Axl Rose on Jimmy Kimmel talk show Discussion Thread

ppruks

People will always love the old band,not saying that people would never love/like new band.

But in the hearts of the general public,it's old GN'R

Doesn't matter who's in the band when people hear WTJ,SCOM,PC,etc they think of the old band

Of course they will. However- there comes a time when it's literally like rooting for your divorced parents to get back together 16 years after the fact and after they've re-married. People just need to let go- and I fucking LOVE "Old Guns" (band of my youth, etc.).

The fact of the matter is that Axl is a legend and so is Slash. One's 50 and the other is approaching it in a few years. It's far past time IMHO that the "general public" starts just being grateful for the "magic" that was there in the 80s/90s and celebrates both in their current endeavors without insisting on a reunion.

Let's just enjoy these guys in what they're doing, hope and pray they each share more music with us individually and leave it at that. Save the "reunion" for everytime we fire up AFD on our car stereo systems. It wouldn't ever get any better than that anyway..

PS sorry SweetRose- not directed at you at all. I AGREE with what your saying actually (i.e. folks will think of Old Guns when they hear the classics). Just more a vent towards the issue of reunion talk generally (which you didn't specifically mention). :)

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they will. However- there comes a time when it's literally like rooting for your divorced parents to get back together 16 years after the fact and after they've re-married. People just need to let go- and I fucking LOVE "Old Guns" (band of my youth, etc.).

The fact of the matter is that Axl is a legend and so is Slash. One's 50 and the other is approaching it in a few years. It's far past time IMHO that the "general public" starts just being grateful for the "magic" that was there in the 80s/90s and celebrates both in their current endeavors without insisting on a reunion.

Let's just enjoy these guys in what they're doing, hope and pray they each share more music with us individually and leave it at that. Save the "reunion" for everytime we fire up AFD on our car stereo systems. It wouldn't ever get any better than that anyway..

amazing post

Fuckin fantastic to see Axl, thought he was hilarious.

Jimmy Kimmel sucked and should be shamed as a journalist for that interview, god awful.

Who the hell said Jimmy Kimmel was a fuckin "jounalist"? He is a comedian and a late nite entertainer. His shows are funny and basically 30 minute commercials for all types of celebrities. Slash has been doing them for years. See his book tour.

Wasn't saying that meaning that I personally was rooting for a reunion.

Absolutely. Please see my PS in that post. Sorry about that. As I said- I was trying to agree with you and then ended up on a diatribe on something else. Getting late. Lol!!

LOL think we were both editing at the same time or something…we're good!

Also interesting that the last five/six years were some of the most fun Axl has had. Guess he's not counting 2008 in that span considering in 2009 he said that the previous year was the worst year of his life.

All in all, a fun interview as a fan. Wish Axl would do more of these things. Might open him up to the world a bit more. Also a nice touch with the tickets and burgers. Anyone who watched the interview that was on the fence about going to a show in Vegas because they think Axl is a dick might have had a change of heart.

It was interesting that he said if he could do one year over (or whatever it was) he said within the last five years. Probably goes back to 08/09 when he said it was the worst year of his life.

At first I interpreted the question exactly as you did, as which year he would do again differently. However it turns out the question was actually which year was so good that he'd like to do it again. He confirms this by explaining his answer with "trying to have a little more fun now".

So nobody has mentioned yet Axl dressing up as a giant ear of corn? :laugh:

Was I the only one that thought it was a little awkward when axl out of the blue tole people to check under their seats for tickets and then gave everyone hamburgers?

Who doesnt like tickets and hamburgers? Are you some kind of Nazi?

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Axl also mentioned the band "Sweet" as an influence along with Queen and Elton...first time I've heard him mention them I think in an interview.

He mentioned them in a magazine interview from the 80's, don't have a direct source but the picture is on this forum. Thank you axl for agreeing to this and jimmy for having him on, way better mood than expected and the halloween tree was simply brilliant. He also looked great for somebody pushing 51.

It makes sense considering he grew up on mid 70s hard rock - it was prob. a time he felt liberated from the church music he was told not to listen to.

Where are the end of Bumble Doomsdayers? WHERE ? WHERE? WHERE?

Why not celebrate the positive?

If you don't want people to have negative comments, why start the trash talking? All that does is start up the negativity.

I'm celebrating the positive alright - it's fabulous to see Bumblefoot, alive and kicking as Guns N' Roses' lead guitarist and to proclaim it loud and proud on a GUNS N' ROSES FORUM, especially when the man and the band he plays in have so many detractors.

If THAT is your definition of trash talking, spare me Groghan. I've seen how you've evolved from being a really great poster to someone who turns a blind eye from the real trash talking going on on this forum - if you really want to be above board and fair minded, it would be really nice to see you go at some of the rabid anti-Axl, anti-GN'R posters on here and not just pretend to call out people who you think foster 'negativity' especially when most of the 'negativity' on here is directed towards the band that this forum supports. In your attempts to appear balanced and fair, the overwhelming majority of your posts extolling peace and love are directed towards those who express frustration at people coming on to this forum and slagging Axl and Guns. You can come back to me and talk about negativity after I see you call out the of dozens of consistently imbalanced Axl and Guns N' Roses baiters who post here not to celebrate this band but to tear it down. Please feel free to PM me if you want to continue this conversation. Having once seen you in a very different light, I don't want to bring half a dozen other names into this or continue the discussion in public.

Thanks.

Edited by The Archer

I thought he came off as a friendly, nice, if shy guy. Which is better than pretty much every interview he's ever done, even if it was fluff. He came off much nicer and at ease than TMS interview. It was nice. He's still a ginger Hoosier at heart.

amazing post

Thanks so much Bran. It just occurred to me watching Axl tonight how much of a prisoner all the guys- but especially Axl and Slash- have been to reunion speculations- and I just feel like it's time to move on. Axl showed tonight that he's one of the funnier, more charming and authentic people in entertainment- but sadly he's seemingly forced himself into "bunker" mode the last 16 years b/c of residual "general public anger" about the band break-up and his refusal to reunite. That's everyone's loss and particularly music's loss.

The "general public" clearly didn't like the decisions Axl made in the mid 90s in taking the name. Fine- but it seems to me he's been sufficiently flogged the last 16 years. Hell even West Germany was eventually re-admitted to the "club of civilized nations" 10 or so years after WW II. Cut the guy some slack and enjoy him while we got 'em 'cuz he's an original and there won't be another like him once he hangs it up. Extend Slash and the others the very same courtesy while we're at it too (i.e. maybe spare Slash the obligatory Axl/reunion questions the next time he's got a new album out or whatever)...

Just my .02 cents. :)

amazing post

Thanks so much Bran. It just occurred to me watching Axl tonight how much of a prisoner all the guys- but especially Axl and Slash- have been to reunion speculations- and I just feel like it's time to move on. Axl showed tonight that he's one of the funnier, more charming and authentic people in entertainment- but sadly he's seemingly forced himself into "bunker" mode the last 16 years b/c of residual "general public anger" about the band break-up and his refusal to reunite. That's everyone's loss and particularly music's loss.

The "general public" clearly didn't like the decisions Axl made in the mid 90s in taking the name. Fine- but it seems to me he's been sufficiently flogged the last 16 years. Hell even West Germany was eventually re-admitted to the "club of civilized nations" 10 or so years after WW II. Cut the guy some slack and enjoy him while we got 'em 'cuz he's an original and there won't be another like him once he hangs it up. Extend Slash and the others the very same courtesy while we're at it too (i.e. maybe spare Slash the obligatory Axl/reunion questions the next time he's got a new album out or whatever)...

+1

It's just awesome seeing again how cool and FUNNY Axl is when he's spontaneous. If everyone can move on and let the man live his life on his own terms, it would be better for everyone all around.

My boy fucking killed it.

I was going to go out tonight with my friends, but i deliberately stayed in to watch Axl. I'm glad I did. Watching that live was something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I've been a fan since the years of silence. Even post-silence, Axl at most did pre-approved Del-James-qualified interviews. This was a huge step. And he fucking nailed it. He was great.

This is EXACTLY what he needed to do in 2002 to qualify his group as a new incarnation of GN'R. Maybe it took him 10 years to figure it out, but oh well, here he is. And look at how the crowd loved him. Look at how he's trending on Twitter (in a positive way) and earning goodwill from fans.

If Axl hadn't been so worried about how people would misperceive him over the past decade, they might have perceived him in a better light. I know he's just trying to sell Vegas tickets, but i really hope he continues doing interviews like this. So refreshing to hear him introduce the new bandmembers on a public channel for the first time in the near-two-decades since he hired them (I'm looking at Stinson, Reed, Fortus, Pitman, et al).

From an objective standpoint, I've rarely heard a late-show crowd applaud for someone like they did for Axl. Yeah, they tell the audience to applause via signs (hello Larry Sanders fans!) but that shit went on for a lengthy amount of time. People still love Axl Rose. He just needs to show up once in a while to receive the love.

amazing post

And another great post. Thank you :)

i think jimmy kimmel should've asked axl about CD2. the better music video. robin finck. buckethead. brain. the chinese democracy album. 2006 RIR. 2002 MTV VMA. if CD2 comes out in 2012. when there'll be a new guns n roses single on itunes for purchase and download. jimmy kimmel didn't ask the tough questions. axl didn't offer answers or to talk about the tough issues even when kimmel wasn't going to talk about it. nothings changed. it's funny chinese democracy insider MSL knows and talks more about guns n roses business than axl rose does on TV or on the internet. axl didn't talk guns n' roses business on Kimmel. maybe i should've known better.

Edited by finck6