Guns trivia

rumandraisin

Did you know...

that Scraped was supposed to be 2nd on Chinese Democracy, wedged in between Chinese and Shacklers, imagine how cool that would have sounded. "Nothings gonna stop us!"

anyone got any interesting snippets like that?

Oh man, Scraped is an awful song.

Might of been good if editing wasn't crap

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know...

that Scraped was supposed to be 2nd on Chinese Democracy, wedged in between Chinese and Shacklers, imagine how cool that would have sounded. "Nothings gonna stop us!"

No, its just an awful song. :rofl-lol:

-Axl's manager gave him samples of albums produced by famous producers in 1999 to help him get excited and pick a producer for the new album, axl rose didn't listen to the samples and instead ran them over with a car.

Like that one :rofl-lol:

That is a true story.

Did you know...

Also I think Axl needed to go over the vocals because he sounds like two cats having sex and the beginning is annoying as hell

Chinese Democracy isn't even close to the most expensive album ever made

Michael Jackson's Invincible cost $30 million to make

In reality though the most expensive album ever made was Mariah Carey's Glitter. She signed a $100 million, 5 album deal with Virgin Records. The first album on the deal flopped so badly that they bought the remainder of her contract out for $50 million. So that was a $70 million album, in essence.

Michael Jackson & GnR had the back catalog as collateral, so they could really put out what they wanted.

Mariah's credibility was damaged, and even though she kind of redeemed herself in Precious, her popularity's diminished, but a 22 year career is nothing to sneeze at. It was still a 70 million dollar payday.

The band discussed firing Axl with Alan Niven on at least one occasion, but to my knowledge nothing was ever actually done about it, and it also happened well before the signing over of the name.

According to Slash's book, the matter of firing Axl was discussed six times in GN'R, "very seriously" (page 217 of his book).

Alan Niven accepts that he told the band he would support them if they fired Axl and this was early in the game but Axl has said that he persisted with this idea after this as well. We dont know how close to Axl's acquiring of the name the last discussions about firing him occurred - but such discussions were certainly not a one-off thing.

Edited by rabia

Most of mine are probably well known by people on this forum, but anyway....

-The band supposibly fired axl once. (the reason he tricked them into giving him the GnR name).

He did not "trick" them. He acquired the name through a legal procedure, not by getting them high on drugs and then hypnotizing them into signing. They always had the option of going to the court if they were "tricked" into signing the name to Axl.

The first time Guns N’ Roses ever saw themselves featured in a Pandora Peroxide strip, was backstage at The Apollo in Manchester. That night onstage, Axl declared, “Hey, check out the latest Kerrang! - we made Pandora! This next song is dedicated to her”. To which, they played ‘Sweet Child Of Mine’. In attendance and reviewing, was then K! scribe, Malcolm Dome, who exclaimed at the time, “I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing!”.

Source!

Not sure which one that was, but this has to be the funniest imo!

guns%20n%20roses001-1.jpg

Slash drew the original gnr logo.

Nothing better than the original Gn'R logo.

Axl rose had a contest to give away his house in the early 90s.

Axl's manager gave him samples of albums produced by famous producers in 1999 to help him get excited and pick a producer for the new album, axl rose didn't listen to the samples and instead ran them over with a car.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

The only solo Paul Huge did was on Rocket Queen live.

He also played Think About You solo and leads.

Paul Huge was actually a good guitarist despite what Slash said.

Based on what?

Everyone said he wasn't good enough. Slash, Duff, Matt, even Tommy.

When did Tommy said this?

And I dont think its fair to say anything bad about his playing. Paul did an awesome job on bringing back Izzy's rhythm guitar approach: he actually played Rocket Queen's rhythm as the original, unlike Gilby who only did power chords.

Also, his guitar in The Blues was really good, with some remarkable guitar work. And Im not even talking about his writing and studio performance skills, because Im sure people would say that in studio anything could be done (which is again really unfair, but anyways).

IRS has the most versions, 4 all in all.

The 1999 demo, with Josh on drums and Paul and Robin on guitars

The 2002-ish demo with Brain and Bucket and god knows who else

The antiquiet leak, same as the album version only with Brain on drums.

The album version with franks drumming added

Did you know...

Also I think Axl needed to go over the vocals because he sounds like two cats having sex and the beginning is annoying as hell

Scraped kicks ass. The beginning sounds okay when Frank plays his drum groove through it.

The 2002 (IMO, its from 2004) version still had Robin and Paul. Robin did the mid solo and all those sliding notes during the slow parts. Paul played the clean guitar during the verses and probably the distorted guitar on the left channel too.

Also, the Antiquiet leaks didnt have Bumblefoot rhythm througout the song.

The 2002 (IMO, its from 2004) version still had Robin and Paul. Robin did the mid solo and all those sliding notes during the slow parts. Paul played the clean guitar during the verses and probably the distorted guitar on the left channel too.

Also, the Antiquiet leaks didnt have Bumblefoot rhythm througout the song.

Ahh man i've found out so much in the last 24 hours about who does what, and to think i used to be satisfied just using the album booklet -_- someone needs to put a thread together of everything post 1999 saying who does what, at what time and on what channel ;)

Based on what?

And I dont think its fair to say anything bad about his playing. Paul did an awesome job on bringing back Izzy's rhythm guitar approach: he actually played Rocket Queen's rhythm as the original, unlike Gilby who only did power chords.

Also, his guitar in The Blues was really good, with some remarkable guitar work. And Im not even talking about his writing and studio performance skills, because Im sure people would say that in studio anything could be done (which is again really unfair, but anyways).

For the record, I don't have a problem with Axl bringing in Paul to hang around with and help out with songwriting or whatever. Or even be a part of new Guns once the others left, if that's what he wanted to do. I mean, check out the writing credit for 'Back Off Bitch'. Paul was around for a long time. But what Axl did to Slash during the recording of Sympathy For the Devil was total bullshit. And it's not just about having Paul add guitar parts to Slash's work, it's how he basically told Slash and Duff that he was in the band, and fuck you if you don't like it.

As for Tommy's take, I believe this is from Spin magazine in 1999:

PAUL HUGE, guitar: Another childhood friend of Axl's, Huge is "the kind of guy who's always in the studio," according to temporary GN'R drum programmer Chris Vrenna. Another source says there's tension between him and Stinson because Huge "has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured."

Also found this quote from Tommy, although I don't know the source or context of where it came from:

"There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones."

For the record, I don't have a problem with Axl bringing in Paul to hang around with and help out with songwriting or whatever. Or even be a part of new Guns once the others left, if that's what he wanted to do. I mean, check out the writing credit for 'Back Off Bitch'. Paul was around for a long time. But what Axl did to Slash during the recording of Sympathy For the Devil was total bullshit. And it's not just about having Paul add guitar parts to Slash's work, it's how he basically told Slash and Duff that he was in the band, and fuck you if you don't like it.

I know, but that still doesnt tell anything about Paul's skills.

And I know you didnt say that, but I saw in another place people stating that Tobias recorded over Slash's lead, and thats not true at all. Even though Tobias had some leads with that mirror thing, as far as I know Slash solos or even rhythm were not modified or erased at all.

PAUL HUGE, guitar: Another childhood friend of Axl's, Huge is "the kind of guy who's always in the studio," according to temporary GN'R drum programmer Chris Vrenna. Another source says there's tension between him and Stinson because Huge "has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured."

Also found this quote from Tommy, although I don't know the source or context of where it came from:

"There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones."

I know those quotes, but they are not really about Paul's guitar skills IMO. Not saying the guy is a virtuoso, but he sure wasnt as bad as some people say.

Based on what?

I can understand bringing hometown friends in when you feel alone, but hiring old friends can lead to manipulative shit, too. What's kind of funny is Izzy was the one who took the biggest risk by moving to LA knowing no one there, and it made it easy for Axl to make fast friends and get in a band. Axl could never say Izzy used him, but I can see why Izzy resents Axl and couldn't take him anymore. I don't think he'd say they were all that close except when they were both in Lafayette, maybe during Hollywood Rose and the original formation of GnR. Once Duff was in, that whole dynamic changed.

Did Axl and Paul have a falling out? Does Paul still play music?

I know, but that still doesnt tell anything about Paul's skills.

And I know you didnt say that, but I saw in another place people stating that Tobias recorded over Slash's lead, and thats not true at all. Even though Tobias had some leads with that mirror thing, as far as I know Slash solos or even rhythm were not modified or erased at all.

Obviously we don't have much to go on, unless we can ever get our hands on some of those 1997-2002 demos. Certainly the fact that Paul left the band, and most of his parts were re-recorded, lends credence to the idea that he didn't provide any earth-shattering guitar parts. I still haven't seen or heard a single thing that would lead me to believe he was a capable guitarist for Guns n' Roses.

We have Axl's quote about Paul, but that was more about him helping and encouraging Axl to keep the band going during those dark days. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his skills as a musician.

The GN'R album Chinese Democracy took 14 years to make!

Depends on how you define 'make'.

True, April 1998-Jan 2007 isnt it?

It could have been out in 2002. Whatever happened that year, and the reasons why it was pushed into 2006-2008, are kind of ridiculous.

I think Axl had a "worst case scenario" with Chinese Democracy and with it being the last album under contract, milked it for what it was worth, because he knew there was no way Geffen was going to want to ever work with him, esp. after the Greatest Hits court shit.

Now he has some songs, he has a band that can play the shit out of anything you throw at them - put one song out over the summer and see what happens. He owns the songs, the master tape, can charge WTF he wants for it, and just have something to put on VEVO & You Tube.