Axl - as described by band mates

SoulMonster

Did Buckethead ever say anything about him? :xmasssanta:

IIRC, Buckethead once talked about how Axl gave him a rare leather face doll he'd been looking for for a long time and that he took him to Disneyland :confused::laugh:

Thanks again! I've just added the Leatherface doll quote. About Disneyland, I can't find any quotes from Bucket on that, but I do seem to remember Axl saying something about Bucket and Disneyland...Hmm...

Check out the Axl Rose MyGNR chats. I remember he answered a few questions about Bucket there.

I've been through them once looking for quotes, but I might have missed some...

Here's the new Buckethead quote on Axl:

Utennavn-5.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl: don't know about musically but I'm pro Disney. Go about once a year or so. Went w/Bucket a lot. It's nice to go somewhere where people allow themselves to be more in touch with a more innocent side of themselves at least for what seems like the most part.

Q: -do you like the little mermaid

A: We text. The whole breathing under water and no vagina make things a bit awkward but…

:rofl-lol: Ohhhhh...the Little Mermaid wasn't an ex-bandmate but I'm seeing where DJ's coming from with the Axl's jokes thing.

Christ, he had to answer three different Disney questions and someone asking him if he played Pokemon....no wonder Dexter stopped coming back :xmasssanta:

Edited by Flayer

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." - Matt Sorum

"I recorded him playing lots of awesome guitar parts back then [around 2001], I don't think people know what an original and cool guitar player he really is" - Chris Pitman

I hope there's a Tupac-style cleanout of Axl's vault in the years after his life is over...because even if he gets three more albums out, I'm sure he'll have buried far more than that.

I wanna hear him playing the guitar so bad. I'm curious to see what kinda player he is

i think it's just a joke

Both quotes are jokes?

Axl: don't know about musically but I'm pro Disney. Go about once a year or so. Went w/Bucket a lot. It's nice to go somewhere where people allow themselves to be more in touch with a more innocent side of themselves at least for what seems like the most part.

Aww, that's kinda cool. I've always wanted to go to Disneyland for that very reason.

Did Buckethead ever say anything about him? :xmasssanta:

IIRC, Buckethead once talked about how Axl gave him a rare leather face doll he'd been looking for for a long time and that he took him to Disneyland :confused::laugh:

Think that was in one of his newsletters or something, not a direct quote.

"Another band used the storage/rehearsal space [for Appetite for Destruction] next door to us and we could never remember their name...oh, wait, they were called the Wild... Dizzy Reed was in that band..." - Slash

"To the right of our [rehearsal] space was another one being used by a band called Johnny and the Jaguars...we later tapped their keyboardist, Dizzy Reed." - Duff

"A friend of mine is a keyboardist in a band called Johnny and the Jaguars..." - Axl

"He wanted to hire Dizzy Reed, the keyboardist from the Wild, the generic L.A. band who had practised next door..." - Slash

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: I'm having a blast with this...

:lol:

Great idea!

I took a look at some old files on my computer and also found these (unfortunately, I can't find the source of the first two quotes, but maybe someone else knows where they're from?):

"(Axl)'s completely crazy... Without the other four of us around, I wouldn't even want to imagine what the fuck would go on in his head. Or his life." -- Izzy

"Axl isn't really 24, he's a million of years... he`s seen everything." -- Izzy

"I never really knew, I guess. Just one of those things. On tour he had a real hard time finishing the sits. And he had a hard time getting onstage. So you're sitting there in the dressing room at a hockey rink and for, like, two hours the walls are vibrating while the audience is going, 'Bullshit! Bullshit!' That time goes _slow_ when you're sober. And they have to send a helicopter to the hotel to get him. He would just 'get ready,' and sometimes he would `get ready' for a long time. I don't know what goes on upstairs with him. To me it's simple. Get an alarm clock, ya know? There's a modern invention that seems to work for people. You set it, and then you wake up when you're supposed to." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

"We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

The second Izzy quote is from Guns N' Roses: In Their Own Words, I believe...

This is a really sweet idea. Great job man. One itty bitty thing though not to sound like a dick but it's sometimes hard to tell who said what. For example:

"It wasn't the backline holding up the show. In fact, by the time [Axl] was finally ready to go on, we were reduced to drinking coffee, we were so bored. . .and embarrassed [Philadelphia Daily News, June 2001]"

Now who said that! Hahaha being that it's from 2001 is it someone from the new band talking about the new tour? I dunno! hahaha

I sort of think new band because the person said "coffee" instead of "whiskey" lol

Great job man, really good stuff there.

Didnt read Duff's book, so i thought this was pretty interesting:

In the end I just went to the door of his hotel room. People from his entourage stopped me in the hallway. "You can't go in right now, man," said one. "He's about to get in the shower to get ready for he show tonight." "I've seen him named before," I said. The door to Axl's room opened a crack. "I thought I heard your voice out here," said Axl. He wasn't naked. He motioned with his head and said, "Come on in."

Seems like Axl's entourage is quite oversensitive indeed.

This is a really sweet idea. Great job man. One itty bitty thing though not to sound like a dick but it's sometimes hard to tell who said what. For example:

"It wasn't the backline holding up the show. In fact, by the time [Axl] was finally ready to go on, we were reduced to drinking coffee, we were so bored. . .and embarrassed [Philadelphia Daily News, June 2001]"

Now who said that! Hahaha being that it's from 2001 is it someone from the new band talking about the new tour? I dunno! hahaha

Haha, you are kidding, right? There's a picture of the band member next to every quote to make it clear who said what, I have even added the band member name underneath in case people can't recognize faces:

Utennavn-7.png

this forum can be inspiring.

I get reminded why, after all is said and done,

Axl is one of my heroes.

he's raw,he doesnt give a fuck.

and he can still rock,even though its with hired hands and not

Duff etc.

the real,OG GUns N Roses.

just watch that Paris clip where he does catcher acoustic.

I'm starting to come down after the HOF debacle.

have a great day,y'all!

These quotes prove once and for all that Axl's beef with Slash runs deep, because Slash, Izzy and Duff recount very similar stories about Axl's behaviour.

But they all speak of a really good side to Axl. There is a definite love/hate thing there with all of them towards Axl.

Haha, you are kidding, right? There's a picture of the band member next to every quote to make it clear who said what, I have even added the band member name underneath in case people can't recognize faces:

Utennavn-7.png

Maybe he's seeing this somewhere the pictures don't show up, like his phone, or, maybe NetScape I guess :shrugs:

Utennavn-7.png

I should have assumed it was my work computer blocking stuff again. I can't see the images (I can't see the one you posted here either just says "Posted Image" to me) but I can't even see the names at the bottom. which is odd.... Good to know they're there though I'll look at this on my home comp.

Finally got home and found the bit about Axl and Johnny Thunders in Duff's book...

Duff talking about meeting and opening for Johnny Thunders at Fender's Ballroom in 1986: "...Unfortunately, one of the first things that happened when we got down to Fender's for the show was that Johnny started to chat up Axl's girlfriend Erin while we were onstage doing sound check. Johnny also where he could score come dope. Axl flipped out when he got wind that Johnny had hit on Erin, and began a tirade back-stage. Axl could be intimidating when he started yelling and carrying on. Johnny spent the rest of the night hiding in his dressing room, jonesing for a fix. Whatever remnants of a romantic and swashbuckling image I had of Johnny Thunders disappeared that night." [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p 58]

And here's some footage to go with it... :lol:

Edited by KiraMPD

I should have assumed it was my work computer blocking stuff again. I can't see the images (I can't see the one you posted here either just says "Posted Image" to me) but I can't even see the names at the bottom. which is odd.... Good to know they're there though I'll look at this on my home comp.

Ah, haha. You can't see the names because they are part of the pictures.

but Madagascar was the first time live with an electric guitar. I believe he was just strumming the rhythm during that one...

Yeah it was almost pointless because you couldn't even hear him. It was just for a small section of the song too. I remember watching that and thinking "...why'd he even bother?"

Finally got home and found the bit about Axl and Johnny Thunders in Duff's book...

Duff talking about meeting and opening for Johnny Thunders at Fender's Ballroom in 1986: "...Unfortunately, one of the first things that happened when we got down to Fender's for the show was that Johnny started to chat up Axl's girlfriend Erin while we were onstage doing sound check. Johnny also where he could score come dope. Axl flipped out when he got wind that Johnny had hit on Erin, and began a tirade back-stage. Axl could be intimidating when he started yelling and carrying on. Johnny spent the rest of the night hiding in his dressing room, jonesing for a fix. Whatever remnants of a romantic and swashbuckling image I had of Johnny Thunders disappeared that night." [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p 58]

Excellent, thanks! I've added the quote, AND also added it to the relevant gig thread: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1065-19861221-fender-s-ballroom-los-angeles-usa#2686 [Another database under construction].

And here's some footage to go with it... :lol:

Axl went full Mickey at the end.

Awesome video though, thanks.