The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

Like I said, the scripted scene was bad enough, then you've got her and Brosnan (mostly her) turning in some bad acting. The shoulder biting close-up is one of the more awkward moments in any Bond film. The relationship was not believable in the slightest. Perhaps we are over-analyzing since Tomorrow Never Dies is pretty enjoyable overall as a popcorn action flick, but still, Hatcher was bad.

That could be a new topic for us to discuss - most awkward moments in the Bond series. I'll start with a few:

- Bond asking Quarrel to fetch his shoes in Dr. No (awkwardly racist if not intended to sound that way)

- Bond dismissing The Beatles in Goldfinger (it was probably funny at the time but it retrospect it turns Bond into a total square)

- the aforementioned chemistry (or lack there of) between Bond and Paris

- Bibi trying to seduce Bond (awkward in the creepy age difference kind of way, though Roger's ice cream line is brilliant)

- May Day

Like I said, the scripted scene was bad enough, then you've got her and Brosnan (mostly her) turning in some bad acting. The shoulder biting close-up is one of the more awkward moments in any Bond film. The relationship was not believable in the slightest. Perhaps we are over-analyzing since Tomorrow Never Dies is pretty enjoyable overall as a popcorn action flick, but still, Hatcher was bad.

That could be a new topic for us to discuss - most awkward moments in the Bond series. I'll start with a few:

- Bond asking Quarrel to fetch his shoes in Dr. No (awkwardly racist if not intended to sound that way)

- Bond dismissing The Beatles in Goldfinger (it was probably funny at the time but it retrospect it turns Bond into a total square)

- the aforementioned chemistry (or lack there of) between Bond and Paris

- Bibi trying to seduce Bond (awkward in the creepy age difference kind of way, though Roger's ice cream line is brilliant)

- May Day

Automatically makes it go from awkward to awesome. My absolute favorite Bond one-liner. Some nominations:

- Any time Connery hits a woman (Not counting spankings). There's more than Tatiana, right?

- Xenia Onnatopp. Everything is so forced with her.

- Skyfall: "With pleasure, M. With pleasure." - again, so forced. As if we didn't know who the new M is. So unnatural.

I concur. The exchange could have been simplified to just Bond saying his "I look forward to our time working together" line since he acknowledges her as Miss Moneypenny anyways. I think that would have made the line more fun too because then the audience would know that Bond knew the whole time. Another fun idea (I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere) would have been to have the camera pan down as she sits at her desk to a "E. Moneypenny" name block or something to avoid the forced dialogue altogether.

Still, the scene works to do what it needs to.

Does anyone think Connery would've fit in Live and Let Die if he'd stayed around for one more film?

Not at all.

Why not? Diamonds are Forever has a similar tone.

The film would have been a little different. Live and Let Die was made for Roger Moore. The script was written for his personality.

Something you want to say to us, Miser?

The first three Roger Moore films was Moore working with everyone to find his Bond. They tried to mimic Connery with Lazenby and that didn't work out. They found it in The Spy Who Loved Me. Moore is the Bond who doesn't enjoy killing people but does it when he has to (with some exception).

Moore was alright. In fact I like what all the different actors bring to the table as Bond. It is a pity that Brosnan was handed such shitty films though, I really liked his Bond but the films were the worst in the series, apart from Goldeneye which was quite good.