Greenday to induct GNR

VillageGorillaHead

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you know GNR never said who they wanted to be inducted by, how?

I was just guessing, is that so terrible?

Nah, don't you realize the internet is serious business?

It doesn't matter who inducts,induction is already written in brass on the sidewalk.

I actually liked a song on "American Idiot" and it could be worse!

At least it's not Brett Michaels or BonJovi :lol:

Send All Gripes,Annoyances and Complaints to these nice people :D

Twitter @rock-hall

Also Members Hotline 212-515-8425

Membership@rockhall.org

Schedule

Friday, April 13

• 8 p.m. Appetite for Induction concert: The music of this year's Rock Hall inductees is performed by local artists, including members of Afternoon Naps, Dreadful Yawns and Roue, at the Beachland Ballroom, 15711 Waterloo Road, Cleveland. Tickets are $5; call 216-383-1124.

• 10:30 p.m. Duff McKagan: Ex-Guns N' Roses bassist reads from his new memoir, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)," with multimedia accompaniment at House of Blues, East Fourth Street and Euclid Avenue, Cleveland. Tickets are $20 at the box office and livenation.com, or call 1-800-745-3000.

Saturday, April 14

• 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Free Admission Day: Visit the Rock Hall at no charge.

• 8 p.m. 27th Annual Rock Hall Induction Ceremony: The Beastie Boys, Donovan, Guns N' Roses, Laura Nyro, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Small Faces/Faces, the Blue Caps, the Famous Flames, the Comets, the Crickets, the Midnighters, the Miracles, Freddie King, Don Kirshner, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matassa are enshrined at Public Auditorium. Sold out.

• 8 p.m. Simulcast Party: Watch the inductions on screens throughout the Rock Hall. (An edited version of the ceremony will be televised on HBO in May.) Tickets are $20 at the museum box office and tickets.rockhall.com

sold out.

Also don't forget Rollingstone and Jann Wenner!

We want to hear from you! Here's how to get in touch with the Rolling Stone staff:

Rolling Stone 1290 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10104 - 0298 (212) 484-1616

Click here to view the RollingStone.com Staff

To submit a letter to the editor regarding something you read in Rolling Stone magazine, contact letters@rollingstone.com To reach the editors of Rolling Stone or RollingStone.com with a press release, story idea, correction or news tip, contact rseditors@rollingstone.com For all publicity queries, contact publicity@rollingstone.com For permission to reprint ANY Rolling Stone content (covers, images, stories) contact permissions@wennermedia.com

It doesn't matter who inducts,induction is already written in brass on the sidewalk.

Bon Jovi has been around longer and sold more records than GnR, so they wouldnt induct GnR.

Bon Jovi has been around longer and sold more records than GnR, so they wouldnt induct GnR.

Gee,wonder why he Isn't inducted yet :lol:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PyM4uAJBujA

Edited by sailaway

Oh god, BonJovi. I can't stand them! :laugh:

Oh god, BonJovi. I can't stand them! :laugh:

Ditto that :laugh:

Maybe Billie Joe Armstrong will act as impromptu lead singer for Slash Duff Adler and Izzy (if he shows)

Billy Joe was on Nurse Jackie last night. It's a show with Edie Falco on Showtime.

He played an addict that died after inhaling some shit! lol

God, no. If Axl doesn't show up or if he doesn't want to perform with the original band, then no one should sing for him. That would just be so wrong! And Axl would have to get his lawyers to sure everyone! lol

The only people are going to pissed about musicians playing GNR material during GNR's induction ceremony are the people on this forum. I'm a huge Axl fan, but for fuck sake, to not play any GNR music during the induction makes no sense.

For most people this board, Axl is GNR. But most people on this forum don't represent most people who are/were fans of the band.

As much as I'm not a huge Green Day fan (though they do have some good tunes), I could see Bill Jo singing on something like My Michelle or It's So Easy.

Don't forget, just because Green Day is giving the induction speech doesn't mean they're the ones going to stepping up to the stage if Slash, Duff or whoever feel the urge to play. There are going to be many other legendary musicians present to step up and handle any missing personnel. Are you saying you'd be opposed to Steven Tyler filing in for Axl? What about Chris Cornell?

If Axl doesn't want to respect the fans and perform, that's fine. But the music should be respected and hence represented in some manner. Axl doesn't have a veto in these matters no matter how many of you see it that way.

Cheers,

Andrew

haven't seen a single other option that would have fit

Alice Cooper..

He got the band from the get go.They were mutual fans of each other.GnR opened on an Alice tour.

Alice performed on the Illusions...they mutually recorded a version of Under My Wheels.

Iggy Pop...go watch the video of "Home"...Iggy got it as well.

GnR guys are HUGE Iggy fans.

I am not a GD fan however some of these choices are a little funny to me. HUGE Alice fan right here, again wierd, why? It is 2012 not the 70's anymore, and none of these older bands were influenced by GN'R. Green Day is known by the entire the music industry these days they "get it" in that respect. It actually brings a whole bunch of younger fans in to check out GN'R with the GD fans watching. Green day is eligible in 2 years time, they have been around long enough to be able to do this. I love Cooper, Iggy, Steven Tyler, Elton etc etc etc but they were never influenced by Guns as they preeded them.

If anything this has us talking, something that is good for a discussion forum :)

Only read that now, but this was one of the smartest posts in this topic. I agree it does make a lot of sense to get GnR inducted by a band that is popular today and not some icon from the past. I also don`t understand all the dislike for Green Day. They are an immensly popular band, with a long history, their live shows are awesome and they actually write lyrics with a meaning - as compared to 98% of today´s other shit.

Alice Cooper..

He got the band from the get go.They were mutual fans of each other.GnR opened on an Alice tour.

Alice performed on the Illusions...they mutually recorded a version of Under My Wheels.

I am not a GD fan however some of these choices are a little funny to me. HUGE Alice fan right here, again wierd, why? It is 2012 not the 70's anymore, and none of these older bands were influenced by GN'R. Green Day is known by the entire the music industry these days they "get it" in that respect. It actually brings a whole bunch of younger fans in to check out GN'R with the GD fans watching. Green day is eligible in 2 years time, they have been around long enough to be able to do this. I love Cooper, Iggy, Steven Tyler, Elton etc etc etc but they were never influenced by Guns as they preeded them.

If anything this has us talking, something that is good for a discussion forum :)

Only read that now, but this was one of the smartest posts in this topic. I agree it does make a lot of sense to get GnR inducted by a band that is popular today and not some icon from the past. I also don`t understand all the dislike for Green Day. They are an immensly popular band, with a long history, their live shows are awesome and they actually write lyrics with a meaning - as compared to 98% of today´s other shit.

Very well said both of you.

All this actually reminds me of a TSI? review I read some years back that essentially boiled down to: "As a punk album? It's sub-par. As a rock album and return to something closer to GN'R's AFD sound? It's a winner.". Sort of how I look at Green Day. I get and acknowledge that they're not the purest, most genuine or best "punk" band to ever walk the streets- but that doesn't mean they aren't a fairly decent and accomplished rock band in their own right.

Second- you guys are exactly right. To me it's huge that a prominent post-Nirvana/post-Grunge band like Green Day stepped up to the plate to induct GN'R. It's potential access and exposure to a fanbase that was brought up believing GN'R was useless hair metal or some crap. Some of them will get a bit of an "education" now. Nothing to really complain about IMHO...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Alice Cooper..

Yeah Green Day makes much more sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmFXHy03xA

I was thinking... Axl wouldn't really like the situation where the greenday guy introduces GnR and then people will see Slash, Duff and Steven going on stage to get the award. He wouldn't like GnR being represented by them. So there's a possibility he'll be there, just to keep GnR image attached to him. I would go a little further and say if the guys perform without him, there will be law suits.

Usually whoever inducts a band or artists, says how they were influenced by the band. I hightly doubt GD were influenced by GNR. What are they going to say? How GNR changed the face of 80's rock? Yeah, very true also changed the look of rock bands too. The only other bands I can think of before them who were the bad boys of rock were The Rollings Stones. They lived the rock style to the hilt and their rock music was very different from the other UK pop back in the 60's. GNR were the same way. Their look and music style was very different and much more intense. The 80's needed to be shaken up.

I think another rock band or musician should have been the one to do the honor. Either Steven Tyler or even M.Shadows from A7X.

This is going to be interesting, but not in a good way.

Usually whoever inducts a band or artists, says how they were influenced by the band. I hightly doubt GD were influenced by GNR. What are they going to say? How GNR changed the face of 80's rock? Yeah, very true also changed the look of rock bands too. The only other bands I can think of before them who were the bad boys of rock were The Rollings Stones. They lived the rock style to the hilt and their rock music was very different from the other UK pop back in the 60's. GNR were the same way. Their look and music style was very different and much more intense. The 80's needed to be shaken up.

I think another rock band or musician should have been the one to do the honor. Either Steven Tyler or even M.Shadows from A7X.

This is going to be interesting, but not in a good way.

I think Green Day is an ok choice, but agree that it does seem a little random. One thing I think Green Day will be able to talk about is the fact the many people consider Appetite as one of the first records that really fused punk rock into metal into rock n' roll. If you then consider that punk went mainstream in the mid 90s (and Green Day was the at the forefront of this), then you can consider Gn'R as really paving the way for that evolution in rock. No matter whether you like Green Day or not, it's impossible not to recognize that they have been relevant for 15+ years if you go from Dookie all the way through American Idiot (which was the most successfull rock opera since Tommy), so if you're looking at younger bands that are a lock for the RRHOF, Green Day is probably a solid choice.

Billy Joe Armstrong confirmed via twitter tonight that Green Day has a trilogy coming out. My buddy is a MASSIVE GD fan, personally, I just like Dookie, but he's the one who told me about this.

https://twitter.com/#!/bjaofficial

He's absolutely pumped, but honestly, I'd literally be on his same level of excitement if Guns simply tweeted "we're hitting the studio to record next week, first single will be out on June 31st" ..that's literally such minimal information for a band to give out, such minimal news for any normal band. But for us Guns fans, that'd be a fuckin revelation.

So the question is, why the hell can't we just have a normally functioning band, Axl?

Billy Joe Armstrong confirmed via twitter tonight that Green Day has a trilogy coming out. My buddy is a MASSIVE GD fan, personally, I just like Dookie, but he's the one who told me about this.

https://twitter.com/#!/bjaofficial

He's absolutely pumped, but honestly, I'd literally be on his same level of excitement if Guns simply tweeted "we're hitting the studio to record next week, first single will be out on June 31st" ..that's literally such minimal information for a band to give out, such minimal news for any normal band. But for us Guns fans, that'd be a fuckin revelation.

So the question is, why the hell can't we just have a normally functioning band, Axl?

Green Day, no matter your opinion of them, is a band. Three members who are friends and partners who enjoy making music together.

Guns N' Roses, is a business run by Axl Rose. Yes the employees he hires are talented and he gets along with them well, but they're at the mercy of him. He has too much power. In political science they call what Guns N' Roses suffers a "Collective Action Problem." This means exactly what it sounds like. They cannot act collectively because in reality they aren't a collective. However for a band to function there needs to be this collective action. Axl is the president in this model, and sort of a bad one. He is indecisive, hesitant, and a bit insecure. He's also paranoid. This doesn't make for a responsible or responsive leader, one who will encourage those around him be it band or management to cooperate properly. Another major issue is that there are 8(?) official members of the band as opposed to Green Day's 3. Coordinating 8 is far more difficult than 3, especially when many members have lives and careers outside of Guns N' Roses.

Basically. The difference between Green Day and Guns N' Roses is Axl Rose.