I figured out why Axl said "Come on!" in this Video

Tyler Drama

I remember after all the videos got put up from the Hiro Ballroom, one video in particular stood out. Paradise City. At about 6:06 in this video, Axl yells "COME ON!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m2zdUV1Zmg

At the time, we couldn't really figure out why he shouted it. We thought maybe it was at Chris for some reason. But recently, there was a discussion in one thread about how Axl always yells at Frank. I realized that that is indeed what he is doing here. He's dancing around the stage, listening to the music, and waiting for Frank to give him the cue to start singing again. After Axl feels like he's waited too long, he yells "COME ON!" at Frank, implying that he should have given him the cue already. That's why Frank gives him the cue at the transition into the next measure. Because Axl yelled at him.

I was just happy I finally figured this out.

Yup.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broskirose

Let's just retitle this the Axl Berating Frank In Public Thread

Edited by Broskirose

At one of the Hammerstein shows I remember Axl stopping Nightrain and starting over again because Frank didn't go into the first verse at the right time. I'm not having any luck finding it on YouTube.

Found it...terrible quality though

Edited by craigers

At one of the Hammerstein shows I remember Axl stopping Nightrain and starting over again because Frank didn't go into the first verse at the right time. I'm not having any luck finding it on YouTube.

Pretty sure that was Brain. Frank didn't come into the picture until the European Tour in 2006, and took over officially on the North American tour that year.

That's not Frank though. He joined about a month later.

That was Brain.

EDIT: It's funny that the reason the "Nightrain" intro has been different since 2006 is because of a one-off Kid Rock cameo

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

To be fair, those *were* billed as rehearsal shows, and he took it in stride there. No "what the fuck?!" and storming off. Say what you will, the man is a perfectionist for better or worse.

The thing that kills me is, and I hate to say it, but if Axl is a perfectionist, why doesn't he get in shape (physically and vocally) before starting new tours? He can give looks of death to bandmates but what's his excuse for sounding like hot garbage at times?

To be fair, those *were* billed as rehearsal shows, and he took it in stride there. No "what the fuck?!" and storming off. Say what you will, the man is a perfectionist for better or worse.

The thing that kills me is, and I hate to say it, but if Axl is a perfectionist, why doesn't he get in shape (physically and vocally) before starting new tours? He can give looks of death to bandmates but what's his excuse for sounding like hot garbage at times?

He might be a perfectionist in the studio. But when it comes to live settings and touring, nah..

A perfectionist would make sure he knew all the lyrics perfectly, get on stage on time, practice and get in shape before a tour, go to rehearsals etc. etc.

But I'm kind of happy it's not like that. Not sure why.. It's a rock n roll concert.

Any more videos like the one's above?

If I'm mistaken Brain is drumming here.

Guest Broskirose

Damn I hate to say this but, it just seems like Axl does not like Frank

If so i hope he replaces him before they start recording... No need to do it half way thru to delay things

lol, he likes frank.

He just has a well documented anger problem and gets mad at him on impulse.

It was Brain on drums at the Hammerstein show in question. I was there and I've never felt such a large and collective awkward moment in my life. Brain must have been getting a pretty fat paycheck to swallow being dressed down like that in front of so many people. I felt bad for Brain and ashamed of Axl for being such a prick in that moment.

It's simple really, Axl is allowed to make mistakes on stage, others are not. Axl will give band mates the look of death if they fuck up but laugh about it his own slip ups:

Yet if video existed of Detroit 2002, we'd see Axl get pissed off because someone (I believe it was Stinson) fucked up his part in Patience, resulting in Axl storming off and ending the show early (ie. before Paradise City).

It's one of the hardest things to defend against the guy.

Cheers,

Andrew

Axl has fucked up the beginning of patience so many times haha.

It's one of the hardest things to defend against the guy.

Not really that hard. It's Axls band with hired musicians. If they fuck up, he can complain as he hired them (and are paying them) to do a good job. If they mess up or don't do their job to his liking, he can complain.

But yea, it's a cocky thing. I felt sorry for Brain and Frank too.

He might be a perfectionist in the studio. But when it comes to live settings and touring, nah..

A perfectionist would make sure he knew all the lyrics perfectly, get on stage on time, practice and get in shape before a tour, go to rehearsals etc. etc.

But I'm kind of happy it's not like that. Not sure why.. It's a rock n roll concert.

Any more videos like the one's above?

i don't think he IS a perfectionist. the only reason people thought so is because ChiDem took so long to come out...but then it turns out a huge portion of it was added in/re-recorded 2 - 3 years before its release. Indeed, pretty much the only thing that WASN'T perfected? Axl's vocals - most of those final album vocals were from way earlier recordings. They sound good on the album but if he was a true perfectionist I have a feeling he'd have redone the vocals over and over obsessively, but rather it seems like he was simply content with whatever he'd laid down years prior. :shrugs: