The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

The music in Thunderball is awesome too. John Barry was amazing in general.

He really was. It still blows my mind he never got nominated for an Oscar for any of his Bond work.

I also agree with your earlier post - I've been a Thunderball supporter since the first time I saw it. I prefer it to Goldfinger. I can see why some might find the underwater stuff boring, but at the same time I feel like people exaggerate how long those sequences actually are.

It's because the underwater scenes feel so goddamn long.

True, but even the John Cork documentary has the balls to claim that the underwater sequences take up a third of the film. That'd be like 40 minutes worth. It's not that long. :lol:

That's the criticism I'm criticizing - when people say too much of the film takes place underwater.

Edit: I love the new title.

Fair enough. My gripe with them is just that they drag on too long, even though they total, what - 15 minutes maybe?

That'd be my guess. 15 - 20 minutes max. My favorite of them is probably Connery in the pool with the shark. I can admit the big underwater battle at the end drags on longer than it should.

Still, much better than the final underwater battle in Never Say Never Again. :P

:vomit:

I love how we all used to be like "Oh, NSNA is entertaining if nothing else", and now after re-watching we treat it like the plague :lol:

Never Say Never Again is the plague. :lol:

I'm willing to bet MGM is trying to hold out for Mendes to become available even if it means delaying the film a couple of years (thus their statement of "within the next three years" or whatever). EON would likely be more than willing to move on with another director in the meantime and have Mendes return somewhere down the road, but I think the money Skyfall made is causing MGM to re-evaluate how they handle Bond for the remaining Daniel Craig films. I think they'd be horny to get Mendes for both.

The thing that sucks is that Daniel Craig isn't getting younger, which means that his next two will almost certainly be his last two.

Never Say Never Again is the plague. :lol:

I'm willing to bet MGM is trying to hold out for Mendes to become available even if it means delaying the film a couple of years (thus their statement of "within the next three years" or whatever). EON would likely be more than willing to move on with another director in the meantime and have Mendes return somewhere down the road, but I think the money Skyfall made is causing MGM to re-evaluate how they handle Bond for the remaining Daniel Craig films. I think they'd be horny to get Mendes for both.

The thing that sucks is that Daniel Craig isn't getting younger, which means that his next two will almost certainly be his last two.

The irony is that they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot by trying to milk the Craig era...by not milking the Craig era.

They are not going to dump Craig.

So is Mendes out or what? MGM needs to stop dicking around and find someone to direct. Plenty of people out there want the job.

The basic gist is this - EON offered Mendes an undisclosed huge amount of money to return. He sat on it for a while and decided he's not going to be able to fit it into his schedule this time around but that he'd be happy to return in the future. Barbara confirmed this and said if he's not back for Bond 24 they'd like him for the one after.

MGM steps in and says it could be up to three years before the next Bond film comes out, contradicting their earlier announcement that Bond films would be released every two years starting with Skyfall.

My educated guess is they want Mendes back at any cost, even if it means delaying the film.

So is Mendes out or what? MGM needs to stop dicking around and find someone to direct. Plenty of people out there want the job.

Fuck MGM.

Yes, fuck 'em. But if Bond 25 turns out to be awesome than praise them.

Craig will get his two films. I don't think a third will be an option. Five films is pretty good. It would put him in league with Connery, Moore and Brosnan in more ways.

The basic gist is this - EON offered Mendes an undisclosed huge amount of money to return. He sat on it for a while and decided he's not going to be able to fit it into his schedule this time around but that he'd be happy to return in the future. Barbara confirmed this and said if he's not back for Bond 24 they'd like him for the one after.

MGM steps in and says it could be up to three years before the next Bond film comes out, contradicting their earlier announcement that Bond films would be released every two years starting with Skyfall.

My educated guess is they want Mendes back at any cost, even if it means delaying the film.

The only way out is for Mendes to say "Fuck you guys, I am not doing a Bond film again." Take one for the team.

You know, it wouldn't really change the forum all that much.

Sean Connery would become the new Slash - the classic figure everybody wishes was still around. Timothy Dalton is like Buckethead - technically superior in many ways but gone too soon. His contributions to the series are excellent. MGM is like Beta - no new film on the horizon under said management.

In other words, the complaints would still be the same.

Sean Connery would become the new Slash - the classic figure everybody wishes was still around. Timothy Dalton is like Buckethead - technically superior in many ways but gone too soon. His contributions to the series are excellent. MGM is like Beta - no new film on the horizon under said management.

Who's Axl? :awesomeface:

Good question. :lol:

Blofeld?

Blofeld?

:rofl-lol: