This I Love Origins

Guest Broskirose

Guest Broskirose

Ok, we know that This I Love is the oldest song on Chinese Democracy. We know it had been in the making since the 90's.

I think it's safe to assume that TIL suffered the same raping of the soul that many CD tracks had. I read a quote once where someone said TIL used to just be Axl and a piano. I think that would have hit so much harder and been such a better presentation of the song. No orchestra, no 20 vocal layers on the chorus. Just Axl and a piano. It probably could have been the best GNR ballad of all time.

I was listening to the HOB 2001 bootleg and I realised that the

that Axl plays before November Rain has a similar chord progession to the chorus in TIL. Not in the same key, but very similar if you listen to the left hand. Then I realised that that piano peice is the same thing he played in the beggining of the Estranged piano demo...

Here is a Seattle piano solo from 1992. Again, listen to the left hand.

I'm not saying Axl was consciously making TIL before the Ilusions were even recorded. But, it does seem like he had been fooling around with that progression for a long time. Just something interesting I noticed.

Edited by Broskirose

Guest Broskirose

Wasn't TIL supposed to be on a 1993 movie soundtrack?

No, it was a 1998 movie called What Dreams May Come.

Edited by Broskirose

Guest Broskirose

For those still having trouble hearing the resemblance go to about 20 seconds in on the Seattle video and listen to the chords played by Axl's left hand. Compare to TIL's chorus.

For the Estranged demo go to the very beggining. Again just listen to the chords.

For those still having trouble hearing the resemblance go to about 20 seconds in on the Seattle video and listen to the chords played by Axl's left hand. Compare to TIL's chorus.

For the Estranged demo go to the very beggining. Again just listen to the chords.

Thanks, I can hear it now.

I wish Axl would still do piano solos like this before November Rain rather than the same one each night.

Guest Broskirose

Thanks, I can hear it now.

I wish Axl would still do piano solos like this before November Rain rather than the same one each night.

Me too. This is my absolute favorite Axl piano piece from Tokyo 2009. I bet it's from some unreleased song from the CD sessions.

Totally sucks TIL was never used in what dreams may come.... great movie and the song would have fit perfectly, dumbass director should have got a slap. If Axl would have released it then perhaps his motivation to get things out sooner would have been affected.

I too wish Axl would change up his piano solos... they used to have way more passion than the current Elton John tribute

Many people already know this, but may as well add it to the thread. This is a quote from a Hit Parader (Andy Secher!) interview with Axl. According to the 2005 reprint, the interview is from 1992, although it is possible it was actually from 1993.

HP: What lies ahead for you and the band?

AXL: Slash as been working on a lot of things, working on a lot of riffs with the band. I’ve just been working on where my head’s at on things so I can approach the next record in a way that lets me go to farther extremes. If I’m going to express anger, I want to take that farther, and if I’m expressing happiness and joy I want to take that farther too. We really haven’t really sat down to collaborate on songs yet. I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called This I Love, that’s the heaviest thing that I’ve ever done. Other than that, we’re not even sure how we’re gonna approach writing for this next album. Last time Slash would write his songs, I would write mine and Izzy would write his, and then we’d put ‘em all together. Well, this time there’s no Izzy, and Slash isn’t writing just his songs – it’s gonna be more of a collaboration thing. We don’t know if we’re gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we’re not sure about the writing.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=146

Guest Broskirose

Here's some stuff from Chinese Whispers.

This I Love is another old track that might've been drawn back into the mix in 2000, after it last surfaced in 1998, as a possible inclusion to the What Dreams May Come soundtrack. Howard Karp worked on the song at that time as an assistant engineer to Caram Costanzo and producer Roy Thomas Baker.

"I only worked with Axl, no one else, it was a solo piano piece. I heard nothing else. Axl was cool, two short evenings, nothing too eventful." (Howard Karp, 01/19/04)

"It was very boring, sorry to say, just Axl and his piano (no singing) and a bunch of idiots running around catering to him and stroking him. I don't know if they'll ever release anything... shame." (Howard Karp, 03/13/04)

I always thought this song would have been amazing for a Hollywood love movie!

Imagine if Twighlight used this song!

It would have had a good chance of taking off!

No one in the general public has heard of it! Its a shame!

I know where your coming from but I'd rather this song become a unexpected favorite people discover when they listen to "Chinese Democracy" or go to a show, particularly if they haven't paid interest to the new music or haven't seen them live before.

I wouldn't want to ever hear this song become a radio staple, overplayed and become bland, quoted by miserable Twilight fans cutting the lyrics into their wrists etc.

Otherwise, I like the version on the album particularly the orchestration and Robin's solo but It would be great if there exists an earlier recording solo or with acoustic guitar etc, a little more raw.

Edited by ben

I love the arrangement and the melody but the moon/June/spoon lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

definitely one of the songs on ChiDem that i go back and forth on - on one hand i really like it and think the melody is quite gorgeous and 'get' the whole vibe axl was going for, but at the same time the production quality bothers me sometimes, as do the lyrics. but i still really love the song. this is my favourite live performance:

I can hear the resemblance, like it wayyyyy more than This I Love... there's some corny songs that I absolutely love but that isn't one of them. Could have been amazing as like a solo piano/vocal piece though, I just can't take the studio version seriously with all the programmed strings n shit :shrugs: