The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

It's going to be a matter of when they're able to get it all together.

It prob. will be in 2015 depending on how soon they get all the pieces together. Late 2004 if they get the details worked out over the summer. I usually give a big budget film about 2 years (give or take) from the time it's officially announced to the premiere.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/1c359f20-864d-11e2-ad73-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2N1UHrhJ0

When I meet Logan, he is about to be whisked away on a 007 assignment: he is writing the next two films and has to zip off for a meeting.

I think doing back to back scripts means Daniel Craig is going to be tied up for a while, but getting a lot of money out of it. He should get the Dragon Tattoo movies out of the way.

are they going forward with the rest of the Dragon Tattoo films? Last I heard it wasn't looking good...

Don't know. I think the big problem was that it barely broke even when they released it. Supposedly Daniel Craig wants to still do it, he'll prob. get a percentage of the box office or something to keep him on.

You are all on a Guns N' Roses website. A 3-4 year wait is like, one week, on 'Axl Rose Time'.

Yea, but we're impatient :lol:

I wonder what will come first - a new Guns N' Roses album or the next Bond film. :lol:

Even though Craig denied the rumor of back to back films, I'm wondering if that's maybe what the long-term plan is to get as much out of Craig as possible. Craig denied the two part story rumor, but didn't entirely dismiss the notion of doing back to back films.

Does anyone else feel Live And Let Die is one of the best Bond films? The mix of Bond, Blaxpolitation (a genre I love), voodoo elements, early '70s NYC, exotic locales, New Orleans, the chase scenes, the humor...re-watched it the other day and it now ranks high on my list of Bond films. It doesn't veer too far into camp and balances IMO a perfect line between seriousness and comedy.

It also has one of the more down to earth plots of the series. Not a supervillain bent on world domination...Just a drug dealer looking to become a drug kingpin. And it shows Bond as very "with it" for the '70s...A much different era than when Dr. No started it all in 1962....

Revised list:

1) Goldinger

2) From Russia With Love

3) You Only Live Twice

4) Live And Let Die

5) Dr. No

6) Man with the Golden Gun

7) Diamonds Are Forever

8) The Spy Who Loved Me

9) The Living Daylights

10) Goldeneye

Edited by Vincent Vega

I felt it was fitting for 1973. Nothing more.

Because it wasn't uber dark and gritty and utterly psychological?

You know, some day, the James Bourne era will end.....

Uh, no. Don't get your panties in a twist

Everything about the film screamed early 70's. I have enjoyed Roger Moore's performance. Jane Seymour was insanely hot. It felt like every single black person is connected to Mr. Big/Kanaga, felt weird to me but I guess that was blackploitation. I felt more sorry for some of the henchmen, including the Whispering guy.

In the end, it was an okay Bond film. Did I mention Jane Seymour?

Uh, no. Don't get your panties in a twist

Everything about the film screamed early 70's. I have enjoyed Roger Moore's performance. Jane Seymour was insanely hot. It felt like every single black person is connected to Mr. Big/Kanaga, felt weird to me but I guess that was blackploitation. I felt more sorry for some of the henchmen, including the Whispering guy.

In the end, it was an okay Bond film. Did I mention Jane Seymour?

Why feel sorry for someone who works for a Heroin trafficker, and who has tried to kill the protagonist twice? Whisper was no innocent henchman.

Also, Strutter was black and wasn't connected to Kanaga. Neither was Quarrel. But a BLACK gang would have black members, I'd think. Not really racist.

What's wrong about a film screaming "early '70s"? License to Kill screams late '80s action film but don't see many criticizing that film for that aspect.

Because Licence to Kill was a better film.

So when Hitler protects his Jewish family physician from the gas chambers, does that make him not anti-Semitic? Think about what you are saying. The whole film felt uncomfortable and is somewhat rescued by scenes of incompetent southern police officers who probably spent their days abusing local black populations.

But seriously, Mr. Big had every black in Harlem working for him. Like a major conspiracy. Poor Strutter though.

Again, putting words in our mouths. Neither of us made any reference to Craig at all. We're just saying LALD was appropriate for the time, but doesn't hold up as well today. IT's just like Connery was appropriate for the 60's, except most of his films have stood the test of time.

Does anyone else feel Live And Let Die is one of the best Bond films? The mix of Bond, Blaxpolitation (a genre I love), voodoo elements, early '70s NYC, exotic locales, New Orleans, the chase scenes, the humor...re-watched it the other day and it now ranks high on my list of Bond films. It doesn't veer too far into camp and balances IMO a perfect line between seriousness and comedy.

It also has one of the more down to earth plots of the series. Not a supervillain bent on world domination...Just a drug dealer looking to become a drug kingpin. And it shows Bond as very "with it" for the '70s...A much different era than when Dr. No started it all in 1962....

Revised list:

1) Goldinger

2) From Russia With Love

3) You Only Live Twice

4) Live And Let Die

5) Dr. No

7) Diamonds Are Forever

8) The Spy Who Loved Me

9) The Living Daylights

10) Goldeneye

And really? Thunderball is the only Connery film that doesn't crack your top 10?

FWIW, I'd like to see your full list top to bottom.

Again, putting words in our mouths. Neither of us made any reference to Craig at all. We're just saying LALD was appropriate for the time, but doesn't hold up as well today. IT's just like Connery was appropriate for the 60's, except most of his films have stood the test of time.

>Does anyone else feel Live And Let Die is one of the best Bond films? The mix of Bond, Blaxpolitation (a genre I love), voodoo elements, early '70s NYC, exotic locales, New Orleans, the chase scenes, the humor...re-watched it the other day and it now ranks high on my list of Bond films. It doesn't veer too far into camp and balances IMO a perfect line between seriousness and comedy.

Revised list:

1) Goldinger

2) From Russia With Love

3) You Only Live Twice

4) Live And Let Die

5) Dr. No

7) Diamonds Are Forever

8) The Spy Who Loved Me

9) The Living Daylights

10) Goldeneye

And really? Thunderball is the only Connery film that doesn't crack your top 10?

From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball. The Holy Trinity of James Bond.

The only film ever to meet Thunderball heights and succeeded was The Spy Who Loved Me.

Because Licence to Kill was a better film.

So when Hitler protects his Jewish family physician from the gas chambers, does that make him not anti-Semitic? Think about what you are saying. The whole film felt uncomfortable and is somewhat rescued by scenes of incompetent southern police officers who probably spent their days abusing local black populations.

But seriously, Mr. Big had every black in Harlem working for him. Like a major conspiracy. Poor Strutter though.

Oh stop being so damn politically correct and overly reading into fictional characters: "incompetent southern police officers who probably spent their days abusing local black populations."

License to Kill is basically a typical brutal late '80s action film with only Dalton's great performance saving the day. It's basically Scarface-lite.

>>Does anyone else feel Live And Let Die is one of the best Bond films? The mix of Bond, Blaxpolitation (a genre I love), voodoo elements, early '70s NYC, exotic locales, New Orleans, the chase scenes, the humor...re-watched it the other day and it now ranks high on my list of Bond films. It doesn't veer too far into camp and balances IMO a perfect line between seriousness and comedy.

Revised list:

1) Goldinger

2) From Russia With Love

3) You Only Live Twice

4) Live And Let Die

5) Dr. No

7) Diamonds Are Forever

8) The Spy Who Loved Me

9) The Living Daylights

10) Goldeneye

I think as an action film it's actually held up better than some of Connery's, in terms of pacing etc. Also, Moore makes an EXCELLENT first showing as Bond. Also it's one of the most interesting Bond films IMO in terms of the locales. Lots of atmosphere.

Thunderball is a borefest to me. Always has been. Too many stupid underwater scenes. You just can't outdo a trio of films like Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger. It's a good film on it's own but considering it came on the heels of those three, it comes off as mediocre.

Edited by Vincent Vega

It was also based on Yojimbo.

Licence to Kill delivered. It broke the rules. Bond films tend to ignore the real world problems and dissolve into fantasy. LTK gave us a villain who can be based on any Drug Cartel leader past and present. To see Bond take out Sanchez and his entire organization is satisfying.

Licence To Kill feels like a typical eighties cop movie to me but it's saved by Dalton, a great villain, two good Bond girls, and good action. I still prefer The Living Daylights.

Pretty much this. The third act alone was heart stopping.

The Living Daylights could have been better if the villains were actually threatening. Not just a couple of dudes wanting to make a quick buck.