What's wrong with Riad?

TeeJay410

I remember Riad being one of the more popular songs when it was debuted live in 2002 and when it leaked. What has made it so unpopular? Was it the 45ish second stolen ambient noise before the song kicks in (that's my main gripe)? Or was it the new solo? Do the ooo's and ah's annoy you?

It's one of my favorites on the album, the "all my salvation" parts are some of my favorite Axl vocals ever, sounds most like his old self. It is one of the few true rockers on the record. So sound off, what are your thoughts?

I just think lyrically Axl was mailing it in. Smacks of laziness and filler. Music was good though.

The whole concept, Riad and the Bedouins, is cool IMO, the title itself is epic....I've always loved the Mid-East, ancient Arabia and it's tribes and the like, infecting rock--Like the song Kashmir. Riad is like a funk rock meets Led Zeppelin song about a guy named Riad and a bunch of bandits in the desert, and they didn't stop Axl cause he's fucking crazy. It's one of the actually FUN moments on the album, even though Axl wrote it about something deeper.

I've always described Riad as a "buzzsaw," and honestly this song, along with songs like Better, TWAT,etc. are kind of what I envisioned and hoped for back when I first started following the CD project and hearing descriptions like "Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor" from Rolling Stone.

I can understand why people may not like it, as it's kind of "herky jerky" in its structure, but to me it's good, energetic (and frenetic) hard rock song with a great groove to it. The drumming is tremendous, the guitars during the chorus sound just awesome. The double up, harmonized vocals during the chorus sound awesome to me. I disagree with the lyrics. While there are a couple of songs on the album with lyrics I don't particularly care for (If The World and This I Love, for example) but the lyrics here are pretty cool, they're kind of esoteric but I love the chorus, and the "I don't give a fuck about them cuz I am crazy," which to me is vintage Axl. Hardest rocking song on the album from start to finish

I get why some people may not like the "oh, oh, oh" wails but it's definitely a little nod/tribute to Immigrant Song, and to me it kind of fits the song

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Guest Broskirose

I love the lyrics. The song was way better in 2001 though.

I've been thinking of getting this tattooed

Sands of time and desert winds

:shrugs:

The intro. Quiet, unnecessary intros always ruin songs for me (with the exception of Sign of the Cross by Iron Maiden; that intro is killer!).

I love the song once it kicks in, but sometimes I get impatient and skip over it. I like Scraped as well, but the intro, again, ruins it. Chinese Democracy is another one. It's just unnecessary.

The songs themselves are fantastic, but the intros are just so off-putting.

By the way, IRS's lyrics are actually pretty awesome if you think of it as, like, Axl's headspace when writing the album, y'know? It's a cool psychological experience, in my opinion. Besides, paranoid lyrics are classic Axl.

The intro. Quiet, unnecessary intros always ruin songs for me (with the exception of Sign of the Cross by Iron Maiden; that intro is killer!).

I love the song once it kicks in, but sometimes I get impatient and skip over it. I like Scraped as well, but the intro, again, ruins it. Chinese Democracy is another one. It's just unnecessary.

The songs themselves are fantastic, but the intros are just so off-putting.

By the way, IRS's lyrics are actually pretty awesome if you think of it as, like, Axl's headspace when writing the album, y'know? It's a cool psychological experience, in my opinion. Besides, paranoid lyrics are classic Axl.

I think I.R.S. has some of the best lyrics off the album. The chorus is gimmicky and that's why it's often cited as lazy, etc., but the verses are classic Axl, and if you take the chorus within the context of the song, it works. I don't know exactly why but something about the sound and the lyrics has always struck me as being a spiritual sequel to You Could Be Mine...in fact, along with Out Ta Get Me, it forms a nice trilogy of Paranoid Axl.

I like the energy and lyrics and solos with burst of strings is an awesome moment.

Silkworms, Riad, Chi dem would have been a nasty way to start a record. Throw in Oh My God and it's pretty heavy.

Sorry could have been a cover of Poles Apart too. Chi dem could have been More than a Feeling. Shacklers is basically Four Lame Black top by Zombie. TIL is like Too Much Love will Kill You by Queen. SOD must be an Elton song on red bull.

Hopefully they cover No Quarter on CD II.