing well and I'm sure Izzy'll manage fine so the only weak link in that scenario would be Axl.

It would be a lot worse than how the current version of Guns N' Roses play those songs. You do realize that what made Guns N' Roses anno 1988 so great was NOT how they played the songs technically, but the passion, dedication and complete disregard for everything else they infused the live performances with? And you do realize that these qualities were lost decades ago. Today it would just be old, bloated guys living in the past trying to recreate some songs that are as distant from them as their own youth. And even more important, it would sound weak compared to the current firecracker of a band.

No, they shouldn't perform, and they don't have to. The induction is not about what they are today, but the greatness of what they once were. They shouldn' take focus away from that and onto what they have become, lest they ruin the legacy.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do understand that was a joke on Matt, right? I do consider him a former member regardless of what Axl may have said in the press release...

And I have never advocated that the current lineup should have anything to do with the induction, I fully agree that this night is about the legendary AFD lineup. But I also do not think it would be a great idea to play together just for the sake of playing together when almost all that was great with GN'R anno 1988 is dead and buried decades ago. It could be ugly. It would be sad. It could tarnish the legacy.

Well Slash, Duff and Matt are still tight and playing well and I'm sure Izzy'll manage fine so the only weak link in that scenario would be Axl.

Or the lack of chemistry between them. Especially between Slash and Axl.

I really don't see that being a problem! If anything I can see Axl pulling out all the stops just to try and outshine Slash if if was to happen.

They had no chemistry in 1993 either. You can get the idea of them doing separate things by getting some bootlegs from that year. Slash did his thing and Axl did his. It doesn't matter though, if they don't want to play, then don't do it but to think Slash is guilty? :shrugs:

To sort of redeem myself from the earlier blasphemy I should say that Axl is probably the one stopping it from happening, if they have actually communicated. I just don't believe they have communicated about this at all. I believe Duff. But that is fitting! As I said somewhere else: they are celebrating the legacy of being a dysfunctional, non-communicative band by being dysfunctional and non-communicative. I like it.

But if they did start communicating and trying to make it happen, Axl would put his foot down. I'd like to say he'd do it because he wants to preserve the legacy, but I am afraid the truth would be his animosity against what the other guys have become.

Or the lack of chemistry between them. Especially between Slash and Axl.

They had no chemistry in 1993 either. You can get the idea of them doing separate things by getting some bootlegs from that year. Slash did his thing and Axl did his. It doesn't matter though, if they don't want to play, then don't do it but to think Slash is guilty? :shrugs:

Slash isn't guilty. If he hadn't said this, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't've played anyways because it's against both his and Axl's interests. This could damage his upcoming projects with Myles and Axl's GnR. I'm surprised Slash really stepped up and said it before Axl. If he just stayed quiet and waited for Axl to refuse, it'd be Axl's fault on the media. I guess he doesn't want to take the chances, I dunno.

Today it would just be old, bloated guys living in the past.

Y'know I'm really glad you said that! :lol:

bf55435e.jpgarticle-2113145-121B4D3F000005DC-951_634x668.jpg

Dude, sometimes you present valid, intelligent arguments. But other times, like this post... It just seems like just like bashing Axl and the current band for the sake of pissing people off. Really.

no

the stones will soon be performing again and they won't tarnish their legacy

same for gnr if they played again... some things never die

some nugnr fans don't want to witness gnr's greatness, that's all

Dude, sometimes you present valid, intelligent arguments. But other times, like this post... It just seems like just like bashing Axl and the current band for the sake of pissing people off. Really.

I love Axl I just think referring to the old band as old and bloated is a bit rich when Axl's not exactly a stick insect these days. I mean if Axl can still pull off mammoth three hour shows at 50 then I don't understand why age and physical condition would be used as an argument against the old band, especially when the old guys are in pretty good shape right now. Sorry about the picture but it paints a thousand words as they say and shows that Soul Monster's argument was without foundation.

I really don't see that being a problem! If anything I can see Axl pulling out all the stops just to try and outshine Slash if if was to happen.

OR we could end up with Dublin 2010 Axl and VR-reunion Slash. It could be the coldest performance in GnR history.

...then again if anything like that ^ happens then at least the songs might sound good... <_<

:shrugs:

well said dazey !

some people here are so hypocritical

I mean if we're going to argue conditioning then Duff is in the shape of his life right now, Matt looks great, Izzy looked in good shape last time we saw him and Slash looks fine too. Most important of all they can still play brilliantly. So what if there's nobody there to add the elephant noises and Nintendo bleeps, Gn'R was never about that and that shit sounds terrible on the old songs.

What's with all the hate for Slash now? Slash was/is hoping someday the original GN'R will get together for one show and have fun. Axl wants to do things his way. Slash wants to make peace with Axl and Axl doesn't. It isn't Slash's fault they are not playing. Blame it on Waxl Rose and his whambulance driver because one day out of the rest of his life he can't make peace with Slash. As was stated before in this thread, Slash was most likely a messenger, telling people what his manager said, that is all. If Axl really wanted to play the HOF and wanted the original lineup to play I'm sure Slash would hop on stage faster than Superman flying around the world. Jebus people, you take things way to much out of context. The original GN'R is not playing because of Slash or "things he said". It's Axl who is to blame. All you "Axllites need to quit sucking Mr. Rose's nutsack. I am no Axlite or Slashalite, (even though I may sound like a Slashalite right now). I like the new band as much as the old band, I like all the former members and the work they have done over the years, but t solely blame Slash, wtf? He just said they are not playing. Does that mean he doesn't want to be on stage with Axl, does that mean he doesn't want a reunion? Hell no. He simply just said "no performance".

And how do you know that Axl doesn't have sufficient reason for being angry with Slash. What if that's the truth? What if the truth is that Slash is the one to blame for this...then you can't just blame Axl because he refuse to forgive him. I'm not saying that I know anything, but I'm just saying "what if".

I absolutely include Axl in that statement, and I am very happy for what Duff has achieved.

But what I'm saying is not that you should include Axl but more that you shouldn't include the other guys cos they aren't in bad shape.

no

the stones will soon be performing again and they won't tarnish their legacy

Because their legacy is not inflated and because their legacy is not based on features of live shows that they are not able to replicate today.

same for gnr if they played again... some things never die

The greatness of the AFD lineup died in 1989. What does seem to curse us for all eternity, on the other hand, is some fans delusions about that version of Guns N' Roses ever returning and being as great as they once were.

some nugnr fans don't want to witness gnr's greatness, that's all

I do, and luckily YouTube is a mere button push away...

I love Axl I just think referring to the old band as old and bloated is a bit rich when Axl's not exactly a stick insect these days.

I love how people here are so entrenched in the polarized version where you are either against the old lineup or against the new lineup, against Axl or against Slash, and so on, to the point of not realizing that I am round-handed enough to include Axl in my derogatory characteristics of the old lineup.

I mean if Axl can still pull off mammoth three hour shows at 50 then I don't understand why age and physical condition would be used as an argument against the old band, especially when the old guys are in pretty good shape right now.

Because the legacy of GN'R is about lean, young guys playing they asses off because they were hungry and wanting to take over the world, and did it as a cohesive unity. Not old, bloated guys who hate each other and merely do it to go through the motions and please selfish, delusional fans.

Sorry about the picture but it paints a thousand words as they say and shows that Soul Monster's argument was without foundation.

What you should be sorry about is not understanding my argument...

well said dazey !

some people here are so hypocritical

I mean if we're going to argue conditioning then Duff is in the shape of his life right now, Matt looks great, Izzy looked in good shape last time we saw him and Slash looks fine too. Most important of all they can still play brilliantly. So what if there's nobody there to add the elephant noises and Nintendo bleeps, Gn'R was never about that and that shit sounds terrible on the old songs.

You still don't understand that the greatness of AFD era GN'R was not their technical prowess (which was often muted by drugs) but the energy of the shows, the passion, the danger. All that is gone now. And people would be sad to realize that what is left is just 5 disjointed guys, hating each other, with no more magic. Let the legacy rest in peace!

Because the legacy of GN'R is about lean, young guys playing they asses off because they were hungry and wanting to take over the world, and did it as a cohesive unity. Not old, bloated guys who hate each other and merely do it to go through the motions and please selfish, delusional fans.

We're talking about two or three songs at an awards ceremony! It's not going to tarnish anything! If anything the only thing it's going to do is mess up things for NuGuns cos the fans will want more of the real thing!

Also if they were never about technical prowess then why choose the new band over the original cos that's all they bring to the table. They don't have any real chemistry as a proper band either so what's the difference?

Oh and once again who are these old bloated guys who hate each other? You keep saying that but Axl's played with Izzy and Duff recently and he's on good terms with Matt too. None of the old guys apart from Slash and Axl have a problem with each other at all and we're told that things are thawing a little there too so your argument is pretty weak.

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

The sad truth is that to the vast majority of people outside of these forums the Gn'R name has meant very little these past 15 years so he'd hardly be harming his legacy for a one night only affair giving the fans what they want to see.

Uhn, seeing those old guys fumble their way through some iconic GN'R song after the current band has triumphantly played them all across the world the way they should be played, could most definitely hurt the inflated legacy that the old "original" lineup has. So, better not to perform than risk tarnishing the legacy.

LOL- you cant be serious??

There is genuine fear that one little kickass jam by the old guys would undo the last 15+ years in the public's eyes it seems

I absolutely agree with you. I'm fairly confident that a jam at the HOF would negate the current band to the general public's eye (Not that they get a whole bunch of respect from the general public to begin with anyways). I'm not worried my views would change or anything, but I don't even think it'd need to be a great jam for the current band to be negated in the public's eye, just seeing Axl and Slash together even if it sucked would do the trick.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm fairly confident that a jam at the HOF would negate the current band to the general public's eye (Not that they get a whole bunch of respect from the general public to begin with anyways). I'm not worried my views would change or anything, but I don't even think it'd need to be a great jam for the current band to be negated in the public's eye, just seeing Axl and Slash together even if it sucked would do the trick.

Totally true! They wouldn't even have to play well as long as Axl's voice was on form it wouldn't matter if Slash was playing a two string banjo and Duff was passed out in the corner it would still be a bigger deal to 90% of the fans than the current band. The new guys awesome but the old band are Guns n' Roses. :shrugs:

Today it would just be old, bloated guys living in the past trying to recreate some songs that are as distant from them as their own youth.

I think that would be the case if they fully reunited but, one-off performance that could've lasted around 15 minutes? No.

I absolutely include Axl in that statement, and I am very happy for what Duff has achieved.

So... Axl would be an old, bloated guy who lives in the past trying to recreate some songs that are as distant from him as his own youth if he plays with the original members at RNRHOF but if he keeps doing what he does with the current band, he... isn't? :confused:

We're talking about two or three songs at an awards ceremony! It's not going to tarnish anything! If anything the only thing it's going to do is mess up things for NuGuns cos the fans will want more of the real thing!

No, all the people who are big fans of Guns N' Roses today but never saw them back in the 80's and don't know why GN'R was so great but rather it has become trendy to be fans of the band, will be shocked to see that that old lineup perform the classic songs but without anything of that mysticism, or that passion, that made them legendary back in the days. Sure, the lineup can probably play the songs technically better than before, because they are not in alcoholic and narcotic stupor, but they will never be able to summon the things that made GN'R more than just a good rock and roll band. And as a consequence of people actually understanding what made GN'R great, the inflated legacy will be the victim.

Also if they were never about technical prowess then why choose the new band over the original cos that's all they bring to the table. They don't have any real chemistry as a proper band either so what's the difference?

Again, I am not arguing that the current version of the band should play, the current version has NOTHING to do with this induction. My argument is merely that the old lineup shouldn't play.

Oh and once again who are these old bloated guys who hate each other? You keep saying that but Axl's played with Izzy and Duff recently and he's on good terms with Matt too. None of the old guys apart from Slash and Axl have a problem with each other at all and we're told that things are thawing a little there too so your argument is pretty weak.

Axl and Slash are pretty bloated and puffy and are on anything but good terms.

So... Axl would be an old, bloated guy who lives in the past trying to recreate some songs that are as distant from him as his own youth if he plays with the original members at RNRHOF but if he keeps doing what he does with the current band, he... isn't? :confused:

No you misunderstand! It's all the new music he's talking about! ........oh, hang on............................. :lol:

Axl and Slash are pretty bloated and puffy and are on anything but good terms.

Axl stands at the front and sings and Slash can stand behind him and play guitar for the 15 minutes or so it would last. What's the big deal? I'm sure everybody else in the band would be having too much fun to notice.

What Axl is currently doing with the new lineup is to fullfill his musical vision, although rather amateurishly ;). We all know Axl has released new music in the last years that are far away from what GN'R in the 80's created. He obviously have an interest in evolving himself and exploring new musical avenues, something Slash and Steven never seemed eager or able to do, and Duff seems to have abandoned altogether. The fact that Axl plays old songs on concerts is probably entirely out of popular demand. So yes, my statement stands.

Axl stands at the front and sings and Slash can stand behind him and play guitar for the 15 minutes or so it would last. What's the big deal? I'm sure everybody else in the band would be having too much fun to notice.

I don't know what the big deal is. I was merely pointing out that seeing the old lineup embarrassingly try to recreate its greatness would be a bad idea since it risks tarnishing an otherwise handsomely inflated legacy, something that should be obvious to anyone who has followed the band from the beginning and is able to rationally dissect the reasons for their popularity. You guys are the ones getting your panties all up in your crotch because of these words of wisdom and creates all the fuzz, not me.

The fact that Axl plays old songs on concerts is probably entirely out of popular demand.

No it's because he's released 14 new tracks in 15 years and he's got bugger all else to choose from! :lol: Playing Chinese Democracy from start to finish every night would not only get old pretty quickly it would also reduce a 3 hour show to little over 70 minutes. On the positive side though less fans would miss the last bus home! :lol:

Edited by Dazey Does Dallas

Again,

The point Smooth is trying to twist to help defend his lord and savior Axl, implies to those with common sense that Axl and Slash themselves haven't talked face to face, or man to man about their game plans. Doesn't mean their managers weren't talking to each other in terms of a performance. Each to their own.

I'm confident that Slash wouldn't throw a solid no to a performance, unless a solid no was given to him. NOTHING in this article means, or indicates he's the one refusing to play. He's just the messenger in this scenario. And actually, I think he should be commended for not keeping the fans in the dark any longer.

Really? You're confident about that? Do you remember the 20th Anniversary of AFD and the Key Club gig? Yes, Axl did not show up for that. But, Slash independently elected to not perform.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=78428

Once I started getting phone calls and e-mails from all over the world about this gig, I said, 'You know what? I can't support it as such 'cause that's not what it is.' So I went down there but I didn't wanna get up and play because I didn't wanna fuel that any further. So I think Duff got up and played, and Izzy got up and played, and it was what it was, but I don't see any reunion happening for real."

Ali