Live chat with Bumblefoot - March 27, 2012

SoulMonster

Here's what Bumblefoot said (thanks to bumblecool):

[4:32 PM] soulmonster: uhm, serious question, next record: brand new songs or old CD session songs?

[4:32 PM] bumblefoot1: soul - both maybe? Really don't know. I'd bust out the Chi Dem stuff and start fresh and

[4:32 PM] bumblefoot1: fast.

[4:33 PM] bumblefoot1: Tis what I'd do. But I'm not running this. Razz

Shit, so there really is nothing concrete planned for the next album. Fucking Axl really needs to be a bit more proactive about this... <_<

I think even if there were concrete plans, Ron is either not privy to them or won't divulge them until requested. As Ron said himself, he is not running this. I think the inner workings of the band are not one typical of a traditional band. Sure they are friends and all that but it's clear to me that Axl steers the whole ship. The rest of the guys probably have more of a clue what is happening behind the scenes but not to the extent that Axl does.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what Bumblefoot said (thanks to bumblecool):

[4:32 PM] soulmonster: uhm, serious question, next record: brand new songs or old CD session songs?

[4:32 PM] bumblefoot1: soul - both maybe? Really don't know. I'd bust out the Chi Dem stuff and start fresh and

[4:32 PM] bumblefoot1: fast.

[4:33 PM] bumblefoot1: Tis what I'd do. But I'm not running this. Razz

Shit, so there really is nothing concrete planned for the next album. Fucking Axl really needs to be a bit more proactive about this... <_<

I think even if there were concrete plans, Ron is either not privy to them or won't divulge them until requested. As Ron said himself, he is not running this. I think the inner workings of the band are not one typical of a traditional band. Sure they are friends and all that but it's clear to me that Axl steers the whole ship. The rest of the guys probably have more of a clue what is happening behind the scenes but not to the extent that Axl does.

That's true, we have to remind ourselves that even Ron found out that Chinese was coming out when the official announcement was made, same as us. I guess the same could happen this coming fall, should Axl broker a deal to release the rest of the Chinese sessions, and these guys would be none the wiser until it was actual news.

Let's hope that Axl playing his cards close to his chest is still the case, because if it isn't, I think it's safe to bet that we're still a good few years away from hearing new GNR music, if ever.

Edited by sofine11

we have to remind ourselves that even Ron found out that Chinese was coming out when the official announcement was made, same as us. I guess the same could happen this coming fall, should Axl broker a deal to release the rest of the Chinese sessions, and these guys would be none the wiser until it was actual news.

Well, we have a few quotes from band members saying the remaining CD sessions songs are not in a completed state and needs more work for completion. Therefore I would think the band members would be involved in that process (e.g. extra recordings, replacing ex-members contributions, etc) and that if so, Bumblefoot would know about it. Hence, I don't think anything is happening right now regarding work on the next record. Unless what is missing are just additional vocal tracks from Axl and mixing. If so, he could be working on that now without Bumbles knowing about it.

Edited by SoulMonster

we have to remind ourselves that even Ron found out that Chinese was coming out when the official announcement was made, same as us. I guess the same could happen this coming fall, should Axl broker a deal to release the rest of the Chinese sessions, and these guys would be none the wiser until it was actual news.

Well, we have a few quotes from band members saying the remaining CD sessions songs are not in a completed state and needs more work for completion. Therefore I would think the band members would be involved in that process (e.g. extra recordings, replacing ex-members contributions, etc) and that if so, Bumblefoot would know about it. Hence, I don't think anything is happening right now regarding work on the next record. Unless what is missing are just additional vocal tracks from Axl and mixing. If so, he could be working on that now without Bumbles knowing about it.

Or Bumble's parts are already done from 2006 sessions? No one knows :shrugs:

Or Bumble's parts are already done from 2006 sessions? No one knows :shrugs:

He did say that he recorded on what he called "a good handful" of tracks that weren't on Chinese. So who knows? Maybe DJ is all that's missing, if he appears on them at all.

Hmmm I always though that process was very ambiguous. The members are not privy to most song titles. Robin was quoted as saying he got tired of working on songs with titles like "instrumental 34". Also, Axl has said that he gets the instrumental parts down to where he wants and then records vocals last. So the bandmembers wouldn't necessarily be around when the final vocals are recorded. Also the comping of the solos would further throw things into the mix. Ron jams out in the studio for 3 hours and months later Axl makes a solo out of it, Ron could be oblivious to the fact that the solo is complete. Not to mention the plethora of solos, riffs, piano parts, basslines etc that are in the vault that can be mixed and matched at Axl's leisure. That's why I don't take what the band members say as total gospel in regards to the status of the next release. Axl seemed candid that we would get CD II a year after CD I, signifying the notion that it was very much near completion. He later backed away from that though. Also in 2006 he said they were working on 32 songs, 26 are nearly done with 13(which became 14) slated for the final record. That was 6 years ago, surely the rest of the songs would be done by now...

I think having Going Down, Oh My God and Silkworms (at least they actually rehearsed it before the 2011 tour) on the setlist isn't a coincidence.

Does it mean we'll have the new album? Doubt it. IMO, they will release those songs and maybe some others as extra tracks. Kinda like an EP, but in some kind of iTunes Specials way. Maybe it will be bundled with Chinese rerelease? I dunno... But I still think it's possible, even after all this time.

So it seems Going Down is an original song and not that old blues cover.

How did MSL know that? At this point, also other titles like cuban skies or blood in the water might as well be real. :question:

I'm starting to believe that he possesses these leaks.

Hardly. Knowing titles is way different than having the actual songs.

That was 6 years ago, surely the rest of the songs would be done by now...

One would like to think so, but it is Axl we are talking about and other band members have clearly stated that those songs are NOT finished. I tend to believe them when they say such things, rather than what would be natural with a normal progression.

Also in 2006 he said they were working on 32 songs, 26 are nearly done with 13(which became 14) slated for the final record. That was 6 years ago, surely the rest of the songs would be done by now...

And that was before Ron, Frank, Axl (and whoever else) hit the studio again in late 06 & early 07. That's 18 tracks that have to be finished by now, 5 years later.

Edit: Why can't they just take the best 12 or 14 tracks out of those 18 and just put them out? Seems like the obvious thing to do at this point...

Edited by sofine11

I think having Going Down, Oh My God and Silkworms (at least they actually rehearsed it before the 2011 tour) on the setlist isn't a coincidence.

Does it mean we'll have the new album? Doubt it. IMO, they will release those songs and maybe some others as extra tracks. Kinda like an EP, but in some kind of iTunes Specials way. Maybe it will be bundled with Chinese rerelease? I dunno... But I still think it's possible, even after all this time.

So it seems Going Down is an original song and not that old blues cover.

How did MSL know that? At this point, also other titles like cuban skies or blood in the water might as well be real. :question:

I'm starting to believe that he possesses these leaks.

Hardly. Knowing titles is way different than having the actual songs.

We know 'Going Down' was listed on the RIR song list. It is not far-fetched to think that it could have been ready for an earlier concert prior to MSL's scam video, and that MSL heard of it from someone in crew or management or other person who knew the band was thinking about playing it. That is a lot more plausible explanation than that someone hacked into email accounts, extracted hundreds of emails with sensitive information, and then sent it to MSL, afterwhich this great fan of the band would then try to coerce the band into following through with some alleged plans lest he disclose this illegally obtained information to the public domain. As always, the most plausible explanation is usually the correct one. Ocham's razor!

Also in 2006 he said they were working on 32 songs, 26 are nearly done with 13(which became 14) slated for the final record. That was 6 years ago, surely the rest of the songs would be done by now...

And that was before Ron, Frank, Axl (and whoever else) hit the studio again in late 06 & early 07. That's 18 tracks that have to be finished by now, 5 years later.

Edit: Why can't they just take the best 12 or 14 tracks out of those 18 and just put them out? Seems like the obvious thing to do at this point...

Funny thing is in 2001(or 2000), Axl told Kurt Loder they were working on 70-80 songs.... Man, what the fuck...

Also the comping of the solos would further throw things into the mix. Ron jams out in the studio for 3 hours and months later Axl makes a solo out of it, Ron could be oblivious to the fact that the solo is complete. Not to mention the plethora of solos, riffs, piano parts, basslines etc that are in the vault that can be mixed and matched at Axl's leisure.

Just something else Ron said: he said at least 90% of Bucket, Robin and Ron solos were comped by Axl and Caram. He said that when he actually heard the finished versions of his solos, he was like "WTF???" and had to learn it all again, which he also said it was "the hardest thing to learn". Obviously, Ron also said he much prefered how the solos sound live because its more organical.

So yeah, I think you're right. As far as we know, Caram and Axl could be editing new songs as we speak. Does it mean we'll have a new album soon? Sure not.

We know 'Going Down' was listed on the RIR song list. It is not far-fetched to think that it could have been ready for an earlier concert prior to MSL's scam video, and that MSL heard of it from someone in crew or management or other person who knew the band was thinking about playing it. That is a lot more plausible explanation than that someone hacked into email accounts, extracted hundreds of emails with sensitive information, and then sent it to MSL, afterwhich this great fan of the band would then try to coerce the band into following through with some alleged plans lest he disclose this illegally obtained information to the public domain. As always, the most plausible explanation is usually the correct one. Ocham's razor!

Yeah. One fine example: the guy who hacked Scarlett Johansson's phone and leaked her nude pics got busted. Wikileaks are already having a hard time with those kind of things. If Axl's camp was really afraid of something, they could sue MSL's ass or just leave him with FBI to find out who sent him the stuff. If anything, the blackmailing attempt to leak personal emails and documents if the band didn't follow "the plan" should be illegal already.

Funny thing is in 2001(or 2000), Axl told Kurt Loder they were working on 70-80 songs.... Man, what the fuck...

Really. :crazy:

Not being funny but, if they had 32 songs, I wouldn't want the next album to be Chinese Democracy rejects.

Axl's a strange bird, but he's not stupid. We knew long before Chinese that they were working on multiple albums. Do you really think Axl would blow his wad and put all the very best tracks on the first album? I certainly don't. I think The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, etc. are gonna be incredible. These aren't "rejects".

Right now, it's just a matter of Axl getting his shit together and figuring out how to get them out.

Not being funny but, if they had 32 songs, I wouldn't want the next album to be Chinese Democracy rejects.

Axl's a strange bird, but he's not stupid. We knew long before Chinese that they were working on multiple albums. Do you really think Axl would blow his wad and put all the very best tracks on the first album? I certainly don't. I think The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, etc. are gonna be incredible. These aren't "rejects".

Right now, it's just a matter of Axl getting his shit together and figuring out how to get them out.

Definitely not rejects. Weren't they on the track listing for the 2006 release?

Edited by Coma16

No, even back then when Sebastian Bach heard and was raving about The General, Axl told him it wouldn't be out until 2012, meaning certain songs were meant for Chinese, others for the followup album.

Axl is spreading out the best tracks, he is not going to put them all on one album, he is showing restraint. He wants to save some really good tracks for the next album. That is his vision. His vision may not be one perfect album but two or three.

I also think the leaks affected the tracklisting. It didn't make sense to leave any of the leaks off the record and put in anymore unheard tracks, given that the leaks were already out and of decent quality. Had Riad not have leaked, it probably would have never been released... Songs like Better and TWAT would be classified as A side tracks but who knows if they were even intended for CD I originally.

No. They are not finished just because all the recordings have taken place. I believe actually recording the parts is the fast part of the process. Axl's tinkering afterwards is what takes time.

No, even back then when Sebastian Bach heard and was raving about The General, Axl told him it wouldn't be out until 2012, meaning certain songs were meant for Chinese, others for the followup album.

Yeh, 2012 was meant to be for the 3rd release... At the time it felt like 2012 was a millennium away but here we are, with not even a second release ha!

Or Baz don't know diddly

28b5wxy.jpg

Edited by Coma16

No. They are not finished just because all the recordings have taken place. I believe actually recording the parts is the fast part of the process. Axl's tinkering afterwards is what takes time.

I agree that Axl's constant tinkering could keep these tracks in limbo for God knows how long, and could very well be the reason we're not head-banging to Soul Monster right now.

Or Baz don't no diddly

28b5wxy.jpg

Sorry = Doom metal!!

He seemed pretty serious when he said Axl has 4 albums of material. Ashba further reiterated that by saying 4-5 albums worth of songs more recently...

Also the 2006 CD case and tracklisting were never verified as legitimate.

Edited by Young_Gun