Axl is not to blame

Kaneda

Let me first say that it sucks as a GNR fan to hear so many fans telling Axl to fuck off. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. Everyone is entitled to their feelings about this just the way Axl is entitled to his. The big problem here is the lack of professional support surrounding Axl. Don't get me wrong, Axl Rose is a highly intelligent, articulate and well-spoken individual. But when it comes to making good professional decisions, he almost needs someone to save him from himself. While I respect the transparency of his letter, with it coming clearly from the heart, you can tell he's undecided about his decision. Almost like he's arrived at his decision reluctantly. But that's where his publicist and management need to step in and say, "hey, maybe this isn't the best way to go about it." Clearly they weren't expecting the level of backlash that will now follow. Forget the die hard fans cursing him out, the mainstream media is going to have a field day with this. And here's what that now means for Axl and the new band he is protecting:

1. It means all of the momentum they just created is gone

2. It means people will have even less respect and support for the new band

3. It means people will continue to blame Axl for taking away the band they loved

4. It means the new band members will be dragged through the mud unnecessarily

5. It means nobody will care anymore

Sucks. A poor decision.

But what I don't get is this...Axl seemed to be in good spirits lately. He was saying nice things about Slash. Where is all of this anger coming from? Somebody close to him is pushing his buttons. Somebody close to him is leading him to the point of no return. I don't know exactly who it is. I don't want to speculate. But the brand Guns N Roses has lost a lot of value today in the eyes of consumers. I'm not sure how much longer they can continue to disappoint and expect people to keep coming back for more. A sad day for all of us.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post.

This could have been a huge positive publicity boost for Axl, and for his current version of the band.

Instead, he is going to get destroyed in the press and by most music fans.

Which is good for the posters on here who live by the mantra of "everybody is against Axl, no matter what he does he gets bashed." But what they don't realize is that his decisions are what causes ALL the bashing!!!!

The entertainment media are out to get him. The labels are out to screw him. 28 managers/producers have been out to screw him. The casual music fan is out to get him. Promoters are out to get him. Arena owners/organizers are out to screw him. Even (according to some posters) GnR fans are out to screw him. There is one common factor in all those sentences.

My favorite rock singer of all time. But man, he continues to shoot his career in the foot.

I hope you realize that in reality the public has short term memory. Maybe this might rub the die hards the wrong way, but the general public will all but forget about this within ten days or so at the most. That's the truth.

People have been predicting the same impending doom for years now. Words like "backlash" and phrases like "no one will care anymore" and the generalized "this is the end"-type statements have been uttered countless times.

I really just don't understand why people convinced themselves the HOF was going to be some magical exception. :shrugs:

This is the same forum that predicted the end of the band when they heard Ron Thal was playing a guitar shapped like a Foot and a Bee on stage at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Somehow, I think they're going to pull through this non event just fine. The unfortunate truth is that nobody at large really cares. Most people outside of the forums were expecting a sideshow, and that's what it's turned into.

This is the same forum that predicted the end of the band when they heard Ron Thal was playing a guitar shapped like a Foot and a Bee on stage at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Somehow, I think they're going to pull through this non event just fine. The unfortunate truth is that nobody at large really cares. Most people outside of the forums were expecting a sideshow, and that's what it's turned into.

This board overreacts a lot. It's also the same forum that said the band was done after their power was cut at Reading. They were also done for sure after the Dublin incident. The show will go on, and will attract the same amount of fans as it has every year since 2001.

This board overreacts a lot. It's also the same forum that said the band was done after their power was cut at Reading. They were also done for sure after the Dublin incident. The show will go on, and will attract the same amount of fans as it has every year since 2001.

Not exactly true.

A small group of posters who bash Axl on a daily basis might have thought and predicted that.

Maybe 10% of the board? 5%?

The majority of us were embarrassed by it, but knew that it was just another black eye on GnR, but that the band would continue.

So the board didn't think the band was dead, just a few posters did. Big difference.

With all due respect, get a grip.

Nothing would have halted momentum and made people care less about the current band than the deluge of pics and coverage of Axl at an event/table/podium with former bandmates while every VT and presenter celebrates the acheivements of that former line-up.

His course of actions results in the least of all evils for the current band, while confirming clearly where his commitment lies.

The induction backed Axl into a corner, and will now force him to take considerable stick for a situation entirely not of his making.

I re-read the post, still related to the letter which has it's own thread but anyways. I fail to see how any of this will affect the band today. More people were attending the RIR gig then are interested in this event on Sat. More people watched RIR then will watch this event (obviously not even live) RIR was a nitemare for the band yet they are still selling tickets left and right.

3. It means people will continue to blame Axl for taking away the band they loved

1 I think it means a few people will be pissed off for a bit untill the next thing happens, certainly does not mean much in the grand scheme of things to come...

2 The respect of the new band does not change for me anyway, why would it?

3 That would not change if he showed up and even played with them!

4 That will always happen for some who miss people who left, quit or got fired years and years ago

5 no one? Tell that to the thousands buying tickets to future shows, I think you meant YOU don't care anymore, which is not surprising since you disliked the band, then flip flopped, now back at it. No surprise here

Can you respond and tell me yo uactually believed Axl and the original band were going to perform on Sat together? Axl is like the letter says damned if he does and damned if he doesn't he decided not to attend, it is not the end of GN'R nor the end of the fans. It is almost as if you guys expected more from nothing, it is his first statement regarding attending.

EDIT: I might add you have no idea who helped him with the letter if anyone.

Edited by gunsguy

And here's what that now means for Axl and the new band he is protecting:

I completely agree, but I respect that Axl remains Axl no matter how detrimental it is to his career.

Blame adler

I sorry no! If Axl would have wanted to attend in the first place none of Adlers statements would have made a difference. While I do not agree with his decision I respect his right to make it. But the blame or the phrase falls on Axl no one else.

And here's what that now means for Axl and the new band he is protecting:

Does any of this matter?

- Axl had the most professional and best in the business, at the end of the day though, he's still boss, they say something smart but he disagrees.... fired. End of that issue.

- Beta and her spawn clearly hate Slash as much as Axl does. Beta is now managing Axl. If the old band got together would Beta be managing? Hell no. So, Beta is like his mother... her family like his family... they hate Slash... Beta's current income and standing professionally depend on no reunion with Slash, etc.... it's not hard to see Her family DOES have influence on his decisions, clearly as family does. It's also not hard to see her family DOESN'T respect Slash and DOES have self interest in keeping things the way they are.

Clearly I'm making some assumptions but those dots are so big and so easy to connect if you think about it. If he's getting influenced by either a ) family b ) management c ) people he is around a lot of the time then it's obvious the influence will be to keep the course, fuck Slash, and fuck the old band as a, b and c are the same fucking people.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

It really was a no-win situation for him. Why destroy what you have been building for 15 years, just to sell your soul for the pleasure of record execs. and so-called "fans"?

Do you know how uncomfortable and awkward it would have been for them to be on stage together, let alone play?

It really was a no-win situation for him. Why destroy what you have been building for 15 years, just to sell your soul for the pleasure of record execs. and so-called "fans"?

Do you know how uncomfortable and awkward it would have been for them to be on stage together, let alone play?

Yes but who put Axl in this position?

Let me first say that it sucks as a GNR fan to hear so many fans telling Axl to fuck off. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. Everyone is entitled to their feelings about this just the way Axl is entitled to his. The big problem here is the lack of professional support surrounding Axl. Don't get me wrong, Axl Rose is a highly intelligent, articulate and well-spoken individual. But when it comes to making good professional decisions, he almost needs someone to save him from himself. While I respect the transparency of his letter, with it coming clearly from the heart, you can tell he's undecided about his decision. Almost like he's arrived at his decision reluctantly. But that's where his publicist and management need to step in and say, "hey, maybe this isn't the best way to go about it." Clearly they weren't expecting the level of backlash that will now follow. Forget the die hard fans cursing him out, the mainstream media is going to have a field day with this. And here's what that now means for Axl and the new band he is protecting:

Sucks. A poor decision.

But what I don't get is this...Axl seemed to be in good spirits lately. He was saying nice things about Slash. Where is all of this anger coming from? Somebody close to him is pushing his buttons. Somebody close to him is leading him to the point of no return. I don't know exactly who it is. I don't want to speculate. But the brand Guns N Roses has lost a lot of value today in the eyes of consumers. I'm not sure how much longer they can continue to disappoint and expect people to keep coming back for more. A sad day for all of us.

rock3rock3rock3

Slash did. I thought he covered this with his posts years ago and all of his comments ever since.

Slash did. I thought he covered this with his posts years ago and all of his comments ever since.

No one has put Axl in this position but himself. That is the problem with him it is always someone elses fault. Slash, managers, promoters, record companies, and the list goes on. It is amazing how other musicans can function and yet the whole world is out to get Axl Rose. As I said earlier I support his right to make the decision but for once just man up and say it was my decision and no one else it to blame. As for the people trying to blame Beta and her family just who do you think has put Beta and her family in the position of power that they have?

@Kaneda

I think you are being a little over the top here. People have said a million times over about GNR "Ah Axl has done it this time" "no one is going to care" "he's blown it" and they are always wrong. Sure the media will hate on Axl, but honestly whats new? They look for a reason to crucify him. Say what you will about Axl, but I think what he has done is pretty amazing.

Telling RNR HoF, thanks but no thanks, I'd rather keep my integrity. That's pretty Rock N' Roll to me. I'm not sure when Rock became about selling out, and having no integrity. But I'm glad Axl has stuck to his guns.

@Kaneda

I think you are being a little over the top here. People have said a million times over about GNR "Ah Axl has done it this time" "no one is going to care" "he's blown it" and they are always wrong. Sure the media will hate on Axl, but honestly whats new? They look for a reason to crucify him. Say what you will about Axl, but I think what he has done is pretty amazing.

Telling RNR HoF, thanks but no thanks, I'd rather keep my integrity. That's pretty Rock N' Roll to me. I'm not sure when Rock became about selling out, and having no integrity. But I'm glad Axl has stuck to his guns.

Stuck to what guns...I read that whole letter, and I am still not sure I understand what his point is...I think he doesn't know how to handle the situation, so he avoids it...

- Axl had the most professional and best in the business, at the end of the day though, he's still boss, they say something smart but he disagrees.... fired. End of that issue.

- Beta and her spawn clearly hate Slash as much as Axl does. Beta is now managing Axl. If the old band got together would Beta be managing? Hell no. So, Beta is like his mother... her family like his family... they hate Slash... Beta's current income and standing professionally depend on no reunion with Slash, etc.... it's not hard to see Her family DOES have influence on his decisions, clearly as family does. It's also not hard to see her family DOESN'T respect Slash and DOES have self interest in keeping things the way they are.

Clearly I'm making some assumptions but those dots are so big and so easy to connect if you think about it. If he's getting influenced by either a ) family b ) management c ) people he is around a lot of the time then it's obvious the influence will be to keep the course, fuck Slash, and fuck the old band as a, b and c are the same fucking people.

Exactly. These people are bad news. Axl is so afraid of being manipulated, well, that's exactly what's happening.

I think people are getting a clearer picture of the situation. You can't fake integrity or pick and choose. Look at Steven shooting his mouth off and the disrespect shown to the CD era. Look at it from Axls point of view, would you play with people who tried to destroy you?