The leftover songs from the CD era have to be poor

TyRod Tulip

We've heard the reports that GNR had 40-plus completed songs to choose from when they selected songs for CD. Doesn't it stand to reason that the best 14 we're selected? Axl wouldn't have wanted to hold back any songs that would have helped prove the naysayers wrong. Right? I mean does anyone think they picked anything but the best 14?

Given that logic (and please explain where that logic may be wrong), I'd say the leftovers are probably pretty poor. That being said, why does anyone prefer to hear them over new songs composed by the currently band? This is something I've never been able to figure out.

According to MSL, CD 1 and CD 2 were written recorded at different times and the album we have isn't just a "best of the bunch" thing.

I find that hard to believe. Axl had everything riding on the success of CD. There is no way he saved anything for a follow up that would have helped CD attain success. I believe the leftover are probably on par or worse than the weakest songs on CD.

Edited by TyRod Tulip

According to MSL, CD 1 and CD 2 were written recorded at different times and the album we have isn't just a "best of the bunch" thing.

I find that hard to believe. Axl had everything riding on the success of CD. There is no way he saved anything for a follow up that would have helped CD attain success. I believe the leftover are probably on par or worse than the weakest songs on CD.

But wasn't the tracklisting chose wayyy back before 2004? I think that was before Axl knew his success depended on CD.

We really have no way of knowing that.

Bach said that Axl chose the songs that will go on every album by the themes and how the songs work together.

In the past, songs like November Rain, You Could Be Mine, and Don't Cry which were written at the same time as the songs featured on Appetite weren't included in that album and became big hits for the band a few years later.

My guess is that Axl chose the songs by what he thought sounded good together in his first musical statement in years. I don't think that means the rest of the material sucks.

Even that small checkmate leak sounded good to me.

And btw, I prefer and many others it seems, to hear the Chinese leftovers because I like what Bucket and Robin created with Axl.

That line up was strong in the studio and I like what they did with Chinese Democracy. So that's why I want the old material.

Edited by Rovim

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

That 16 seconds clip we've got of Checkmate or whatever it's called sounds good. I fear that if we ever hear CD II though, it will have songs like Silkworms, Blood In The Water and Oh My God though. I couldn't imagine a bigger disaster. More songs in the calibre of Shackler's Revenge, Rhiad N' The Beduins, Scraped and similar crap. No thanks. I fear you're right. Next album will (if we play with the thought that it will be released) be awful based on that.

Well, if he planned making two or three or four albums out of forty something songs, then it does not logically follow that the best were all on the first one; in fact, just the opposite seems more plausible.

Agreed. Also, Axl said he considers Chinese Democracy as a double album. If that's true, then it makes no sense to put all the good songs on the first disk and the weaker material in the second, unreleased disc.

Not to mention Axl's "vision" for the album needs to also, you know, make money. So since Chi Dem he's been testing the waters and getting a feel for what people want, , what HE wants, what's relevant, what's best for the name GNR, etc. But what's become clear is best for the band in my opinion involves getting rid of some of the hired hands, Axl humbling himself and realizing that Gnr is more than he understands. Either Stradlin/Rose album or full blown reunion as Gnr. Or Buckethead and Brain or Freese.

CD sessions had many songs. More than twice what Chinese Democracy had. If they chose the best out of 32+ songs how did IRS make it? lol

Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, The General, etc. are said to be "big guns" from the CD sessions.

We must be patient.

CD sessions had many songs. More than twice what Chinese Democracy had. If they chose the best out of 32+ songs how did IRS make it? lol

Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, The General, etc. are said to be "big guns" from the CD sessions.

We must be patient.

IRS is actually one of the most well-received songs on CD by casuals.

In my opinion, for Axl to have shelled out some serious money for the services of Marco Beltrami on tracks including The General and Seven, I personally believe the best may be yet to come.

I just hope in my heart that the wait isn't too long...

Edited by gavgnr

You're wrong because you haven't heard them. Period. Just like I would be wrong if I said they were the greatest things ever. See how that works?

Exactly. This thread is essentially pointless speculation.

How many "Not ready yet" songs have leaked and been amazing? Axl is a perfectionist. The fact that Axl will work and rework a song until it's "perfect" in his mind. A song not being perfect and being terrible are two different animals.

Bottom line is we heard many things from people through the years. Obviously things can change over eight or ten years. We also heard like 32 were ready and they'd pick from that based on what's right for the record. Don't know if there will be a progression because we don't have the record as it was when he gave that interview, and we don't have the second record in any form now, so we don't know. Maybe there was supposed to be, maybe he figured that idea was bad or doesnt work anymore

IRS is great live and it's too bad it has been so long sine it has been done. The vocal take on the record doesn't do the song justice.

Things have changed, he wanted to put the albums out closer. No record label, no idea if any record company even wants to work with them anymore, Between what Sorum and Alice Cooper said, he came up with 3 songs in 7 years. Sounds like writers' block to me.

Bottom line is we heard many things from people through the years. Obviously things can change over eight or ten years. We also heard like 32 were ready and they'd pick from that based on what's right for the record. Don't know if there will be a progression because we don't have the record as it was when he gave that interview, and we don't have the second record in any form now, so we don't know. Maybe there was supposed to be, maybe he figured that idea was bad or doesnt work anymore

IRS is great live and it's too bad it has been so long sine it has been done. The vocal take on the record doesn't do the song justice.

Wtf? I think you've got it backwards. The studio take it one of the best vocal tracks in rock history. Live he cant pull it off, or, at best he goes bloodcurdling which to me just isnt pleasing sounding in that song.

Wasn't there a last minute swap of tracks? I forget which, or even if it was stated which track got swapped, but it makes you think what we could've had. Was it Lies they tell?

Also, Axl didn't want This I Love on the record and caved in to the band members wanting it on. I'm not sure how CD's tracklisting was decided, I somehow doubt it was decided way before 2004/5 though.

Better was written fairly later on from what I've heard. Brian said his favourite song is Atlas Shrugged. Classic Rock magazine called it November rain meets 80's glam rock as well as this - Tom Zutaut has said it's his favourite too.

Gimmie Atlas.